Problems with PS pulley removal

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the Paxton was out of the way, doing mine in the car was a snap. The pulley was super tight though and it took (slowly) using a 1/2" air gun on my puller set to get the pulley off.

You should be able to leave the pump attached to the bracket to get the pulley off.

This the puller set I used (MST93 at the bottom of the page):

https://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2354&page=1&#

SHELBYVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are bumm'in me out!
I'm staring at a new Roe pulley just waitting to go on.
Good tips here but just so I have my shiopping list togehter:
Beer
Lubricant
(souunds good so far!)
puller
installer
Band-aids
whiskey.

got it!

Seem's like some of you guy's are trying to r&r the pulley with the pump still attatched in the engine bay. It is not that big of a issue to disconnect and remove the whole pump. My local NAPA store has a full machine shop. They charge me $10 to r&r the pulley while I wait. I have had four done so far with a fifth going on upon Dave's shipment. I have all four of the old plastic pulleys which were not damaged during removal. While you have the pump removed drain all of the old fluid out. Make's it quicker to flush the whole system after install. During reinstalling the pump you also have the option of re-routing the high pressure hose toward's the front of car. The factory routing has the hose on the back of the pump which place's it very close to the engine block saturating the hose with heat.
Just my.02 for those not wanting to try and locate a correct puller.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I certainly won't argue with the success of others doing it on the car, but the workbench/vise method just seemed too inviting. Somewhat influenced too by the fact I've got a mini-fridge out in the shop... :beer:

Edit...

It's coming back to me now. I had the puller arms squeezed in the vise. No way they were popping off the pulley hub.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I certainly won't argue with the success of others doing it on the car, but the workbench/vise method just seemed too inviting. Somewhat influenced too by the fact I've got a mini-fridge out in the shop... :beer:

Edit...

It's coming back to me now. I had the puller arms squeezed in the vise. No way they were popping off the pulley hub.

Oh, SO NOW you remember critical details of success.....:D I actually used the biggest damn adjustable wrench I had and held the arms with that. The jaws did not move.

Well I am off to build a hardwire cable for my radar detector, then make the template to build a new front plate mount for the G37 I just got. Need to do something easy. Damn cops in the burbs of Saint Louis are really coming down ******* no front plates. :crazy2: Figured out a way to mount the plate with no holes being drilled in the bumper. :2tu:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had been wondering if a hose clamp to hold the arms in place might help with an on-the-car removal process. Sounds like it would.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed mine out while the pump was still attached and it couldn't have been any easier.:smirk:

Maybe I'm just lucky.:dunno:

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to try it in the car, some of the guys said they had no problem. If I start to fight it I like SHELBYVIPER's idea, pull the pump, take it to the shop, press the pully off, flush the system, and re rout the hose. No blood, no sweat, no tears, and you can still drink!

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well restarted the project. Took the pump out and started to work on getting the plastic pulley off. Used small sharp point punch and chisel. Once I got some material off it was easy to remove. I basically only used the small sharp point punch as the plastic is very brittle and came off in chunks. Had to remove about 2/3rds of the circumference of the pulley and then it fell off. Care and patience is required, plus some safety glasses.

Then I used the OEM puller (Dave666 pic) I purchased since the loaners from the auto store would not fit. Used the vice to hold the jaws and other than the loud pop it came off pretty easy. Oh, was told the OEM puller shown is discontinued. I got the last one at AutoZone near me.

Now of course I am ready to install. Well took a close look at the loaned set of tools and the prior user bent the bolt for the installer and he had galled the threads. So bad that I can't even get my thread chaser started. I think I will ask auto zone if they ever look at what is returned to them. So not finished yet as I have to drive around and get good tools. Of course since I don't keep PS fluid around need to get some anyway. Manual says PS fluid ONLY no ATF.

Now that I am to this point, I would likely recommend pulling the pump when you have ANY problem getting the pulley puller to fit. Its just not that much more work. And you can orient the parts better. It would be easier to leave it in, but I guess when I realized the puller was not going to fit, I should have just pulled the pump then and then tried to use the puller I bought.

Of course now I can clean up the front end of the Viper where I could not reach with the Pump installed.

Will take a few pics of the parts, etc once complete. I just hope the "hard" part is over.:D

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperBite:

Putting the new pulley on takes a bit of effort also. Make sure you don't push it on too far as not to line up properly with your belt. If you do, you will need to put washers behind your bracket to bring it back out even with the belt. Also a problem I had was I disconnected the black plastic P/S resavoir from the main body. When I put in back in I put a new O ring back on. Well it leaked. I ended up taking it back off and put the original O ring back on and it was alright from there. Apparently I thought I had the right O ring but it must have been metric or something. Good Luck!

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's because your car is red. They are fastest and easiest to work on... :cool:

This must be true. Just did mine yesterday, with the Autozone puller. I did have to force the puller onto the pulley, but otherwise the project was a breeze. And I didn't even have any beer!

Not to be condescending, but after hearing all the horror stories about this replacement, I'm glad I got off so easy. And to all those having problems: you should've bought a red car!:rolaugh:

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading this thread, I'm glad I had my Viper Tech install Dave's bracket and pulley. Even he had to cut my OEM pulley off. Money well spent.:rolaugh:

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WooHoo, done. Once I got a new set of rental tools the install went smooth as butta. :2tu::2tu::2tu:

I attached a pic of the nasty pulley that caused me grief. Have not decided what to do with it. Maybe grind it up and send it to the bean counters.

Now just have to re-check the fluid level. :D And have me a few more beers and watch some football....

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    pulley.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 34

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just removed the pump and pulley. what a pita! Pulley didn't want to come of so Dremel was the way to go.

Tomorrow I want to install my new Roe pulley, but can anyone tell me the type of Thread is on the pump??

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just removed the pump and pulley. what a pita! Pulley didn't want to come of so Dremel was the way to go.

Tomorrow I want to install my new Roe pulley, but can anyone tell me the type of Thread is on the pump??

Type of thread that is on the PS pump? No thread, it is a pressed on pulley. If you have something that resembles a thread you need to pull it off. The OEM pulley had a metal portion in the middle of it.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nutkees - I'm sure you are referring to the pump shaft's internal threads which are used to pull the new pulley on. They are M10x1.50.

I bought on Ebay a used Matco MST93 pulley remover & installer kit and used the "easy method" leaving the pump on. Took all of 45 minutes for both the pump and the bracket but the radiator was out for repair so perhaps that helped a bit. The pulley came off and went back on perfectly and without breakage.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know about the Advance Auto Part one but the Autozone puller I borrowed unfortunately wouldn't fit the pulley properly.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..... and used the "easy method" leaving the pump on. Took all of 45 minutes for both the pump and the bracket but the radiator was out for repair so perhaps that helped a bit. The pulley came off and went back on perfectly and without breakage.

good info ron, thanks :2tu:

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys, indeed needed to know the thread used for a pulley installation tool.

Could not find on @ autostores here in the Netherlands, so I used a 10.8 bolt and custom adapterring to press the pulley on. Went on like butter!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang