Paxton useres - Oil pooling

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been noticing an oil build up in the front of the engine. After the last Viper Days I decide to take a closer look. When taking off the intake plenum, I saw a pool of oil in the transitions between the plenum and the SC. There was also another pool between the SC and the intercooler. The release valve was completely covered in oil. The area around the release vale was completely covered in oil. Not sure at this point where the oil is coming from. It could be leaking from the SC or I could be coming from the valve cover hose through a faulty PCV. Anyone seen this?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like pullover. Mine has been completely dry so far (about 3000 miles). Check the pcv valve position and make sure the check valve is working. Barring that the only thing I can think of is to add a puke can.

Note, if you have a lot of pullover you need to get it before it fills the area between the supercharger and the intercooler. It may get up in the intercooler and act like a plug.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Viper GMC,

Yes, if you drive the car aggressively, you will blow oil into the air box. This oil ends up in the supercharger and eventually blows out all over the place, probably through the blow off valve on the drivers side of the engine.

The easiest fix is to buy a small Moroso oil catch can (Summit Racing) and attach the hose from the valve cover (that now attaches to the air box) to the catch can. You can mount the catch can up front, drivers side below the upper radiator hose. You will need some fitting, so check with Summit. I ended up buying the fittings from an outfit called TRP in Anaheim, CA. If you need help, email me and I'll get you in touch with them.

This solved my problems, but it took some time and new spark plugs to get the car running right again. Don't forget to plug the hole in the air box.

I also would check your PCV valve and make sure it is right side up and working. I changed the small rubber hoses connecting the PCV valve to the intake manifold and enlarged the hose that goes from the left valve cover to the catch can. I also added real hose clamps to all of the hoses and went to a 2005 valve cover (Parts Rack) on the driver's side because the breather vent tube is located at the front (2004 is at the rear). Under hard acceleration, the oil was forced back to the rear of the valve cover and pushed out by the internal pressures created by the supercharger.

I too track and drag my car. I noticed this very early on but was surprised by it as well. It made quite a mess. I pulled my lower front cover (at the lower front fascia) and cleaned every thing up. It has also likely killed my converters.

Depending upon how hard you drive the car, you will likely need to empty the catch can about once every 6 months or so, though I do it probably every 1000 miles, so get one with a valve on the bottom.

Good luck,

Dan

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, I have tracked my car and did not have any pullover. It can't be just luck. Does yours have the pcv valve at the rear of the valve cover or at the front? 2003's have it at the rear.
Here is what mine looks like and it has been great so far. You can also check your crankcase pressure to verify that it is not being pressurized.

498100_0747-med.JPG

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting, great feedback. I drive extremely aggressive and your comments make a lot of sense. I especially notice it after being at the track, so the SC pressure along with the oil being thrown back under acceleration seems logical. I already changed the hose and used real hose clamps, just like the picture above. I will look into the oil trap and the valve cover. I have already started cleaning things up and will be going to high-flo cats this week, so I shouldn’t have to worry about the cats.

Indecently, I was warned by the Archer bros that hard driving will take its toll on the EOM cats and cause them to over heat and could cause a fire, they have seen it twice. That was enough to scare me into replacing the cats ASAP. I have stripped down the cats and found the insulation and rubber mounts completely baked.

Thanks

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also be careful. Oil pullover will lower the effective octane and result in detonation. Not good in a supercharged car!

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I talked to Paxton and they confirmed that the oil on some cars can flow through and they confirmed the easiest solution is the catch can. Ordered the can from Summit but it pretty big. I am cutting it down a little and will see if it can be placed down below. Not sure how ViperX put it up front under the radiator inlet, have pictures?

Though the engine bay was a real mess and I did suffer from being 2 quarts low on oil at the track, no damage is evident anywhere. I opened the oil filter and no metal at all so I should be in good shape. Paxton was great in terms of ordering a new PCV and filter. They gave me 30% off and paid for the overnight shipping.

Thinking back, BeaveRun’s front straight away starts up hill, so hard acceleration at an incline at full boost would push the oil to the back of the cover and **** it up like a straw.

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Checked my airbox...totally dry ! My small oil leak is coming from the seal itself in the supercharger :( .. Its being sent back for an overnite fix (i hope)...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At WOT the PCV check valve should be closed (due to pressurized intake) with the only PCV flow the make up air line that goes to the air box providing any out flow. If you have oil coming from that side it IS due to the crankcase being pressurized from either PCV valve leakage or high blowby. I would try a new valve first. If ineffective I would block the PCV hose entirely and observe the amount of blowby. Excess blowby could be an indicator of a more serious issue.

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I talked to Paxton and they confirmed that the oil on some cars can flow through and they confirmed the easiest solution is the catch can. Ordered the can from Summit but it pretty big. I am cutting it down a little and will see if it can be placed down below. Not sure how ViperX put it up front under the radiator inlet, have pictures?

Though the engine bay was a real mess and I did suffer from being 2 quarts low on oil at the track, no damage is evident anywhere. I opened the oil filter and no metal at all so I should be in good shape. Paxton was great in terms of ordering a new PCV and filter. They gave me 30% off and paid for the overnight shipping.

Thinking back, BeaveRun’s front straight away starts up hill, so hard acceleration at an incline at full boost would push the oil to the back of the cover and **** it up like a straw.

Don't know if this would help with your situation but for blow by I use a Racor CCV system for Caterpillar T/A diesel engines, its small, it filters the oil and puts the oil back into the engine crank case. I would agree with GR8_ASP comments as well.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil pullover will lower the effective octane and result in detonation.
aka pinging, sounds like sand hitting the wheels or similar. Check out Dimitrios post on this. He's going thru' an expensive rebuild.

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No panic here, just a little oil blowing by the PCV. I employed a catch can and all is clean and an back in order. Thanks ViperX for the catch can suggestion. I ended up cutting the Moroso container by 2” and mounted it just next to the alternator and then just ran the hose right to it. Did some heavy driving this weekend and no oil.

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is the solution that I came up with and it seems to work just fine. I’ll be at the track Saturday for the real test.

8021DSC03861-med.JPG

8021DSC03860-med.JPG

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures........do you happen to know the moroso part #

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must apologize for even asking since I'm so clueless when it comes to stuff like this...so what you guys are saying is that there a valve that shoots oil out when you drive the car real hard and what you need to do is get a catch can and connect the valve to that so the oil shoots into the catch can which can eventualy be emptied out?? Am I missing something??

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
ViperGMC,

Glad you got it fixed. The little Moroso catch can solved my oil puking problems too. I had roller rockers installed on my engine, so I probably have more oil "up high" in the engine than those with the stock rocker arms.

I ran the Viper Days event last weekend at Spring Mountain in 100 degree heat and had no issues. Spring Mountain is a smaller, twisty track. Spent most of the time in 2nd and 3rd gears. Lots of up and down. Puked only 3 or 4 ounces in 7 thirty minute sessions, so it's not so bad. It sure looks like more oil than it is when it's being blown out and about, as you know.

Your mounting spot is very creative. As I mentioned before, I stuck my catch can under the radiator hose on the drivers side. I can access the drain valve from there when I'm changing the oil, so it worked out pretty well.

Good luck,

Dan :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960