Please help...dyno needed

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been tring to locate a good dyno in Northern California that has experience of running Vipers. Does anyone have ant recommendations? I'm not looking to having any major tuning done (possibly timing, throttle cables etc) but want an idea of what sort of power the car's putting down. Thanks in advance.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scot, If you have a VEC2 you can tune your Viper.
If you don't have a Vec2 you won`t be able to tune.
In this case you can go to any regular Dyno shop.

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With all due respect, I beg to differ. Firstly, as discussed on other threads, 'tuning' is a slightly amibguous term. Surely playing with the timing (which can be done without the VEC-2) could be termed tuning? Also, DC Performance advised me that you can modify the fueling map to an extent without the need for a VEC-2 (definately tuning).

And I don't agree taht any regular dyno shop will do. I'd at least want to make sure that one I took my car to knew how to open and close the hood properly and where to securely tie down the car, amongst other issues!

And my name's not Scot! :D

aslowdodge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is software that goes into the stock pcm where you can change parameters, but very few have it. I thnk Dan Cragin has it. No one here in Nor cal seems to have it. other than that without a piggy back like the vec 2 there isn't too much you can do i think.
I had mine tuned at synergy in Fremont with the vec 2 on

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I don't agree taht any regular dyno shop will do. I'd at least want to make sure that one I took my car to knew how to open and close the hood properly and where to securely tie down the car, amongst other issues!

And my name's not Scot! :D

You are the only one that should be opening or closing the hood. You need to make sure the strapping is correct. If they drive the car, get them to let you drive it a few times so you can drive next time. Driving on a dyno is kinda different the first time. Any dyno shop should be able to take care of you. Take out the drivers floor mat !!

aslowdodge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you just want a baseline, there are lots of places to go. Tony is right, you should open and close the hood yourself.
I have had mine done at Mustang ranch, newtech, and synergy. You can drive it yourself, it's pretty easy
There are plenty of places to go in sacto. You don't need any special facility for vipers only, just a shop that dynos performance caes.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more hint, have themn put the O2 sensor in the oem well. Don't reley on the tailpipe sniffer they are prone to error. Please don't tell us you will not be taking a/f readings!

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more hint, have themn put the O2 sensor in the oem well. Don't reley on the tailpipe sniffer they are prone to error. Please don't tell us you will not be taking a/f readings!

Where should the dyno shop put their wideband o2 sensor for the most accurate reading on our cars? I don't have a special **** installed yet?

My guess is that they would want to use the sniffer. Where should I tell them to install the o2 sensor instead?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said, have them pull either front oem sensor and put the shop sensor in the oem well. It takes five minutes to do the swap. You just have to pull the heat shield and it has four sheet metal screws.