Plagued with Oil Leaks! Leaking...Valve Cover Gaskets?

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So ever since 2 yrs ago when I hit something on the highway and punctured my Oil Cooler it seems i'm plagued with Oil Leak problems. AFter the first Oil Cooler was replaced. Last year I must have hit something else and punctured the new oil cooler so right now i'm in the process of repairing it.

Well I take the Viper out yesterday for a my Birthday Cruise and I notice a little white smoke, so I shut it down and pop the hood and it looks like my valve covers are leaking oil pretty bad......AHHH I'm so annoyed so I just threw her back in the garage and didn't have a birthday Viper Cruise. I'm tired of freaking oil leaking all over my Viper!

Anyway I only have 35K miles. Are my valve covers Really leaking already? Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone know the best place / PART # for the valve Cover gaskets? Are they pretty easy to change? Do I need to remove the Intake? Just curious, as I plan on doing some work this Winter, i'm already planning on removing the hood and front Fascia to Do HID headlights and a new Oil Cooler.

I figure when I fix the Valve Covers I will either Polish my Sneaky pete logo and "Viper" lettering or swap to GEN III Valve Covers? Any suggestions or pictures of this done by any of you?

Anything else I should do while i've got these few things apart? I tuned it up last year so i'm all good there.

Thanks in advance for any help !

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
swap the big piece of poor engineering with a gen 111- cause those years ****---

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could try retorquing them before replacing the gasket. Gasket part # is 05245095 according to the online part # guide. Call Tator to order them. The Gen 3 valve covers look good, but its not a cheap process b/c you have to buy spacers that are $200+ from what I've seen plus the cost of the new valve covers.

Sledgehammer

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Your Viper is a machine and machines break. Fix it and enjoy it between repairs. Miles matter but rubber seals loose flexability as the flex agent chemicals migrate out over time. Replace the gaskets with quality parts and it should solve the leak problem. Vipers are high performance machines that need regular maintenance even when seldom driven, but especially when driven hard. If you want transportation that never springs a leak, buy a bicycle. Cheers

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VC gaskets are reusable. but they do go bad, call tator for new ones if you think thats the problem, VERY easy to swap out

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your Viper is a machine and machines break. Fix it and enjoy it between repairs. Miles matter but rubber seals loose flexability as the flex agent chemicals migrate out over time. Replace the gaskets with quality parts and it should solve the leak problem. Vipers are high performance machines that need regular maintenance even when seldom driven, but especially when driven hard. If you want transportation that never springs a leak, buy a bicycle. Cheers

I already own a Bicycle but thanks for that tid bit of "Wisdom" I'd never have known that...

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could try retorquing them before replacing the gasket. Gasket part # is 05245095 according to the online part # guide. Call Tator to order them. The Gen 3 valve covers look good, but its not a cheap process b/c you have to buy spacers that are $200+ from what I've seen plus the cost of the new valve covers.

Wowza, nevermind I think I am going the polish/Paint route for my current Valve covers. $200 dollar spacer + the cost of Gen III Covers just isn't worth it in the end. Our Covers polished up looks really nice also. I might try to retorque them but I suspect they need to be replaced, guess once I tear it down more i'll find out. Thanks for the Part # man!

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen II valve cover gaskets will break or crack if they are over tightened. Pull your covers and check them out (intake does NOT have to come off). It'll take you 15 minutes and you'll know for sure if your old gaskets are cracked.

FYI, new ones are crazy expensive.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen II valve cover gaskets will break or crack if they are over tightened. Pull your covers and check them out (intake does NOT have to come off). It'll take you 15 minutes and you'll know for sure if your old gaskets are cracked.

FYI, new ones are crazy expensive.

Thanks RED SNAKE! New gaskets are crazy expensive?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only VC's come off. maybe 7-8 bolts each, just be careful if any wires come off, to put them back on in the right location.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I retorque mine once a year or so on my '01. Same original gaskets, usually a wee loose when checked, hardly any signs of leakage.

Moral of story: Ck screws first, buy parts second.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 Manual say 95 in/lbs for the Valve Covers and Intake Manifold. There is a recommended pattern for both.
In addition, the intake has a 2 stage torque process to follow if you remove it.