PCM Question

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Also Posted in Racing/Dyno)...

I had a friend over yesterday checking out my Viper. He's been drag racing for years and the first thing he asked me was if I had upgraded the PCM. (He's not a Viper or Mopar guy) When I told him no because I had read here that there was very little benefit without other heavy mods, he looked at me funny.
I did a search and got 83 results. Reading some of them again confirmed my original statement. I found some stuff like Steve Ulligger in the 9's with many mods but the stock ECU, and a few threats and promises for better technology to come, but little proof. There was a post by Sean Roe about the VEC1, but the dynographs were posted on Photopoint so were no longer available.

So my question, is there any HP benefit to changing the ECU (or is it PCM?) if you just have tubes, filters and muffler delete? Or does it just fix the check engine light for catless systems. Also is the engine controlled by the Performance Control Module (PCM) or the Electronic Control Unit (ECU)? Thanks

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel management is Speed-Density and the spark advance is not knock-sensitive. The stock JTEC controller has a fairly wide self-adjustment range off the base map.

Kyle Kent posted some interesting observations on Viper performance under the Head Swap thread here-abouts.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a mopar performance computer that I installed. I went to the dyno with both PCM's ( Stock & Mopar performance) and dynoed both of them. The mopar performance computer had less HP and less Torque than the stock PCM. However, I also have the VEC1 and I have never dynoed without it but I can change the settings and increase or decrease my HP and Torque. In other words, the VEC1 works and the mopar performance computer does not. Also, I had the VEC1 on a "stock" car 97' and took it to the track, never to the dyno, and it gave me another .15 seconds in the quarter mile.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
B

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. It seems the only option that could help at all is the VEC1. Does anyone have a link to their site or pricing? Thanks again, Bigs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness