Possible to flat spot tires?

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently took my 96 and 03 Vipers to Gingerman and for the first time drove them on a track. I let a friend drive the 96. Loose rubber from the track built up on the tires that I was able to get off by just driving them in tight circles both directions. The 96 (original tires, 6500 miles on them)now seems to have "flat" spots on the tires. The sound and vibration is worse at lower speeds. My friend said he had to lock up the brakes on one or two occasions prior to some turns. I didn't see how far the car traveled "locked up."

My question is this; is it possible to flat spot the tires in just these one or two times to the point that it is very noticeable on the road or should I be looking at other possible out of balance components?

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part of it is possibly due to the age of the tires. I, personally wouldn't track a car with 9+ year old tires on it.
And yes it is possible to flat spot a tire with just one lock up.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1996 original equipment tires on the track???? Ouch - replace them ASAP - you don't even want those tires on the car on the street, don't even mention the track!

OP
OP
S

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thankyou for the input and advise. Being inexperienced with tracking I wasn't sure they could flat spot that readily. I will take your advice and make work of getting them replaced.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, after GETTING NEW TIRES, an absolute must; then get Tom's 40mm rear brakes for the '96; makes all the difference in the world!!

Man, I sure am getting tired of these practically automated responses regarding Tom's rear brake upgrade. This is a guy with a '96, still with the original tires, and it's his first time on the track. Do you really think he is ready for upgrades? I know you are not the only one posting these reponses--a couple of weeks ago someone suggested the upgrade for an ABS car. It's just getting old.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It isn't just for the track it makes the brakes better for the street also. Better brakes means safer driving. If this guy is flying up behind me on the track or the street I'd like to think he is running improved brakes. Toms set up does a nice job of balancing the brakes on non abs cars. Not to mention the safety factor.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't ask any question, except maybe a rhetorical one.
6500 miles in almost ten years. The chances of his "flying up behind you" on the track or street are pretty slim at those kind of numbers.
And modifying his car at all may not be what he's into as an obvious collector (look at his car list).
Sorry to offend, but if you look at these posts all over about this upgrade, they are a little out of hand. I'm glad you are all happy with yours. But give it a little rest.
What about the post for these rear brakes for the ABS car a while ago...that was a "safety" issue also, or just more jumping on the bandwagon? (This is the question part, feel free to answer).

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom's a great guy, makes a great product and service. Why not prop him when applicable? Lotsa newbs logging and trolling. First time reading for them.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
In case anyone doesn't know it already, old tires lose their stickyness. They get hard and lose their grip. And even relatively newer tires can lose their grip after so many (?) heat cycles.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom's a great guy, makes a great product and service. Why not prop him when applicable? Lotsa newbs logging and trolling. First time reading for them.

I am sure Tom is a great guy, and there are reasons that everyone heaps accolades on him. His sounds like a very intelligent solution to a major design flaw. I'm just pointing out the fact that his answer is not everyone's answer to every question. Case in point, the recommendation to get this upgrade for my '01 when I asked if Ram SRT-10 brakes were adaptable to the GenI and II. Someone else recommended it for a guy asking between Brembo and StopTech four-corner kits...am I missing something or are those choices not even in the same ballpark with a single-piston Renault caliper, bored to 40 mm or not? As for newbies, all the more reason to shy away from an advanced upgrade recommendation. As for trollers, since there is a thank you Tom, thank you Tom, THANK YOU TOM post on the same page, I doubt if they would miss it. You guys can, and will, do what you want. I'm just giving you a little feedback on it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you CopMag. Years ago I got annoyed at BTR for sounding like a advertisement in every post. But the more I thought about it the more sense it made for people to prop good products and services on a car forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang