Please help - fob battery died!

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

So my remote battery died - I've tried the search and nothing's come up - I know how to get in using the hatch but then the car won't start. What should I do? Thanks in advance

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What snakem04 said. As I recall after changing the fob battery you need to point the fob at the car and hold both buttons down until the Viper horn does a double honk or flashes the lights or something. I don't remember exactly.

OP
OP
J

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to sound like a complete ***** guys - I know the fob battery needs to be changed it's just my car isn't parked at home and I was wondering if there is any sort of work around so I can get it home. Thanks again in advance guys.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
John...if I understand your situation... you tried to start the car and tripped the alarm as it went into "theft mode" and shut down some systems.

One needs to hear more of your story...step by step.

You can call me or send me an e-mail...but expect to spend the first part of the conversation trying to convince me that you are not a Viper thief...and then, I MAY be able to help you.

Please take NO offense at the "convince me" part...but you are new here and I am sure that you can appreciate how sensitive folks are about defeating the factory anti-theft systems.

OP
OP
J

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve, I wholeheartedly understand your concern - what's the best number I can reach you on? I'll gladly give you a ring and do my best to convince you that I am in fact the owner of the car (despite my enthusiast tag).

So I went out last night with the car, parked it, and went to meet some friends. I noticed recently that I had to hit my fob a few times to lock and unlock the car but I didn't think much of it. When I decided to head home with the car, my fob wouldn't unlock the car. So I unlocked my rear hatch with keys, and reached in to open the driver side door using the door release tab. I obviously trip the alarm and try to start to start the car with my keys and then engine power gets cut. I cab home to get my extra key + fob (the dinky looking little Key that doesnt have the Sneaky Pete emblem on it but has the Chrysler logo) and the battery on that fob is gone too (I guess since it hasn't been used in ages). I hope this helps and if there's anything else I can do to convince you that I am in fact the true owner, please let me know.

OP
OP
J

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, so the problem resolved itself quite simply but I wanted to thank Steve_Indy for being a gentleman and sharing his wealth of knowledge over the phone. I'm always astonished at the exhibitions of philanthropy on this board and this time I was the fortunate beneficiary. I know my problem was simple, I was just panicing at the prospect of having my GTS spend the night away from home :).Thanks to everyone for your help. She's back in the garage and purring loud as all holy hell.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great to speak with you, John...you have an excellent understanding of these Beasts!!

We ended up with 10 Vipers on tour today...all of color and lots of rumble!!

Remember, you own your Viper a bath !! :)

OP
OP
J

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pleasure was all mine Steve - that sounds unreal. Up here in Canada, we're lucky to see ten Vipers in a year. On the car wash, way ahead of ya - took it there on the drive home. Thanks again for all of your help

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having similar issues today. Car locked me out. Fob won't work. I got in finally. Car starts but only runs for 2 sec.

I am sure its the antitheft. Anyone know how to reset on a 97 GTS?

Thx

UGSURVEYOR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Steve. Tim here from Evansville. Please let me apologize if there is a thread somewheres else that I have failed to research. Yes, like John above I'm quite the newbie on here as well, but I assure you I, like you, DO OWN probably the baddest American Muscle car ever built.
I have a 98 RT-10 that seems to have a similar finicky problem going to 'theft' mode on occasion. It never fails that when this happens I go through what seems to be 30-40 tries of resetting (as our manual describes) accompanied with the same number of fob tweeks. The car will go through several different phases of lights flashing, horn *****, etc. What ****** me off the most is when it finally starts, I'm not sure what combination of all this **** actually worked. As I stated, this only occurs once in a while, mostly on cold starts. I fully understand the whole 'confidence in ownership' concerns as this is something a thief would be figuring out as well. I absolutely love this car, but I've also sat in a gas station for over 20 min. tying to get her started. I really need to figure this out as I'm sure the starter and battery aren't designed for all the unnecessary attempts. Any insights or hints will be greatly appreciated.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Tim...sorry for your troubles...agree that this alarm system can be frustrating at times. Please give me a call when you have some time. 317-402-9013

Fangs10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my RT/10. I was able to get in but the FOB chirped and now the car won't let me out...what should I do? BTW, cutting the top off won't work because the top is not on.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve is definitely the man when helping those of us that have a rare issue like this, or in my case laziness to change my battery :D Thanks again Steve!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang