Plasti-dippin my wheels

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the 'barrel' of the wheel? Is that the inside surface?

So you plasti'd the outside, flipped it over, then the inside? Which did you do first? I would think inside first so overspray doesn't get all over the outside? Curious of your particular process - I want to do this.
I did the front face of the wheel first.. Then after it was dry and done I popped the wheel up on it side rolled it and sprayed the inside of the wheel, the barrel. I just rolled and sprayed. I did 5 coats in the inside but thicker sprays only cause it wasn't has important to be perfect. However, after every coat I would lay it on its back again to let dry. Hope that helps

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you got to the website listed above there is a video of them using a pressure washer on it and the plasti-dip stays on. Seems to be more effective to peal it of in sheets.
It's some tough stuff, I like how it protects the wheel while giving me the look I want without the permanent powder coat solution

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some more closeup photos of the wheels.

Attachments

• 20130329_201414.jpg
    20130329_201414.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20130329_201336.jpg
    20130329_201336.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20130329_201320.jpg
    20130329_201320.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20130329_201255.jpg
    20130329_201255.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 76

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plastic dipper spray. The answer to the question no one's asking...

I totally disagree. In general, I dislike the look of black wheels. There is an occasional combination that looks good to me. If I wanted to experiment with my wheels and car , this seems to be a great way to go. When it was first brought up here, all I could think of was 16 year olds with a lowered CRX; but, I see it has it's advantages. Another big positive is that it comes in Blaze Orange, Pink, Purple, Green, and Yellow ! and if you ever become tired of that look, you can peel it off. :2tu:

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally disagree. In general, I dislike the look of black wheels. There is an occasional combination that looks good to me. If I wanted to experiment with my wheels and car , this seems to be a great way to go. When it was first brought up here, all I could think of was 16 year olds with a lowered CRX; but, I see it has it's advantages. Another big positive is that it comes in Blaze Orange, Pink, Purple, Green, and Yellow ! and if you ever become tired of that look, you can peel it off. :2tu:
I agree with AZTVR, there are different tints shade that can allow for a ton of possibilities when it comes to color. You can achieve gloss, satin, matte, shades of gunmetal, pearls, colored pearls, metallics, and then you have the crazy bright colors that he mentioned but those can be darkened and toned down with the tint additives. Like I said when I did this originally was to change the look without sacrificing the originality of the car if I decide to sell. And the extra added bonus is wheel protection. For me this was a cost effective solution to buying another set of 5 spokes and powder coating them. If you guys youtube this you will see all the variants of colors that can be achieved from the combination of the paints offered. I will clear paint the front of my car before going to the track and then when ready I will peel it off after the event easier than a vinyl clear bra IMO

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
neo, thanks for the thorough replies and the fine pics, are you sure you don't do this mod professionally :dunno:

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dipped my wheels last summer, 3 thick coats, it's counter intuitive to spray paint, thick base coat was better. I used 1 can per wheel. I did it initially to protect the wheels for a long road trip but ended up leaving it on. A couple days ago I removed one wheel and while removing the lug nuts I pulled the dip off from the centers. I ended up peeling just the spokes, the lip stayed dipped so all I had to do was respray the center and spokes. It peeled off like a latex glove.
No recent shotsbut I know ill get the "worthless" response without one.
You must be registered for see images

I've since sprayed my carbon fiber hood until I can UV clear it. Next time I take a long trip, I'm going to spray my front fascia and peel it off.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to give Viper guys an update on how it's holding up. They are holding up great and look the same as when I originally painted them. I have powerwashed them, washed them, detailed them and I haven't had any of it come off. In order to get them clean you can't use wheel cleaner cause it's very harsh on the wheels. You can use soap and water or quick detailer, which works very good. People have also used pinesol.