• Inset like the ACR, but you'll need dive planes to match

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I already get rice all over my car when I'm behind you

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started laying out the front edge of my splitter last night and can't decide between the center being inset like on the ACR or just keep the same dimension all the way across the front. I snagged a couple of net pics of SRT's for a quickie visual.

I'm not at this point planning on doing the dive planes, but I could... :D

SMOOTH...

You must be registered for see images

INSET...

You must be registered for see images

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without the canards on the sides I would stick with smooth.

However, I do really like the inset style from a looks standpoint and if you decide to do the canards then go with inset.

Wow, that wasn't really helpful at all... :confused:

The car isn't riced out yet. You would need a fake N2O bottle that was a subwoofer, 6" exhaust tips, and interior neon for it to be truly riced out. I like all the mods that I have seen. I think it all looks cool. :2tu:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the inset style on my Miata and it looks good especially with all the soy sauce decals on it. :)

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would inset make a difference over speed bumps and driveways?

(i voted inset and dive planes, btw)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure some people have already seen these photos. Forgive the repeat but it shows the two types of splitter on a Gen 2

SMOOTH

Car_fall_color_nov_07_037.jpg

Perkins_Hood_5_22_07_2_pics_001.jpg

INSET

Home_finally_015.jpg

Home_finally_003.jpg

Home_finally_001.jpg

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the inset style on my Miata and it looks good especially with all the soy sauce decals on it. :)

That being said, I take it " ACR" is another word for "SOY"

Wait a minute, You OWN a Miata?....nevermind.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey... Thanks for those pics. I knew I'd seen them somewhere before.

The inset one looks fine w/o the dive planes on your car, but that is of course a different fascia - the Autoform versus my OE.

Also to consider would be black on sapphire versus black on red like my car. The splitter will be more pronounced on the brighter (and faster :D) color.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would inset make a difference over speed bumps and driveways?

(i voted inset and dive planes, btw)

It makes a HUGE difference...:). Loading on trailers, curbs etc. are a lot easier to handle with the inset.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey... Thanks for those pics. I knew I'd seen them somewhere before.

The inset one looks fine w/o the dive planes on your car, but that is of course a different fascia - the Autoform versus my OE.

Also to consider would be black on sapphire versus black on red like my car. The splitter will be more pronounced on the brighter (and faster :D) color.

Agreed, the AF fascia and dark color do change the effect. It will look "larger" on your car. The photos kinda' give an idea of the shapes you are talking about though.

You have done a great job on everthing else, I'm sure this will be equally as nice...:2tu:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please, post a photo with you driving it. It's so rare to see a guy driving one...;)

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, the AF fascia and dark color do change the effect. It will look "larger" on your car. The photos kinda' give an idea of the shapes you are talking about though.

You have done a great job on everthing else, I'm sure this will be equally as nice...:2tu:

As far as shape at this point, what I drew up last night as the fascia sits there on the big sheet of fiberglass, is 1-1/2" extra width right by the wheel well, then as soon as you are far enough forward 3" wide around all the way to the front.

It looked good that way setting on the bench drawn with a Sharpie.

Then I did a 1" inset. Did not like it. Determined it was not enough and redrew with a 2" inset. Bingo.

So now I like both. :(

And thanks for the compliments and comments. The feedback is priceless. :2tu:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave
This is my splitter after taking 1 inch all the way around the outer edge. Then took 2 inches off of the center.
The half moon is to remove the oil filter. The rectangular cutout is for new hood release that works fron under the splitter. A custom job..

splitter.jpg

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is from under the car looking forward. The square tubing is attached to the radiator support. The splitter is attached from underneath and a bolt screws into this rod supporting the bulk of the weight. You can see the small hole in the previous photo. It is also attached in several other places.

Hope this helps..

Good Luck...:)

fascia_support_006.jpg

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please, post a photo with you driving it. It's so rare to see a guy driving one...;)

Ouch. I'll post it as soon as I find a camera with a fast enough shutter speed. :lmao: At least I track it. That's the only place a splitter works, believe me, I know. BTW I love to give Dave a bad time................his car does look pretty cool...just not my style.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks treesnake for posting those pics.
I'm also working on a front splitter for the stock fascia.
those pics help a lot.

is your splitter molded ABS plastic?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, how about doing a cardboard template of the ACR splitter and offer it up to your front facia, take a pic then we can compare :dunno:

I did vote for the smooth look, but now after seeing Treesnakes pics im not too sure :confused:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks treesnake for posting those pics.
I'm also working on a front splitter for the stock fascia.
those pics help a lot.

is your splitter molded ABS plastic?

No, it's actually 3/8 Luan. overlayed with fiberglass.. It is pretty tough though. I used ABS poprivets to attach the splitter to the rest of the frame. The reason is that the rivets would shear off and lessen the damage to the rest of the car/fascia.

The rivets worked when I tried to load the car on the lift. Problem was, the lift wasn't all the way down.:smirk: I bumped the center bar on the lift with the splitter. The rivets broke off and there was very little damage to the splitter. It didn't come all the way off because I did use a few hardened bolts. I was somewhat concerned that rivets only could fail and the splitter become a kite at high speeds...

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I'm amazed at Big I, is that I'm actually going with the majority this time!

Well, except for the unexplained imbalance by the garlic chicken voters. :rolleyes:

A million of them ********? :dunno:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh, guys. You do realize the reason the new ACRs have the cutout isn't for style but so it passes federal regulations don't you?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I didn't. But does it matter why it is what it is? And maybe as a bonus you could share this great secret with us peons?

Obviously it doesn't matter to posers. But my understanding is that the splitter can not extended beyond the bumper. Therefore the removable section was created.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are pedestrian crash standards that involve bumpers and how far they can stick out.

The idea behind the ACR splitter is that if you hit a pedestrian with a full splitter it would cut them off at the ankles instead of allowing them to "roll" onto the hood. Thus they had to design a "split" splitter. In theory, if you ran into a pedestrian, the bumper would hit them at about knee height and the hood and bumper would absorb most of the impact. A full splitter would knock out their ankles first and you might run over them or they might get caught up in the bumper kind of like a cow catcher...

I know the rules are in effect in most Eurpopean countries. I couldn't find find anything about it here though:

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations

so it may not yet apply to vehicles specifically for domestic consumption.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are pedestrian crash standards that involve bumpers and how far they can stick out.

The idea behind the ACR splitter is that if you hit a pedestrian with a full splitter it would cut them off at the ankles instead of allowing them to "roll" onto the hood. Thus they had to design a "split" splitter. In theory, if you ran into a pedestrian, the bumper would hit them at about knee height and the hood and bumper would absorb most of the impact. A full splitter would knock out their ankles first and you might run over them or they might get caught up in the bumper kind of like a cow catcher...

I know the rules are in effect in most Eurpopean countries. I couldn't find find anything about it here though:

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations

so it may not yet apply to vehicles specifically for domestic consumption.

A good example of how absolutely insane society has gotten.