'Play' in clutch pedal

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
\'Play\' in clutch pedal

There is about 1" of 'play' in my clutch pedal ... sometimes I can feel it lightly tapping against the bottom of my foot, if I'm not on it ... don't know if it was always like this and just noticed it, or what ... is this normal?

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'Play\' in clutch pedal

At the top or at the bottom? Play as in very loose? or just not engaging for an inch?

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Same thing here in my 2006 - about .5 to 1 full inch of play in the pedal at the top of travel (foot off the clutch, fully engaged). Engagement is perfect - this is as if the pedal itself is loose and kinda floppy when the pedal is totally released (clutch engaged).

Doesn't bother me too much unless I brush it while shuffling over to the dead pedal. Feels a bit sloppy but doesn't affect anything other than the driver. :)

I should clarify - this isn't play in the travel - this feels like play as if the actual pedal faceplate itself is loose. As in, it will jiggle 1" loosely when tapped with your foot or fingertip.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Normal to have some small amount of "play" or "take up" in the clutch pedal.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The 'play' on my '05 is at the top, without any pressure. I looked under there and found that the 'play' goes directly with the shaft going into the floor (to the clutch itself) ... In other words, I couldn't find any place for an adjustment in the footwell.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vipermann said: " The 'play' on my '05 is at the top, without any pressure. I looked under there and found that the 'play' goes directly with the shaft going into the floor (to the clutch itself) ... In other words, I couldn't find any place for an adjustment in the footwell."

I cannot be sure by the information given but I believe that there is a clip that holds the clutch shaft in place.( There is in the Gen II's) It may be displaced or partially broken. It is difficult to see unless you lay down on your back underneath and look at it with a flashlight. You should bring it in to a Viper Tech to have this checked out. I actually had the clip break and ended up driving more than thirty miles in sixth gear on the highway ( thankfully torques monsters actually can function in sixth gear better than other vehicles at lower speeds)because my clutch pedal was dangling. I finally hit a red light within two miles of the dealership where I have the car serviced. The car stalled when I had to stop. I called the Viper Tech on my cell phone and he came out and jerryrigged a clip so that he could drive it back to the dealership and fix it. It only took him a few minutes to fix it.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Don't think it's an issue with a clip ... where the shaft goes through the floor, it seems there's about 1" of travel before the shaft meets any resistance with the clutch throw-out mechanism ... seems like any adjustment would need to be in the clutch housing

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Vipermann,

There is no adjustment for the clutch pedal. The combination throw out bearing / slave cylinder is preset like this. What you describe is normal.

If your clutch engagement point was very low, you would have issues. I've been through 4 clutches now and they all feel just a little different, but the "freeplay" you describe in the pedal at the top of it's travel is not a problem.

Dan

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have the samething in my 05 vert. It appears to be normal for this clutch setup, I hate the way it feels.