Power Steering remote modification

Reaction score
I did a power steering modification after my 2nd power steering pump failure. It's a remote high volume reservoir, much higher flow capacity into the pump (and it's filtered, but just a micro screen), it has a cooler and it's all braided stainless steel lines. I've had a few racers who needed it, but we could hobble together the parts and weld in the required fitting (inlet side of pump) at the track.

If there was any interest, I'll be glad to build up some kits. Let me know.
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Yeh, I've got some pictures of installing it on my car, but what I thought I'd do is build a couple of kits, take pictures of that + my install and the 1st guy that gets one of the kits can augment the pictures and cookbook story. Installation is so easy, even I can do it in just a few hours.

Michael Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thought... rather than weld, John Kobell (Classic BMW) in Dallas has threaded the inlet side. Tom Minnella was having a lot of trouble with the stock unit on his 600 Serpent; they've played with different configurations to solve his problem! Tapping might be better that putting excessive heat from welding on the small pump?

Reaction score
Jeff is the one your talking about the one you showed me on your car a few weeks ago? If so it is one clean itstall. It looks like it came that way from the factory.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
As far as the weld:
The inlet to the pump is too thin to properly tap it, (just my opinion). If you do, you then run the risk of the threads not sealing, because the walls are too thin or cracking the walls for the same reason. Another problem with tapping the threads may be inclusion of foriegn material into the pump itself...not a good thing, (although I realize it can be done, if done carefully and properly). Tom told me about his, and it will probably work just fine, but it is another place to worry about a leak or break.

When the new inlet extension is welded to the pump housing, we wrapped the pump assembly in a cool moist towel to absorb as much of the heat as possible. The method of welding it was by using a TIG welder. We thought this method would keep the weld very concentrated, to alleviate any possible damage to the pump or its seals. It sure worked on mine.

We feel this method is far superior than to create one more possibility for a leak or failure. This is a racing part, therefore it is built like one.

As far as Wilks posts of my car, that's because he did much of the work on it before he got in trouble. (Actually, I just helped him).

The nice part is it works! At least for me, and I’m on the track a lot with my old ’94 Anaconda King Snake. I haven’t even had to add fluid for since I did the modification and I’ve logged 7+ weekend races (besides the one’s I blew up at, and that wasn’t the power steering) + VOI 6. Come to think of it, I did change the fluid before the Viper Days Finals, but it was still full and clean.

If you guys would prefer, I can ask one of our tuners to build up the kits. I (as you guys know) do all my stuff with Roy @ TNT, but I think he (and most the other guys) are too busy for a simple fix like this. I just thought I could put kits together like mine.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my opinion, it is not necessary to relocate the p/s reservoir. All you really need is a heat shield in front of the headers to stop the radiated heat. I have used this idea for three years and have had no problems after many track events. I mounted the stainless shield to the 7/16 threaded bolt hole on the forward part of the heads, that is used to pull the engine.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry Scott[CO]:
In my opinion, it is not necessary to relocate the p/s reservoir. All you really need is a heat shield in front of the headers to stop the radiated heat. I have used this idea for three years and have had no problems after many track events. I mounted the stainless shield to the 7/16 threaded bolt hole on the forward part of the heads, that is used to pull the engine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be a lot cheaper, but in Texas, it's HOT! Plus I'm not sure that's all the problem. Maybe you're right and that's all it would take in the heat down here too. But after two track events, loosing the track time, trailering my car, replacement costs and associated stuff...I'd rather have a bullet proof solution, (I think that's why I see so much strength and robustness built into race cars).

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Road course racing in the "super hot" Texas summer sun was also too much for my PS system as well, even with the pump well insulated. What solved my problem was simply relocating a better PS cooler and using an underdrive pulley. Dan Cragin set me up with all this, including the new serpentine belt, for around $150 as I recall. Never a problem since.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An added hint: Cold-Climate power steering fluids are part-synthetic base oils and will tolerate the heat better. I believe this is a Chrysler item and is sold at the GM parts counter as "Cold Climate Power Steering Fluid."

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I think with a new pump, pulley (Gen 1 & 2 are different); aluminum race reservoir (could be plastic and save ~ $60); st. st. lines (could be rubber and save again, but I don't think I want them); mounts, aircraft fittings, welding, cooler (the best I've found), filter, documentation, shipping, handling, taxes, etc. would run $1000 (could save here and there maybe, I'll keep good receipts for those who want to get a kit)

That's a lot, when you could do a $150 solution, but I like mine better (no offense Wing King). I think the fluid is cooler. The PS pump is bolted to the block and it is a heat sink, transmitting that heat to the tank. Even with a shield, it's hot. My solution feeds the PS pump with very cool fluid and it's filtered to protect the pump. Plus the volume of the fluid is so high (in my system, the tank, lines and filter adds volume) , it helps dissipate heat.

It's obviously up to you guys, but I think I'll build a couple to take to the track and the next time someone needs one, I'll have it. If you think I'm nuts (Evil Joe Ellis, Bob Woodhouse, Bill Pimberton, et al... DON'T ANSWER) just keep it to yourself...you know how fragile my ego is...

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
If I build up a kit and sell it at the track, are there liability risks? For instance if someone doesn't install it correctly or a component breaks, wouldn't I be liable? I believe our tuners have insurance for this kind of stuff. After listening to the advice of my friends, I think I should leave this kind of stuff to the guys that make a living doing it.

For all the expense, trouble and risks, I don't see how our tuners make a living doing stuff like this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte