Polishing raised Aluminum Letters on valve covers?

1999GTSsilverwblue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My raised letters on my valve covers are beginning to dull due to oxidation.

I plan to polish with a Dremel type high speed unit with a polishing tip and polishing compound. Time consuming ,but probably effective.

Any other suggestions?

:usa: Long Live American Muscle :usa:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I beleive I've heard a sanding block with your favorite 1000 to 1500 grit paper, followed by polishing works well. I need to try it myself.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mask around the letters to protect the the painted area. Use one of the 3M abrasive flexible sanding blocks. I found some 2" X 2" blocks they are perfect.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I blocked with 2000. Lot's of water. Fold paper over on itself around the edges. ( Won't catch.)

Before:

416IMG_1936-med.JPG

After:

416IMG_1935-med.JPG

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
was concerned about a slip of the hand with my idea a messing up the Red.
Like mentioned above bury the red all around the logo in masking tape. That will give you time to stop sanding if you see you have tilted or otherwise gone wrong before you mow into the red.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When sanding, I'd recommend 1500+ and sanding in one direction. If you go longitudinally with the letters, they'll catch light differently and look goofy. There's a post on this a few days back with more info....do a search for "powder coated valve covers".

:2tu:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys --

There's no need to use sand paper and keep knocking the level of material down! Just get some good wadding polish (at any hardware store), use a little elbow grease and they will shine up bright as new. You don't need to worry about slipping off onto the red part of the cover, because the wadding polish won't hurt the paint (it just washes right off).

Before:

6594PICT0105-med.JPG

After:

6594PICT0106-med.JPG

6594PICT0107-med.JPG

Touch it up once a month or so and you're good to go! :cool:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's no need to use sand paper and keep knocking the level of material down! Just get some good wadding polish (at any hardware store), use a little elbow grease and they will shine up bright as new.
I've tried that, no dice. I don't know what the corrosion is on mine (it was there when I bought it used), but its very deep, and no amount of polishing seems to affect it. Hence, at least in my case, I'm going to try the sandpaper thing someday when I care enough to work again on how the engine looks. :cool:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I wrong or are the valve covers made of magnesium?
I think I remember that the magnesium won’t stay bright for long.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even if you can chrome them you should not. It will radiate the heat right back at the engine, sort of like putting Reynolds Wrap around them.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sand mine. If you use this method I suggest gluing the paper to the block to keep it flat. This will reduce the risk of accidentally scratching the red due to "bulging" sandpaper.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lettering seems to have a clear coating of some type on it from the factory, therefore sanding the letters down the first time seems to be required to get rid of the coating and then you can just polish with your favorite mag/aluminum polish. Flitz seems to give a pretty lasting shine.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Am I wrong or are the valve covers made of magnesium?
I think I remember that the magnesium won’t stay bright for long.

You're exactly right.

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those came out very nice, BLWNV10!
I did not have such good luck with my powdercoating. It started bubbling off within the year.
What do you get ($$ wise) for powdercoating the valve covers and intake (on a non-Roe car)

BLWNV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the compliment.

Doing the intake vs Roe Setup is a lot more work. We get $375.00 for the Roe setup with valve covers.

$425.00 for valve covers and stock intake. This actually doesn't reflect the additional work involved. The intake is like 30lbs, it has to be stripped which takes 2 to 3 times in the stripper. Then all the openings have to be taped up which is very time consuming.
Powdercoat is added to match the color of your car, and is wiped off of the ribs before baking. Then the clear is added and also wiped off of the ribs and baked again. After that all of the ribs are hand polished to a really bright finish. We don't use clear coat on the ribs because the intake is aluminum and it is very easy to polish the ribs if they dull. They also don't dull very fast because they are aluminum vs magnesium (valve covers).

Wish the intake was easier, and we could charge the same for that package.

Thanks,
Alan
AlansPerformance.com

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did mine with Mother's Aluminum Mag polish and a microfiber rag. Turned out good and didn't affect the paint.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the mother aluminum mag polish, the wadding polish, and nothing has worked either. Seems like theres some kind of "film" on the letters and nothing is making a difference. I guess the only alternative is to use the sanding block.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tried the mother aluminum mag polish, the wadding polish, and nothing has worked either. Seems like theres some kind of "film" on the letters and nothing is making a difference. I guess the only alternative is to use the sanding block.

Just so you know, it takes about 15-20min per side to do it by hand. The oxidation won't come off immediately. Work the polish on until your fingers get tired, then try again. Unless your valve covers were painted by the previous owner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4