Pre-owned 2005 Exhaust?

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All,

I purchased a 2005 Viper SRT a week and a half ago.

Car only had 7800 miles on it when purchased.

I got double lucky because it was put into service VERY late. The initial sale date was 11/24/2006 so I am under warranty until almost 2010.

Here is my question.

I am not sure whether or not the exhaust is stock on this vehicle.

This car burbles, and is MUCH louder than my 2004 Mustang Cobra with Flowmaster mufflers.

When I pass other vehicles on the freeway and "get on it" the roar is pretty darn loud and I can't imagine this would pass federal noise regulations.

I'm guessing this car has a Borla on it, but without taking it apart I can't tell.

It seems louder than another car I saw at a show that had a Corsa.

Is there any easy way to tell if the exhaust has been changed?

How mellow or loud is the stock exhaust on these cars?

Tim

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the tips of the exhausts that come out the sides black or chrome? If its chrome its not stock.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll have to look when i go outside for lunch.

Seriously though, when I get on it it's like BRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!

Thing Pops on deceleration too.

Other than that the vehicle is completely stock.

The guy with the Corsa started his up and it wasn't loud at all compared to this. My car sounds like a Wellcraft Scarab powerboat with a big block and a thru hull exhaust.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thing Pops on deceleration too.
That's standard... and really cool.

I think the regular sound is not too bad, but it does roar a bit when you step on it.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say you had different mufflers or no cats or possibly high flows. Be interesting to me to know what you have.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll try to get some pictures when I get home.

It's definitely not a chop job.

When I bought the car, the HVAC blower didn't work.

I was reading that there is a Mopar engine ECU that is mated with an exhaust system and thought that is what I had, but I brought the car in and it turned out to be a knackered blower motor.

I read that some versions of that ECU would render the A/C inoperable, but I guess that is not what I have.

I didn't expect this to be louder than my flowmaster equipped supercharged Cobra, but it is, especially under part throttle above 2500-3000 RPM it sounds wicked.

I heard that the cabin gets real hot on these things too, and either I am just a manly man and it doesn't bother me, but I don't seem to feel that it's all that bad.

Car must have cats because the exhaust does not stink at all.

If this is stock, I don't know why people change them out it sounds really good. And this is coming from a Mustang owner (that sound is legendary)

Tim

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some pics.

The side outlet looks funky due to the flash.

The exhaust outlet is flawless on this car. It looks all scratched in this pic for some reason.

Other pic is the catalyst.

Attachments

• DSC01035.jpg
    DSC01035.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC01037.jpg
    DSC01037.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 44

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The tip looks stock. Why dont you just pull the side sill and look. It could have mufflers cut out, you never know. Does it still have the crossover. Need more pics or info. And it looks like cats are there. You dont know loud until you run a Corsa and No cats. Then its mean. Anyways pull your side sill and check it out.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may have replacement hi flow mufflers and or Rt cats that retained the factory crossover and tips. you will never know without removing the side sills or contacting the previous owner.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

It's a moot point anyway as I picked up a full Corsa track exhaust from DC Performance during lunch.

Going to install it myself.

Hopefully the Corsa is as good as what I've been reading.

Tim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21