Problem with temp. gauge on 98 GTS please help.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my system bled of any air pockets out of my cooling system by a Viper tech however,my temp changes alot it's almost like my gas gauge. It still never gets close to the red but it will go from 190 to 215 instantly and then back again jumping all over the place under stop and go driving. Do I need a new temp gauge or is there something else the tech can do to make the temp more stable? Thanks in advance.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing especially in stop and go driving. I've came to the conclusion that it's normal. It does in the Summer at 85 to 90 degrees and did it this Fall when the temp was about 29.
:rolleyes:

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might still be a little air in it. I would not question the gauge it appears to be operating properly. Has this cars radiator fan been replaced with the newer higher flow style (99 and newer?)The radiator fan that came with the 96-98 cars had rubber louvers on both sides of the fan. The newer style they were just on one side and the fan is larger.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine 97 jumps all over the dial too. I changed the sensor but it is still happening. I suspect the gauge might be going bad or there is a bad connection somewhere between the gauge and the sensor.

My 98 moves slowly back and forth which it never used to do before. It also is running a bit hotter than it used to. I'm thinking the thermostat might be bad.

Both have new sensors, both have fresh coolant and are bled of all air.

OP
OP
Y

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys I guess mine is running the same as most. Hoosier Daddy:My radiator fan has not been replaced. Viper Spray:It's good to know our gauges are not the most accurate(that they are running cooler than what is showing) I guess I can live with it the way it is running now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_