Please help...

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am trying to get my viper going this year and having issues. I have a 97 GTS, was fine when I parked it for the year.

I went out to try and start it, dead battery (no suprise). I jumped it and it fired right up. After running for a few mins I removed the cables and it killed. Didn't have a lot of time so I left it.

Came back a couple days later, jumped it, fired right up. Let it run for 10 mins or so and right as I was about to pull it out to wash it the car shut off. Was running perfectly fine, sounded just as if the ignition was turned off. No stumbling, etc.

I took the battery out, been back and forth at different places some sayint the 1.5 yr old battery is shot, others saying it is fine. I don't think this is the prob anyhow but whatever.

Jump it again to day, fires right up and after 10 mins shut off again. I didn't have the battery connected. When the car kills I cannot get it restarted so it seems as if a sensor or something is getting hot and killing the ignition...

One thing I notice is that even with the jumper cables connected the car will not have power. If I open and close the door a couple times it seems to do something where the car will have power but not enough to crank over.

I had the radio out this winter and it is completely removed now (not that I think it has anything to do with it).

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy.

Thanks,
John

OP
OP
I

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well the battery was disconnected today when it happened so I hope that rules it out. Seems as if I have some short in the door but nobody was near the car today when it shut off...

Also gets me in that I cannot restart it even though it is hooked up to enought power (brother's running viper).

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the car was running with NO battery hooked up to it You undoubtedly fried some electronics. No wiring expert, but if you are forced to run a car with no battery hooked up you need to run headlights, heaterfan, wipers, etc. so that there is a current draw. The full output of the alternator shouldn't be used to power just the electronics. I believe the Vipers have huge powered alternators (150amps or so).

I hope that I read your post wrong and you DID have a battery hooked up while the car was running ...

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI. When a car won't start first check to see if the fuel pump primes the fuel system by removing cap and depressing Schrader Valve. Check to see if there is spark at the sparkplugs.

Check fuses such as the ASD fuse, the fuel pump fuse (in trunk) and relays.

Ted

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In reading over some of the older posts on the forums, the alarm module seems to have caused this in some cars and stalls it after a certain period of time as it thinks it is "stolen". Have you armed/disarmed the alarm since you started it the first time? Not gospel by any means, but it has apparently been the culprit in similar situations. Keep us posted!

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Chris, sounds like the alarm mode is killing it from the symptoms you describe.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Get the battery sorted first" - is it good or is it bad???
An obvious statement so I'll apologize in advance but the car needs to be able to 'stand alone under its own power' before you start fault-finding - it will display all sorts of strange happenings (doors, lights, locks, alarm etc) unless you get the ‘battery sorted first’ - you'll be pulling your hair out otherwise.
None of this running on jump cables either, please.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a battery was dead for a year or so it is probably done. Get a new one, there is a reason why battery tenders were invented.

OP
OP
I

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well the battery is a year and a half old (Interstate 75 mo warranty) but the place where it was purchassed is one who things it is fine.

It seems like an alarm issue or something to me also but idk. Just shocking to me that it just turns off...

I was jumping it with another viper so jumping = starting off a different battery in my book. The car was running fine without a battery so the alternator is believed to be fine. Odd thing is that when it dies, it pretty much has NO power at all. Interior lights are off. If I shut my door a couple times or something then it has power but it cannot get past the realay, doesn't crank.

It does the same thing EVEN when hooked up to the other viper so the power source (battery) doesn't seem to be the issue.

I will try and charge the battery again and check the fuses. Can someone PM me the way to disable the alarm with the key in case it is an issue with my keypad. I am thinking when I have tried to use it the car didn't respond.

Thanks,
John

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well the battery is a year and a half old (Interstate 75 mo warranty) but the place where it was purchassed is one who things it is fine.

It seems like an alarm issue or something to me also but idk. Just shocking to me that it just turns off...

I was jumping it with another viper so jumping = starting off a different battery in my book. The car was running fine without a battery so the alternator is believed to be fine. Odd thing is that when it dies, it pretty much has NO power at all. Interior lights are off. If I shut my door a couple times or something then it has power but it cannot get past the realay, doesn't crank.

It does the same thing EVEN when hooked up to the other viper so the power source (battery) doesn't seem to be the issue.

I will try and charge the battery again and check the fuses. Can someone PM me the way to disable the alarm with the key in case it is an issue with my keypad. I am thinking when I have tried to use it the car didn't respond.

Thanks,
John

Don't think Key was an option until 1998.

Ted

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an inline fuse (fuse link) in the alternator-to-PCM circuit. It is not an obvious find. If that fuse is partially open (yes that can happen) it could be adding to or creating your problems.. I believe it is physically located on passenger side of the PCM.

In addition, as already offered, a corroded/loose battery conductor connection could be the offender.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had similar symptoms with mine. I ended up with 2 batteries in 2 years. Solution? Battery Tender from JonB on the 3rd battery. That was 2 years ago and NO more battery issues for me. :)

I'd definitely get a new battery, just so you can rule that part of the problem out.

The 2 places I took my "bad" batteries to both told me they checked out fine. The Viper is definitely finicky when it comes to batteries. :D

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having a similar problem right now with my 02 RT/10. It sometimes starts and runs fine and then all power just shuts off (can't even open the door) which is not consistant with an alarm problem. I tried a new battery and it didn't help.

Interesting note, though....I also had a new radio installed about 2 months before these strange things started happening.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is one of the most annoying problems that I have posted about at least 10 times or more over the years. It is often accompanied by an intermittent door latch- door lock problem.

1) if your relatively new battery was dead for several months, you have to consider it a loss. Get a new quality battery like a Sears gold or platinum.

2) if you have the inferior alarm EEU of 1996 1997, or if you have door latch or other G2 issues, indicated by your door latch LEDs always being on, you will certainly benefit from a fully automatic battery tender plus. [I hope you will consider buying one from me, Thank you.] At that time, we can talk about your alarm and indicator issues that are making that LED stay on.

jonb

OP
OP
I

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^^^ I noticed a week or so ago that my unlock/lock indicators also stayed on... I will try to get another battery but am suprised in how the car would need the battery to keep running.

My car actually has a tender hard wired up to it but I lost the dam plug in. I bought another a week ago. I had been starting the car in the winter but am a tax accountant and lost track of time.

I am hoping this is a battery issue as it is driving me crazy. I just want to drive the car. My understanding on how the charging systems worked was that the car didn't need the battery to run but I guess the viper is not a normal car.

Thanks,
John

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is more to a Battery than "just to keep it running". A battery is a part of the voltage regulator system. It smooths voltages spikes and keeps sensitive electronics from melting and costing thousands of dollars in repairs.

The Viper may be better, but take an older car and disconnect the Battery. Rev the engine/alternator with the parklights on. What the bulb filiments get brighter an burn out as the voltage and amperage goes up with NO Battery to control the juice.

Never, ever run a car with NO or shorted out Battery. Any electrical system that is turned on is at risk of burning out. The Viper has a computerized voltage regulator and may be protected? Or maybe the ECU and various other electronic components may fry.

Rev it up and let the rest of us know if things burn out?

Ted

OP
OP
I

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok I think my problems are gone. Not sure exactly what I did but here it goes:

First I reconnected the battery and tried to turn it over and nothing. I heard a clicking coming from where the alarm box is and I disconnected the battery again. The car had lost all power, etc. I read through my manual and it talked about how the alary system etc worked a little bit. Only way to disarm my car seems to be with a working remote and mine wasn't working anymore for some reason.

I noticed that it talked about having a sensor on the hood, doors, at hatch. My hood has been open during all testing so I decided I would try to close it. Hooked the battery up after a few minutes then nothing. Either dead battery or part of my alarm issue. Went to dinner and to check my remote. Orielies said it was putting out a signal but it was weak. Bought new battery, came back doesn't seem to be working.

Well I reconnect the battery and no power. Decide to jump the car again, fires right up. Turn on lights, blower motor, etc. Car runs like a champ again BUT didn't kill. While it was running I was looking in the manual about how the remotes can get out of sync etc. Car ran for 30 mins without a prob. I shut it off, cranked it over and it started right up again.

Feeling lucky I try the remote and it doesn't work again. I tried to re-sync the reomte and it worked :)

I am now able to arm/disarm again with my remote and the car hasn't had the power "cutout" issue yet. It is sitting in the garage now on the tender and I will give it another shot tomorrow. Pretty happy right now, hope all is well.

OP
OP
I

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get a 1993 RT/10? Fires up every time :D

Not when I owned it LOL. It then decided was born with the "I don't want to start when the car is warm" issue which after a goose chase replacing the battery etc found out to be a bad starter :)

Well I kinda wish I had the car as it looked great and I am sure the chicks would be crazier for a red convert over the GTS but with a track car as the goal the GTS made more sense at the time. Hadn't had any issues until this. Hopefully they are gone.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chicks don't like the GTS? LOL, try fitting her extra suitcase with her shoes and makeup into an RT. I carry 3 suitcases every trip in my GTSs. Last trip the airlines decided that the wife's "carry on" was too big and charged us $50 and stuck it into cargo. On the plane several people had 2 small suitcases as "carry-ons" (One was too large to be a "legal" carry-on). Anyway, both our small suitcases fit ontop of the gastank between the hinges and the laptop bag (stuffed) and "too large" bag fit into the GTS beside the Car Cover, Nitrous and C02 bottles in the trunk. By the time we got home (2.5 weeks later)we had fire/race pants, pair of 5 point safety harnesses, new clothes, door speaker kit, gifts, diecast models, etc.

RT10 fits a golf bag or 2 small suitcases? Women think that if they can't take their extra shoes they don't want to go ... :) :)

Very happy you solved your problem.

Ted

OP
OP
I

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^^ thanks alot for your help.

I bought Jason's old car to make a track car and get rid of my low mile RT but as soon as I got it, a buddy of mine wanted to trade this GTS strait up for the RT. Well couldn't pass it up so I had to unload Jason's old car. I love the GTS but think that in crusing around the lake a red RT will impress the ladies more than my B/W GTS. I don't care though, I like the GTS.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, so Jason upgrades to a GTS, then you trade his beautiful (with my radio?) R/T 10 for another GTS? What's chances of that?

Yah, my favourite GTS is my Roe supercharged Sapphire Blue/Silver striped 2001.

However, I did buy a Nitrous, Paxton supercharged GTS ACR to re-sell and I picked Red/Silver as it's color. I also know that RED is a girly color, but that is what sells and part of why I bought it. I get at least twice as many "pretty car" about the red ACR, but the Sapphire GTS gets Awesome, Sharp looking and Nice Car comments - not many "Pretty Car".

Think I might have to shovel the snow from behind the garage door and park the cars together to compare.

You must be registered for see images

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
important question.......... do the door-switch LEDs go out a short while after you turn off and park the car, unarmed, say parked in your locked garage?? or do they stay lit?

OP
OP
I

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before I was sure the LEDs stayed on but I checked the other day and they go off after maybe 10 secounds(for now atleast). I fired the car up this morning and once again tonight and all seems good. I have the battery bolted back in with the cover and wheel on. May take it out tomorrow to wash it and for a quick spin. I am leaving town tomorrow eve so I won't really be able to put it to the test for a week or so.

I think my issues were all related to the alarm and me not able to disarm it. Not sure what exactly allowed me to disarm it but it happened and I was able to re-sync the remote to work. I should probably re-program my extra remote now so this doesn't happen again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4