Performance Questions ?????

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greeeetings,

I have a 2000 RT/10 with basic upgrades exhaust, headers, high flow catz, and airbox. I heard that 2000's and later have a milder camshaft and cast pistons. I wanted to install a different cam. Should I go with an earlier stock cam or a performance cam? and if a performance cam would be better
which one should i go with(brand) And would the forged pistons be better? Adding Nitrous Propane soon. Thanx for your help.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cam to get should be 96-97 it is a larger cam, after market may not be a good solution for stock ecu.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venumish,

If you are going to swap out your Cam, why put another Stock one in?? I would suggest something a bit more radical. But really, if you are going to crack open the motor, why not do some other top end work instead of or in addition to a new cam. I suggest you do a search on Ben Treynor's posts. He ended up with about 515 RWHP with the stock Cam - and it too was a Creampuff post '99 Viper.

As for an after market cam and the stock ECU, it will work just fine.

If you have additional questions, send me an Email!

Regards,

OP
OP
V

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin,

I am thinking about swapping the cam with a performance cam. But the problem is that I dont know much about cams. I am also thinking of adding a head package, with 1.7 rocker and so on. What hp and torque numbers would I get with the cam and heads?
Thanx again for your time
smile.gif
Nice numbers you have on your car
smile.gif

Tom,

I was just looking through your website nice packages you have there. I ll be in touch with you soon! What numbers would I get from your stage II heads and a cam ? Thanx
smile.gif

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin D, can you provide any details about how you got 565rwhp? I know its a HMS package but I was wondering why you have 50 more HP than others. Others packages seem to stop at 500-515rwhp which have heads, headers, exhaust. Was there anything more done to yours? like a cam, stroker motor, magical elves, gerbil's?
smile.gif

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mes,

My car had a baseline Dyno of 398 at the wheels before we started.

I have 70mm TB's, HMS Carbon Fibre Airbox, Extruded Intake, Venom 650R heads(they are MAC DADDY), Matched 650R Camshaft, HMS Headers and 3 inch Exhaust(no cats), aluminum pulley(smaller belt),Mopar PCM, and Aluminum Flywheel. To top it all off, 3.45 gear. (I may be forgetting something)

My best Dyno is what is in my signature, I also pulled 557 to the wheels once, and just this past week, I did a heat soaked 540. It was low because I need an Oil Change and a new set of plugs -I have not changed them in 7k miles. I make no excuses for anyone else and there numbers, but I was at the Shop EVERYDAY, and assisted in putting this car together. The power is real and awesome.
In addition, the car made so much power, it sheared the pin in the cam on the third day - no problem. It was an easy fix. Then two weeks later, It spun the Balancer. Again, easy fix(except for having to get new valves).

Now, I have 7k miles on the package. And 35k miles on the car.
Also - We are sure we could have made MORE power. When we spun the balancer, we had to go in and give the car a Valve Job. We are sure we lowered the compression a bit and changed the flow numbers. What did we lose? I bet 10 RWHP.

As for those guys making less, that is very strange. I touched every part that went on this car. I can tell you, HMS has a turnkey system that should get everyone 550 or more at the tires.

Finally, here is a link to Utahviper - he has a 650R that is droping off power above 5500.. But he still made 545 TQ and 520 HP. Check his Signature.
http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/006880.html

Regards,