Prices Down, I'm Thinking.......

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With this being a buyers market I started thinking I could pick up a new/used
venom red 2008 and have it painted SSG for MUCH LESS then I would have
to pay for it. With values dropping so fast I almost think it's a no brainer.
Its not like the car is holding its value and to repaint it would hurt resale.
I could even pick up a 2006 coupe cheap and do the same thing and of
course add the new hood.

What do you all think ??????????????????

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nope Tom, you are way too picky, and a quality repaint you would demand would be a serious chunk out of your wallet and your thought process. When it did come time to resale , that would be lost money, and you only like found!

Like the market , Vipers go down and Vipers will likely be back up, so cover your self and just get what you want the first time out.

JMHO

Willie Da P

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im thinking now that they have killed off the Viper, we'll start to see prices bounce back as demand rises and supply falls. Especially on 08s and 09s.

Flash

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a funny feeling that we're at a price bottom. This weekend alone, I heard enough conversations between friends of mine about buying a Viper than I have heard my entire life. The feeling out there seems to be that Viper is about to be an instant classic and everyone who lived through the demise of great muscle cars of the '70s is thinking about how they can grab one before they're gone.

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
price will undoubtedly go up. Probably quite high in 5 years or so. I wish I had the space to buy another one and just leave it parked in a bubble

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my ssgvert is avaialble 08 with grey stripes 5k miles like new or take over lease at 1900 a month 22 more months left

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whether it's gone or not, I think you will see prices go up. If it is gone, of course prices will go up. If it is bought out, I think the new owner will make sure prices will go up.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With 150+ new ones still at dealerships(including a huge amount of 2008's and even a mattering of 2006's) I wouldn't expect the prices to go UP for a long time. As dealers are forced out of existence by the bankruptcy court I have a feeling that the market will be flooded with low priced auction cars for some time to come.

That being said, I still think the recent stock market runup is a sucker's bear market rally, so who knows if my opinion is even worth a plug nickel:omg: Only time will tell.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With 150+ new ones still at dealerships(including a huge amount of 2008's and even a mattering of 2006's) I wouldn't expect the prices to go UP for a long time. As dealers are forced out of existence by the bankruptcy court I have a feeling that the market will be flooded with low priced auction cars for some time to come.

That being said, I still think the recent stock market runup is a sucker's bear market rally, so who knows if my opinion is even worth a plug nickel:omg: Only time will tell.

I agree about the market - in December I got into ETFs in a big way and now I'm up pretty solid. Not as much as if I bought 10,000 shares of Ford at $2 and sold them at $6, but up a solid 20% so far. I'm now reallocating back into cash and will sit on the sidelines to see what happens for a while.

Regarding Vipers, I think this is the best possible time to buy one. There are all kinds of color combos out there, it's the best engine/drivetrain yet, they handle fantastic, and any way you slice it they will hold their value better than most cars. Ironically, I think the ACRs are going to be screaming deals for a short period of time too. There are plenty of them that were on order for a long time and now the buyers don't want them. That's a recipe for some great negotiating since the deposit has been put down and dealerships don't want to get stuck with the car in this marketplace. There are also a lot of people who bought them and now realize that $105k IS a lot of money and they want to unload them - so good deals can be found. If I had the cash, I'd pick a few of them up and store them away on blocks.

bglmn92

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, Wanted. Those were my thoughts exactly, and that's
what I went and did. (...got a 9,000 mile '08, for 55K)

Only problem though, once I saw the Venom Red in person,
I cancelled the "new paint" plan. :2tu::D

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can fight the urge for this summer, I bet you will find some cheap SSG Vipers yet this Fall/Winter that are 08/09s. The prices have taken a real hit no doubt, but as more and more people get their lives in order and some stability in their jobs, and credit opened up, you will see that they will want to fulfil their dreams of owning one. Best time to buy is in the winter when the prices are the lowest.

Also, we do not know what the new owner is going to do yet. Some may want to jump to the new product and some may want to stay Dodge Viper. Too early to tell, but I will say that Venom Red ***** in pictures but is a real stunner in real life. I was always leaning towards SSG because I saw it in real life and really liked it, but Venom Red in the direct sunlight really pops. I think once you saw it in real life, you would also cancel the re-paint. If your heart is set on SSG, then just hold out for a good used one in a low price. It will jump out yet. Repainting just never produces that OEM quality finish, plus you always get that why did it need a repaint question. It absolutely kills any resale value down the road. Considering Viper prices wil rise for unmolested or unmodded cars, that would be the way I would go, but that is just me. I am modding my 06' Coupe, but absolutely everythign is pure bolt on with the take off parts going in bumble wrap for the future. Costs a lot more, but you just never know where this thing is going in the future.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i can find a 08 ssg vert in the low 50s i would be very interested and just unload my 08 since its 25k upside down maybe more.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can fight the urge for this summer, I bet you will find some cheap SSG Vipers yet this Fall/Winter that are 08/09s. The prices have taken a real hit no doubt, but as more and more people get their lives in order and some stability in their jobs, and credit opened up, you will see that they will want to fulfil their dreams of owning one. Best time to buy is in the winter when the prices are the lowest.

Also, we do not know what the new owner is going to do yet. Some may want to jump to the new product and some may want to stay Dodge Viper. Too early to tell, but I will say that Venom Red ***** in pictures but is a real stunner in real life. I was always leaning towards SSG because I saw it in real life and really liked it, but Venom Red in the direct sunlight really pops. I think once you saw it in real life, you would also cancel the re-paint. If your heart is set on SSG, then just hold out for a good used one in a low price. It will jump out yet. Repainting just never produces that OEM quality finish, plus you always get that why did it need a repaint question. It absolutely kills any resale value down the road. Considering Viper prices wil rise for unmolested or unmodded cars, that would be the way I would go, but that is just me. I am modding my 06' Coupe, but absolutely everythign is pure bolt on with the take off parts going in bumble wrap for the future. Costs a lot more, but you just never know where this thing is going in the future.

Thats funny. I went last weekend to see and drive a new 08 Venom red. Love the car but did not like the color on a Viper. Its a great deal too. $79,000 Can which is about $66,000.00 US. I wanted to see it in person and even in the sun it just didnt do it for me. I passed on the deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960