Pros and Cons For Running No Cats On A 02 Viper?

PJS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys, taking the Viper to the shop tommorrow to get the Borlas installed and the EBC greens on my new 2002 Yellow Viper.

What are the pros and cons on just removing the coverters and running just the Borlas? Any horse power loss/gain since there will be reduced back pressure?

Also any problems witht eh service engine light in doing that or the computer?

Thanks for any info.

S

SUN RA KAT

First, it's illegal as heck - Federal Laws violated here.

Second, ultra high flow cats like Random Tech, Sean Roe, just to name a few only cost 1 (one) measley horsepower and no check engine lights come on. If you want a loud exhaust, the ultra high flow cats will give it to you.

Third, there was a thread here a short while ago about the Viper RT-10 & GTS '01's & 02's in Viper Race Yellow got the stronger engines for those 2 years, so 1 horsepower loss will still make you faster than the rest of the Vipers.

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete, drop me a line when you are done or if you finish up late come by the house if you can Tues. after the install. Want to see how you made out. I should be home by 6.

Keep the cats. Don't want the snake to start stinking...

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the church group above for N/A vipers.If your using NOS i'd lose em,the massive quanity of unburned gas used to make HP and keep the air/fuel mix rich can soak into the converter and start a fire.Super tuners are working on the check engine light fix for the 01,02 cars.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats means loud exhaust,cool side sills,doesn't smell any different,Must get and nstall apex or other syms to tell computer that the cats are still there and it will run just fine with no lights. Bruce

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lose the cats. I dont know differences with respect to this between 00 and newer cars, but my 00 GTS has rear simms from Apex and no cats. Get no funny smell, sounds incredible, side sills are ambient temp and cabin doesnt heat up as much. Great mod for the $$$.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats can mean flames out the back (yeeehaw!), EPA issues if you are sniffed (yeah you can put them back on but that becomes a pita), more noise / music issues). Don't think there is any REAL noticeable difference in power gains.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine light issue on the later model cars running high flow cats is a problem. The cars seem to through the catalyst light even when you do run the high flow units. The best fix (besides simulators) is a set of 02's that have more holes in them. These are readily available and seem to fix the problem.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys, taking the Viper to the shop tommorrow to get the Borlas installed and the EBC greens on my new 2002 Yellow Viper.<P>What are the pros and cons on just removing the coverters and running just the Borlas? Any horse power loss/gain since there will be reduced back pressure?<P>Also any problems witht eh service engine light in doing that or the computer?<P>Thanks for any info.<P>
I have the borlas and no cats and I tell you it's sweet, if you want a sound clip let me know, and I'll forward you a link to a video of me cruising and nailing it :D Like everyone said, the syms are a must have. You can get the bypass pipes along with the syms from Sean Roe :2tu:

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1st I did smooth tubes and filters. Bit Hp gain, but not much.
Then I installed B&B cat back. Noticable gain!
Then I took out my cats, again noticable improvement!
I love the smell of raw gas, it reminds me of the track.
The flames out the tail pipes are cool too.
But the sound is awesome!!!
Not for the shy type though. Everyone will know your coming!

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the borlas and no cats and I tell you it's sweet, if you want a sound clip let me know, and I'll forward you a link to a video of me cruising and nailing it :D Like everyone said, the syms are a must have. You can get the bypass pipes along with the syms from Sean Roe :2tu:
Moundir is probably the main reason why I want the Borla/Mopar exhaust with no cats. I've heard them in real life, and they rumble like all hell but never at full throttle. Heard his vids with him flooring it and made my decision :headbang:

Plus, how about that one guy (think in a Prelude?) in one of your vids, who said something like that was the meanest, best sounding Viper I ever heard.

Mind sending that link for the video to me also, I might not have "heard" that one :D

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys, taking the Viper to the shop tommorrow to get the Borlas installed and the EBC greens on my new 2002 Yellow Viper.<P>What are the pros and cons on just removing the coverters and running just the Borlas? Any horse power loss/gain since there will be reduced back pressure?<P>Also any problems witht eh service engine light in doing that or the computer?<P>Thanks for any info.<P>

Post the sound clip!

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How often do flames, or when do flames come out of the tailpipes on no cat setups? What does a no cat/no muffler setup sound like?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte