prime the oil filter?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Absolutely. You should always put as much oil in the filter as you can without having it drain back out while you're installing it (some filters mount at an angle). The bad part is, most oil change places don't, and the motor runs with low oil pressure while the filter fills.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always prefill mine when they are oriented in such a way that it is possible. When the filters axis is horizontal, I don't prefill but I do pull the coil or primary side of the ignition and turn the motor over at starter speed for a few revolutions. That way the filter fills at a very very low rpm and less wear is put on the bearings.

I hope I helped a little.

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks!!
2 changes so far; 200 miles and 1500 miles i now have 2000 miles on her and am getting ready for the 3000 mile change.
1 change they primed and it started easy; for what ever reason the 2nd they didn't prime and it just didnt sound right...

thanks again.. i will always have it prefilled!!!

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my small block Chevy (302), I always remove the distributor and use an oil pump drive (sawed off distributor) if the engine
is new, or has been sitting for an extended time. If it's only
been a few days or weeks, I can crank the engine over long enough to build up oil pressure before the engine fires (Holley carb you know....). Is there a way to prime the oil pump on
my Viper without starting the engine ? With electronic ignition
and EFI, the engine wants to catch right away. I was thinking
there might be some trick you could do with the security system,
but that's only a fuel shut off, and the engine will start and run until it's out of fuel.
?????????????

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Flooring the accelerator leans the mixture as a way to clear flooding. If your not flooded, it would probably be too lean to start.</FONT f>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas