PIR-Portland Track days 2008 3/15; 4/25; 6/6; 8/15; 9/12; 10/24

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Cascade Sports Car Club has the absolute best DRIVERS TRAINING and Hi Perf Driving events at PIR-Portland. Open to Viper Owners, too, but dont have to bring a VIPER!

2008 dates: 3/15; 4/25; 6/6; 8/15; 9/12; 10/24. 1st-time Novices need a classroom the night before. Preced at $165 HPDE, - $195 Drivers Ed. [$25 REBATE to PartsRack '07-'08 Customers!} Full details and online registration at:

Cascade Sports Car Club - Driver's Training

Check out the other PIR track events at Portland International Raceway - Official Home Page

Many clubs (Team Continental, Audi, Shelby, BMW, Porsche etc do allow VIPERS in to some of their open track events.)

Last edited:

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone entered the April 25th Cascade Driving class at Portland International Raceway? I sent in my application and will be heading down on Thursday the 24th to attend the ground school that evening and the driving school on Friday.

I was just curious in case someone from up here might be driving down and wanted to convoy.

Randy Blaylock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

Are you driving your Viper in the school?

I'll be heading down as well, to ride along with folks on Friday, but you probably don't want to follow as I'll be towing my GTS for the ICSCC races that weekend. Hoping for nice weather...

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be running my 99 RT-10 at the school. I will go down on Thursday afternoon to attend a 4 hour ground school that night. I have the driving part all day Friday.

I hope I can see you there and check out your car if it is going to be at the track before I am done. Rich Koch

Randy Blaylock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool. I'm sure we'll cross paths sometime Friday. You can find me somewhere near the white Freightliner truck/trailer combo.

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cascade Driving School:

I was able to attend the Cascade Sports Car Club High Speed Performance driving school on last Thursday and Friday at Portland International Raceway. This was my second driving school and I purposely selected the Portland track because of its nice run-off areas. More on that later.

We had a 4 hour "ground school" at Portland Community College on Thursday night which tauight us a lot about vehicle dynamics and driving techinques. They had excellent visual displays and informative videos showing techniques for car handling on track.

Friday was nice and sunny and we arrived at 7:00 a.m. at the newly re-paved and reconfigured track. The new pavement is smooth and has a lot of traction and a couple of corners were slightly re-configured. Each group got to run 4 different times in 20 minute sessions. I wound up getting to run 86 total miles and got plenty of training. I was lucky enough to get Viper racer Randy Blaylock as my instructor. He was very patient with me and was able to get me going around the track a lot faster and smoother by the end of the day. Even after I took a "slight excursion" off track in turn 4 he continued to work with me and teach me the track. I even got to have some "extra training" by riding with Jon Brobst in the pace-car for several laps to show me some additional fine points about the track. Overall it was a blast and I think I am hooked on driving on a track and trying to learn how to be a better driver.

By the way, by successfully completing the class I will get a $25 voucher for Parts Rack from Jon B. I was a nice incentive to drive down to Portland and take the class.

Many thanks to all the workers and instructors of Cascade Sports Car Club, my instructor Randy Blaylock and Jon B.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, and for attending! Good to meet you and see RAYSIR's former RT10.

Check out Randy's video, and the GTS you'll see as Pace Car is mine.....one lap wonder!

All Viper Owners are invited again 6/6, and PartsRack will again sponsor a $25 parts credit uopn completion. Track Dates 6/6; 8/15; 9/12; 10/24. The BALANCE OF TRACK DATES WILL USE THE CHICANE, so you'll get even MORE training.....

Last edited:

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok. first off, what's the Chicane?

Second, the driver training course is $195 for CSCC, and over $500 for Proformance school at Pacific Raceways. What is the better deal/experience? My birthday and/or Father's day is coming up and I only get one major event in the budget this year.

I'm thinking Proformance is a rip-off at over a $300 premium for a one day course (including class time. whereas CSCC is full day plus 4 hour prior day class day), but I don't have the experience.

And most importantly, will either of the schools allow the stock roll hoops for a vert, or do I need to invest this year's budget on a hard-top and/or roll bar?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Timing sounds pretty good to me. That would be a 15 hr. drive to get there for me. JonB - would you have a set of PS2s for me there??? I think I'll try and arrange for that to happen when I get back in a couple weeks.

Ted

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the Proformance course, but I haven't taken the course at Portland. Proformance does allow factory installed roll bars for ragtops. Their course was the first time that I had tracked my car, and I really enjoyed it. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face for days. But they do also require a second day (1/2 day) follow-up with Instructor (at a reduced fee). Also worthwhile.

I did the SRT Days event at Portland earlier this year, and the track is wonderful! It's so much better than Pacific Raceways, that I'm really jonesing to go back there with my own car. Just trying to find some days that work for me.

If you do take the Portland course, post a review!

Thanks,
Steve

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Printed off my application and I'll send it in tomorrow. Expect that means I'll be there.

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456