Popping sound when turning?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got my 2000 ACR on jackstands because I have a noise coming from my passenger side when I turn to the right. I noticed that my coilover spring can be turned 360 degrees by hand?

I know it's on jackstands so there is no load on the springs but it appears to be a lot looser than the drivers side, at least it doesn't move by hand. I do plan on adjusting the coilovers to lower the car, so it might not be anything to worry about.

I've checked my suspension and everything is tight. I do need to replace a broken wheel stud so maybe that is where my noise is coming from?

Not sure what to do about the spring? Thanks!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
based on the thread title i was going to say look at the control arms. that is exactly what mine did a day or so before mine broke. but it sounds like you have something else going on. sorry for the left turn no signal

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's crazy stuff! I don't think that is where my noise is coming from, but I will look into it.

Does anyone know what size stud I need to replace my broken one? Thanks!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be a ball joint, tie rod end, steering box, control arm mounting point (loose shims), steering box mounting failure (cracked frame).

Does it pop once or make a constant noise?

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jance ,thread size is 1/2-20 .

20mm?

Could be a ball joint, tie rod end, steering box, control arm mounting point (loose shims), steering box mounting failure (cracked frame).

Does it pop once or make a constant noise?

It pops anytime I turn the to the right. So I'm thinking it's a tie rod or ball joint, possibly the sway bar too?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it a 'pop pop pop...' when turning? or just a single pop? If its a constant pop pop pop while turning and everything looks good and no noise on jacks, you prob need new wheel bearings.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jance , I see someone told you about the thread size already:headbang:. If you have a single pop, it could be the tierod end.When you remove it, it may not show any play what so ever, yet it can give you the pop.At this point the car is still driveable but get a new part and install later.You have to determine what side the noise is coming from though.Have someone outside to listen to it.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my GTS. It ended up being a u-joint. My problem was it blew up at the top of a mountain pass. Check and double check the u joints. The popping noise that I had before the u joint blew up was gone as soon as I replaced it. Mine happened to be the u joint on the 1/2 shaft. I replaced both left side ujoints and we checked the rest of them. It was just the one but while we were in there it was way too easy to replace both on that side so we did it. Cured the popping noise. Cheap fix too. I think the total was $310.00 including labor and both u-joints. The tow bill was over $700.00 to get it to the shop... TG for CAA.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like Dave6666 said, have someone outside to listen where the sound coming from.Worn U-joints give continuous clicking sounds turning left or right.U-joint at the transmission's output shaft is also easy to pinpoint.When the tierod end start going, greasing at the ****** sometimes cures the noise for a while.Smallest amount of play in the stabilizer bar bushings can also develop a clunking sound similar like a loose shock absorber at the tower.Finding the source of noises could be as frustrating as finding the source of water leak found on the floor of a car under the carpet;)

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe the spring being loose has something to do with it. I do plan on lowering the car with the spanner wrench but I want to find the problem before I do. Hopefully it will be an easy fix. Thanks for all the help! ;)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds to me like you have a bad part on your car, could b low on gas maybe

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds to me like you have a bad part on your car, could b low on gas maybe

How did you know I was low on gas? That's creepy! :omg:

I bought a wheel stud tonight from AutoZone but the lug nut stops half way?

Is there a specific part number that I need? It was 1/2 - 20.

Thanks!

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the lug nut went half way, the thread pitch must be right.
You may want to buy a tap and die from Sears,or any tool shop and chase the threads on the stud and nut, both.

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I've got the stud changed out and the coilover tighten. Now whenever I spin the wheel it has a slight "ticking" sound when it rotates? It almost sounds like I'm watching Wheel of Fortune... Any ideas on what is making the sound now?