Please sign this Petition to SRT!!

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to be taken seriously, I would suggest spelling 'tuning' correctly. And I think you mean 'exist' not 'exit'.

Just sayin'.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Just signed, but not holding my breath. Cam in cam has to add some degree of difficulty to the equation - but would also be interesting to tweak?

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just signed, but not holding my breath. Cam in cam has to add some degree of difficulty to the equation - but would also be interesting to tweak?
Thank you! Not holding my breath either, but instead of complaining and bitc#ing about not having enough power I'm willing to try anything at this point...

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also signed!

WAKE UP SRT, GIVE US THE FREEDOM AND CHOICE TO TUNE OUR GEN 4s!

99% of the cars out there have a programmer.

Learn something from ford and chevy and expand your market towards the aftermarket world! More people will be modding their 08-10 vipers and will need to buy more parts from mopar as well. Is that really hard to see?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might help if you use the correct technical language. Suspensions are tuned. Engines are calibrated. I used to say "tuned" until a certain SRT employee corrected me. With that said, they will never do what you are requesting. The Mopar off road controller calibration is as far as they will go. Why? Warranty and liability issues. The same reason they have not opened the code on the 392 engine in the SRT 8 products despite a very high level of dissatisfaction by those who wish to enhance that engine with a more aggressive calibration.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It might help if you use the correct technical language. Suspensions are tuned. Engines are calibrated. I used to say "tuned" until a certain SRT employee corrected me. With that said, they will never do what you are requesting. The Mopar off road controller calibration is as far as they will go. Why? Warranty and liability issues. The same reason they have not opened the code on the 392 engine in the SRT 8 products despite a very high level of dissatisfaction by those who wish to enhance that engine with a more aggressive calibration.QUOTE

Are you joking, right?

You seem to be listening too much of those engineers words and their BS, seriously don't believe everything these guys tell you because a lot is crap.

Please, educate yourself when you talk about Warranty and liability issues and maybe try to explain to me why ford just released a 670 HP Mustang that can be tuned or calibrated very easily even before the car hit the lots. Chevrolet has a 640 hp corvette and their baby versions whose also can have the engine calibrated and with tons of aftermarket options which we don't have.

The engineers are the ones that should be listening to US and to the viper speed shops in order to improve their products and to sell MORE because, US the customers are the ones that pay for them to eat at the end of the day.

Do you hear about any ford or gm engineer talking about that crap of locking their ECUs to be "safe" when it comes to selling mustangs or camaros or corvettes???

The answer is NO.

Why?

Because, people wouldn't buy those cars anymore leading the brand to disaster and that is what is going to happen with the vipers and srts if they don't open their eyes soon.

A good part of our crowd has migrated to those other brands because they are just so mod. friendly. Ahh, and include the nissan gtr and many others to that list too.

When an engine can be tuned or calibrated it opens the aftermarket and make people wanna buy those cars more and more. Remember if it was for liability and warranties even the ford gt which was almost twice the price of the viper could have so many mods done to it and still have the engine calibrated after.. Did ford lock the ECU after they found that out?

NO.

03Whitetgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have wanted a Viper for a long as I can remember. Now that I can afford one, the thrill is fading knowing the only mod available is exhaust... The 13 GT500 has only been out for a couple of months and there's already a handfull running in the 9's with bolt-ons and tuning. Hell, even bolt-on / tuned 5.0's are putting out the power Gen3's are making. It sadens me to think if I pick up an 08-09 Viper, I wont be able to touch most my friends with Mustangs and Vettes. Its going to be a hard decision.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
"Listening to us" ? We always hear about how good a relationship the VCA has with the Viper people and when it comes to helping out with a known problem - like the door regulators or at least considering providing some help with the Gen 4 computer - which has now been out for almost 5 years - we seem to get the def ear treatment.

Might be good to also put another post in the SRT Engineering Q/A area to see what type of official response we get.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engineers are not the problem. They are dedicated gearheads. Chrysler sales, including SRT's sales are doing well. I do not think that a "good part of our crowd" has migrated anywhere. I do think that a number of our crowd have acquired additional vehicles. The economy has also forced some members to liquify assets including their Vipers. Its my experience that not many Viper owners use the stock power in any meaningful way. They do not road race, drag race or do standing mile events. I am sure that SRT and Chrysler know this through their market studies.

Chrysler has little incentive to take the extra risks involved. The entire SRT product line is a very small percentage of sales. Yearly Corvette and Mustang production far exceeds any year of Viper production. There is also the issue of internal competition betwen "Mopar Edition" vehicles, Mopar performance parts and SRT products. The supercharged vehicles you mention above, are considerably easier and cheaper to modify. Would I like to see things return to the flexibility of calibration present in the Gen III Viper? Yes. Will it happen? I doubt it. But I appreciate your passion. Keep trying. Maybe the windmill of upper Chrysler management will take note and compromise a bit on the issue.

In the meantime there is nothing, except cost, preventing someone from making meaningful mods to a Gen IV vehicle. There are many threads discussing modification projects involving Gen IV vehicles including twin turbo charging applications. Some of these posts have discussed the Gen IV calibration at length in the context of using an additional AEM or Motec controller.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can add headers, an exhaust and the Mopar off road controller. You would then have between 660 and 680 flywheel HP. You also might consider changing the differential ratio to 3.33 or 3.55 but first gear will come and go very, very quickly. Keep in mind that the Viper was designed as a road course car not a drag racer. Properly launching a Viper at the drag strip is an art form all by itself.

I have wanted a Viper for a long as I can remember. Now that I can afford one, the thrill is fading knowing the only mod available is exhaust... The 13 GT500 has only been out for a couple of months and there's already a handfull running in the 9's with bolt-ons and tuning. Hell, even bolt-on / tuned 5.0's are putting out the power Gen3's are making. It sadens me to think if I pick up an 08-09 Viper, I wont be able to touch most my friends with Mustangs and Vettes. Its going to be a hard decision.

03Whitetgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the meantime there is nothing, except cost, preventing someone from making meaningful mods

That could be said for anything on wheels.

I make a decent living, but I have a family and mortgage so I dont have unlimited funds. Most of these cars you speak of running AEM or Motec are either shop cars or folks in the upper 1%.

I would expect to pay 10K-15K for the ability to tune a Lambo or Ferrari; not a Dodge...

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper is not just a Dodge. The cost of a new Gen IV was 90K plus. If you are looking for a Viper to drag race, you might be better off buying a Gen III and modifying it. Keep in mind that a car that is supercharged or turbo charged from the factory, at least in my experience, is much eaiser and cheaper to modify than an NA car. The changed pulley. 90 MM mass air meter, cold air intake and calibration on my lightning was only $1300. Note that all my cars below are supercharged and they have all been, and continue to be, very reliable. Except for the Lightning, all the work was done by either Woodhouse in Blair Nebraska or Univeristy Dodge in Davie, Florida.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can add headers, an exhaust and the Mopar off road controller. You would then have between 660 and 680 flywheel HP. You also might consider changing the differential ratio to 3.33 or 3.55 but first gear will come and go very, very quickly. Keep in mind that the Viper was designed as a road course car not a drag racer. Properly launching a Viper at the drag strip is an art form all by itself.

Bob, I have all the mods you have listed above and find the mopar controller to be as useless as **** on a bull! I want to calibrate my engine now and believe there's 20 to 30 easy horsepower left on the table! Also the whole warranty excuse is simply BS! Why all the sudden shift? I had no isssues with my first viper an 02 FE with 940rw? I never went into a dodge dealership and asked for them to warranty my engine or driveline:rolleyes: Also if this is the case, why is Ralph and other people at SRT bragging and winking that the new snake has forged pistons and will be mod friendly?!:dunno:

03Whitetgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper is not just a Dodge. The cost of a new Gen IV was 90K plus. If you are looking for a Viper to drag race, you might be better off buying a Gen III and modifying it. Keep in mind that a car that is supercharged or turbo charged from the factory, at least in my experience, is much eaiser and cheaper to modify than an NA car. The changed pulley. 90 MM mass air meter, cold air intake and calibration on my lightning was only $1300. Note that all my cars below are supercharged and they have all been, and continue to be, very reliable. Except for the Lightning, all the work was done by either Woodhouse in Blair Nebraska or Univeristy Dodge in Davie, Florida.

I’m done messing around with "race cars". I’m looking to build a really fast, full weight street car; not a drag car. Yes, the Gen4 will get me to 560-590rwhp, but I’m looking for 650-750rwhp to hit up the Texas Mile. I can accomplish this easily with a Z06, but I would LOVE to do it with a Viper.

I know I can pick up an 06 Viper and have full control, but I really want a Gen4. Guess I’m too picky.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Gen IV Viper with headers, cat back exhaust, Mopar controller, lowered a tad and with smaller diameter wheels that acted to alter the ratios did 190 MPH at the Texas Mile. There is a detailed thread on this. The owner/driver is from Texas. Keep in mind that visually the only difference between a Gen IV and a Gen III is the hood. My Viper has produced 685 RWHP. I never got a chance to run it again in the standing mile after I had the transmission modified ( The FAA decided that we could not use the Everglades Miami Dade /Collier County jet port landing strip for standing mile events.) but based on seat of the pants feel with the new fifth gear, I would say that given the right weather conditions 190 MPH is possible. With the old fifth gear, when I shifted out of fourth gear at about 165MPH at about the half way point, the revs dropped so much that it severely impacted boost. It was very frustrating at the time. In one of the runs, I did an 11.1 quarter without that good of a launch but still did not break 175 MPH.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In one of the SRT Engineer chats, they said that the Gen IV motor is a bit more stressed than the Gen III motor. I took that to mean that the Gen III motor was/is more robust and is more tolerant of mods. I do not think that it is by accident that the Gen V motor has forged pistons and some other strengthened parts. The Gen II motor, particularly the 1999 motor, was a beast. Did you change the pistons out on your 2002 FE? I assume you did at the power level you mention.

Bob, I have all the mods you have listed above and find the mopar controller to be as useless as **** on a bull! I want to calibrate my engine now and believe there's 20 to 30 easy horsepower left on the table! Also the whole warranty excuse is simply BS! Why all the sudden shift? I had no isssues with my first viper an 02 FE with 940rw? I never went into a dodge dealership and asked for them to warranty my engine or driveline:rolleyes: Also if this is the case, why is Ralph and other people at SRT bragging and winking that the new snake has forged pistons and will be mod friendly?!:dunno:

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In one of the SRT Engineer chats, they said that the Gen IV motor is a bit more stressed than the Gen III motor. I took that to mean that the Gen III motor was/is more robust and is more tolerant of mods. I do not think that it is by accident that the Gen V motor has forged pistons and some other strengthened parts. The Gen II motor, particularly the 1999 motor, was a beast. Did you change the pistons out on your 2002 FE? I assume you did at the power level you mention.

Stressed!? Are they serious?! Stressed is 4L pushing 414 hp, it's not 8.4 pushing 600hp. My FE was fully built for the boost it pushed and that was stressed :rolaugh:

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The engineers are not the problem. They are dedicated gearheads. Chrysler sales, including SRT's sales are doing well. I do not think that a "good part of our crowd" has migrated anywhere. I do think that a number of our crowd have acquired additional vehicles. The economy has also forced some members to liquify assets including their Vipers. Its my experience that not many Viper owners use the stock power in any meaningful way. They do not road race, drag race or do standing mile events. I am sure that SRT and Chrysler know this through their market studies.

Chrysler has little incentive to take the extra risks involved. The entire SRT product line is a very small percentage of sales. Yearly Corvette and Mustang production far exceeds any year of Viper production. There is also the issue of internal competition betwen "Mopar Edition" vehicles, Mopar performance parts and SRT products. The supercharged vehicles you mention above, are considerably easier and cheaper to modify. Would I like to see things return to the flexibility of calibration present in the Gen III Viper? Yes. Will it happen? I doubt it. But I appreciate your passion. Keep trying. Maybe the windmill of upper Chrysler management will take note and compromise a bit on the issue.

In the meantime there is nothing, except cost, preventing someone from making meaningful mods to a Gen IV vehicle. There are many threads discussing modification projects involving Gen IV vehicles including twin turbo charging applications. Some of these posts have discussed the Gen IV calibration at length in the context of using an additional AEM or Motec controller.

Yes, the engineers are a big part of the problem. They shouldn't be telling people not to mod. their Gen 4s or making them afraid of doing so.
Instead, they should be providing Solutions with performance parts and kits and releasing them online so we gen 4 guys could buy them to improve our cars even more. Our cars don't have enought resource in parts and that needs to change or we will always remain small and will never grow. I want the viper and SRT to grow, don't you?

For example, The gen 4 pistons are the weakest link of the short block, so why not release a forged piston upgrade kit with rings. Stage 1, 2 and 3. Each one with different compression so the customer has the choice to upgrade their engine pistons if they want to and with whoever they want to build the engine with. Yes, sounds stupid but, is that simple. FORD and GM do that and it works exponencially well increasing their sales in parts and cars.

Nowadays, it is not only about the new released car like the new generation 5 that it's coming out in a few months. It is about what is going to be surrounding that car performance wise, growing with it and improving for the future. That would only benefit chrysler. People wanna know!
That being said, nothing against the folks that will buy a sports car to live it stock but, please, allow the others with more need for speed to do whatever the hell they want without being so prohibitive. Let the owner or tuner gain some or complete acess to modify their cars and be fully happy with it.

Also, some other people just want to say that they are fast and pop up the hood in car shows. Those would also buy the programmers, kits (you name it)just for braggin rights and that would cause more profit for chrysler. It will never hurt to surround a sport car or muscle car with even more speed parts and looks if they are affordable. Also, research and marketing has to be done more about parts among those car enthusiasts and owners and that I am more than sure they have to learn more from Ford and GM.

Yes, I know I am very passionate about the viper and my cars. Passionate but, not paranoid or blind and never careless. I can see what excites me about my car and what not and how could be improved but when you look out there and find NOTHING available it really makes you consider doing something different or moving to a different crowd. I play on the winning team and am performance friendly and will never let some engineer dictate fear in my ears simply because he thinks his way of doing things is the only right one. I will move to a different car brand to the winning one if the one I was playing for doesn't want to evolve... Know at least 3 viper owners that are trading in their cars for 13 gt500s just because the car is so tempting to do whatever the hell you want!

And who said that a viper is more track oriented to all the owners? Some will never drag race some will never road course, some will only drift with a paxton like yours you name it....

Try to put yourself in the skin of us gen 4 owners and having your lovely paxton with out an option to be calibrated. Would you be happy if you had to spend 6k+ to have an option to gain accessability to your ecu to tune the supercharged engine??

" Driving a generation 4 viper without an engine calibrator on the market is like keeping a black mamba inside a tiny dark tank its whole life eating only frozen mice. It will never really release its VENOM POTENTIAL to the world".

Last edited:

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stressed!? Are they serious?! Stressed is 4L pushing 414 hp, it's not 8.4 pushing 600hp. My FE was fully built for the boost it pushed and that was stressed :rolaugh:

I know BOB is hilarious talking about the engineers crap but I can tell he is a nice guy. LOL.:D

If my acr engine is stressed this thing is a POS which I doubt it is. C6Z06s engines are stressed those I would have to agree but not ours.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I’m done messing around with "race cars". I’m looking to build a really fast, full weight street car; not a drag car. Yes, the Gen4 will get me to 560-590rwhp, but I’m looking for 650-750rwhp to hit up the Texas Mile. I can accomplish this easily with a Z06, but I would LOVE to do it with a Viper.

I know I can pick up an 06 Viper and have full control, but I really want a Gen4. Guess I’m too picky.

And you are absolutely right and I completely agree with you. Why move backwards modding a gen3 engine if the 4s are much, much, better.
All we need is the freeking programmer to come out, that is all. The rest is the rest once we gain full access to mod the 4s. And forget the engineers, if it blows I am paying the bill anyways not them as they couldn't design better pistons anyways.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" Driving a generation 4 viper without an engine calibrator on the market is like keeping a black mamba inside a tiny dark tank its whole life eating only frozen mice. It will never really release its VENOM POTENTIAL to the world".

AMEN! I wonder how many gen 4 owners will get into the gen 5 if it has the same limitations?! I know I won't! :nono:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT Engineers do not control what after market parts are allowed to be developed and sold for SRT products. That is MOPAR's turf. SRT engineers are just that - engineers. The problem that has been raised here has nothing to do with them.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This post is internally inconsistent. You built the motor to allow for the increased power level. The engineers think of the word "stressed" in the context of upper level wiggle room. A certain amount is built into the engine during development. They were comfortable with adding the headers, cat back and Mopar controller which, if done correctly, could boost power in the Gen IV to the 660 to 685 area. Beyond that, there was a concern that there was insufficient safety margin. The amount of testing done during development of both the engine and the MOPAR controller was extensive. I defer to the SRT Engineer expertise over anyone, other than one of them, who posts here. My formula for modification is to use the tried and true installed by the experienced and well capitalized service provider. This strategy has worked well over the decades to produce reliable, modified high performance vehicles. See the stats below.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4