Procedure for chaning rear brake pads '02 FE

vipertime3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Procedure for chaning rear brake pads \'02 FE

Help Please. I need to know the procedure and any special tools needed to retract the caliper pistons on the rear brakes on my 2002 FE (ABS car). As I understand it, I need a special tool as the needle-nose plier approach won't work on the ABS cars.

Help, detailed how-to pics greatly appreciated.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Procedure for chaning rear brake pads \'02 FE

There was a large post about this (including that you do not have to remove the rear caliper to change the rear rotor) in the last two weeks.

OP
OP
V

vipertime3

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I did a search and didn't come up with any threads that include the procedure/tools. . .

Help please.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

I see that you do not list an e-mail address...too bad. Feel free to e-mail me for some pointers.

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't believe what you hear!!!!! You probably have ABS..You will need that "special tool" Try this

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7ESpecialty+%28Tools%29%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EGreat+Neck++++++++++++++++++++++++++Disc+Brake+Caliper+Tool%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E298604%7C%7E2707%7C%7E27111%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E%2435.00%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E3.9%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EB%7C%7EGRN%7C%7Etrue

When I changed my pads on the rear, I was told how "easy" it was. It's not you have to have this tool or If you get the little block piston retrackting tool and modify it to fit the slots in the pistons. It's a 2 man job to do this. The link above gives you the kit you need, if you have the same brakes as me. Others didn't believe it till they saw it!!

Good Luck,
Todd

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

02ViperTodd...if the car doesn't have ABS, will it still need that tool? Someone posted a step-by-step process with pictures and all he used was a tin "pin-poker" and mallet.

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I just used a pair of needle nose pliers. Put the tips of the pliers in the 2 holes and then turn as you push them back in. Is ABS different?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

ABS Gen II 's are a little more difficult...AND, one MUST line the "notches" on the piston up with the "boss" on the caliper to avoid problems. One also needs to know proper torque specs on the bolts.

As an aside, we all know that one can improvise tools to do most jobs...that said, I have seen folks damage the dust boots and score the pistons using needle nose pliers...especially is the rear pistons are "tight".

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"... and a mallet?"

The non-ABS pistons have to be screwed in (Righty tighty inny, lefty loosey outy.) Pardon my spelling. No wonder I see cores come in with the piston tops dented.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Jerry, I faxed you 8 pages of instructions from the 2001 (same as 2002) Service Manual...showing drawings, torque specs, socket sizes (that's why I used my 2001 manual instead of the 2002), and the "tool" mentioned above. I think that you will find that it is a straight forward procedure...though more complex than a Gen I or non-ABS Gen II Viper.

If you need more, you have my number. Good luck, Bro.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The pictures don't show screwing in the piston. In image #23/29, stubby needle nose pliers, one tip in each of the dimples, should let you rotate clockwise. Within 2-3 turns it should be completely retracted.

OP
OP
V

vipertime3

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Steve-Indy, Thanks for the fax. I appreciate your assistance. . .and everyone else's. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you don't have the "demples" but the triangular indentations..You WILL need a different tool than the needle nose plyers..
Todd