Paying OVER MSRP for a Ford Escape?? Why!

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hybrid.

Crapy, yes but that's the car dealer system in this country.
And it is going to get worse as dealers are being bought by single companies.

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can bet most of those people didn't read the description too good, and don't know that they're bidding over the sticker price. Can't think of many people that would go 10,000 over on a $30,000 vehicle.

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can bet most of those people didn't read the description too good, and don't know that they're bidding over the sticker price. Can't think of many people that would go 10,000 over on a $30,000 vehicle.

Yep, seems like some here didn't read it either!! :p

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While it definitely is not a Viper topic, I can add a little light to this: Hybrids such as this Escape, the Toyota Prius, and Honda Insight are all in such demand that the supply can't keep up. And let me tell you why: Many of these make ZERO profit for the manufacturer and they have little incentive to build them to satisfy that demand. For example, Ford loses approximately $3,000 per Escape hybrid that they build - and that is with the customer paying $3,500 more than a regular Escape MSRP vs. MSRP. They won't publish that fact, but they are built here in Kansas City and I have good contacts there (got to check out the 2006 Mazda Tribute the other day). The simple fact is that demand is FAR outstripping supply and just like anything, the price reflects it.

So, the question is how long will it take for this eBay bidder to recover the $10,000 premium PLUS the $3500 Hybrid charge based on fuel savings? A loooong time...

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's at $10K, what are you guys talking about? :confused:

I think they are being very dishonest here. The auction states the MSRP is 29 and some change. Goes on to say your bid is added to the MSRP. Hense, 39 and some change currently. I bet most of the people that bid on it did not read that!

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember when the new Volkswagon bug came out a few years ago and the dealers were getting like $5000 over sticker....now they're a dime a dozen!!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's just the way it is. Remember when the Miata first came out. Dealers were getting six figures for one.

All the other OEM's are scrambling to put together Hybrids right now. In a few years when the market is more saturated they will start making a profit.

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On top of the few thousand dollars the manufactures are losing, the US Government (or should I say ‘all of us’) is kicking in thousands for each Hybrid vehicle as Government kickbacks to help defray the enormous tooling a development costs incurred with Hybrids. In California at least, 10% of all vehicle offerings from each manufacturer must be Hybrid by I think 2010 or they cannot sell in California – maybe nationwide for all I know. The manufactures are being squeezed by the Government and the ‘greenies’.

The only folks benefiting from ‘green’ cars at this point in time is the lame **** greenies that pay premium sticker prices so they can ‘feel’ better about driving a car with a Hybrid badge over the tailpipe. Do the math. Unless you drive just silly amounts of miles each day, savings in fuel costs vs. premium selling price will not be recovered if you own a hybrid for a normal length of time (4-6 years).

You will be saving some fuel though. Still questionable technology, financially speaking, at this juncture.

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, $10,000 can buy a lot of gas.

That's exactly what I was thinking!! :D

Or they could buy a Honda Insight, and get 75mpg, and save tons of trees and have money to donate to the Tree Huggers Fund! :p

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are so shallow!! Its not about saving money on gas, its about saving the environment!!

Plant a tree! Bang a fat chick!! Do your part in making the world a better place......

Eddie

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are so shallow!! Its not about saving money on gas, its about saving the environment!!

Plant a tree! Bang a fat chick!! Do your part in making the world a better place......

Eddie

hahahaha...tree huggers paying 10k over msrp for an escapse....priceless

cobramadness

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bet broi74 is going to crap when he gets his invoice for $40k on a Ford Escape.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw one of these at a local dealership available to buy for $32K. You would figure that most people would just shop around to find one where they are not in such local demand.

I'd personally rather buy one for $30K from some far away dealer (and pay another $1K for shipping) than pay $40K!

Still, I've seen so many of these e-bay auctions where someone wins the bid with $10K or $20K, only to later discover that the price was supposed to be on top of MSRP. :eek:

It's so common that you often see the seller posting in HUGE flashing type that this is the price over the normal purchase price, and commenting that this is the third or forth time that they have had to post the ad because the buyers didn't understand this. :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang