Pilot sport CUP tires tested this weekend

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the chance to test a set of full tread(not shaved) but heat cycled pilot Cup DOT race tires @ Road Atlanta this Saturday. It was not my Viper but a brand P car. First off, people have been raving about the tire , saying that they are as fast as the Hoosier but last 3 times longer.But none of the people I know who are raving are not ********* racers, but track junkies none the less. Also I did not pay for the tires so price was not a factor.The ambient temp was in the high 40's & ended up in the mid 60's

First observation was the tires are about 1 size smaller than the Hoosier, A 245 Pilot cup had the same width as the 225 Hoosier, The optimum hot pressure for the cup is 32 psi +-. I started with 28 lbs cold & the tire was undrivable. It was loose & tight @ the same time. After 30 minutes I came in & the pressures were 39psi plus. I dropped them to the recommended 32 & went back out , better but still 2 seconds off the Hoosiers. I was still getting 36 + hot on the left side so we dropped them to 30 lbs all around. This was the fastest setup but the combo of tread squirm & soft sidewalls made for some interesting dynamics on turn in. I did over 195 HARD miles & the tires showed little or no wear at all. Important to note that the cold pressures ended up being 19 lbs in the left front & 22 lbs all the other tires.
The overall performance with full tread was similar to a Toyo RA 1 or Khumo Victo racer (unshaved) I find the Khumo much more forgiving & much easier to go fast in. For the high price of the pilot cup, I would recommend buying two sets of the Khumo's.At no time was the car comfortable to drive & most of the time I found my self working very hard to go fast. The full tread pattern might be good for wet weather,which is what I will use the Pilot cups for on my race car. Also with wear pattern of the tire it might make a good choice for everyday street use.

The final verdict: In unshaved form, keep the Hoosiers if winning is important to you.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they ever gonna come out with this tire in Viper sizes to the public? John Dearing and I are gonna co-drive in the 2003 OTC which require "street" tires, NO HOOSIERS. The smaller cars (M3s ect.) who ran Michelin Cups earlier this year dominated, bottom line is it better the a Pilot Sport? And will it be avaiable to the Viper public?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96