Prospective SRTC - Ownership questions

granto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post here, but I've been lurking off and on for awhile. Before I say anything else though, I really want to thank everyone here for having this excellent forum for Viper owners on the web. It's nice seeing a well maintained forum with many helpful posters!

I've been on the fence for getting the new '06 First Edition coupe and have been trying to collect as much information to help me make my decision. Part of this has been taking a Skip Barber class (with the Viper autocross session) and also renting a GTS while in Vegas (the SRT was not available) a few days ago to see how it performs in daily driving. The goal isn't to have a SRT vs GTS discussion, but driving both in different situations has given me a number of specific questions that I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer.

<font color="blue"> Questions: </font>

- Foot rest. I noticed in the GTS that there was no place to 'rest' my left foot. Is this the case with the SRT as well? I honestly don't recall if this was the case in the SRT (due to being in race conditions and not noticing/caring), but this setup in the GTS got uncomfortable real fast in daily driving. I don't like putting my foot on the ground because I like to have quick access to the clutch, so I was wondering if this is the same with the SRT? The pics I have seen don't seem to indicate so.. although this is probably something I can get used to.

- Wet conditions. I'm actually the type of guy that likes to drive rain or shine - and boy is it cold and wet here in Seattle. We all know friction is reduced when it gets wet, but how badly does the handling realistically suffer in the Viper in these conditions? I don't drive like a maniac, am driver aware and know car/road dynamics pretty well, but the idea of sudden spins still isn't a nice one. I'll simply assume snow is a big no-no.

- Turn radius / parking. While renting the GTS, I took it to a number of crowded lots and tried to park it with mixed results. Although I do know it's not a small car, I felt that the turning radius was surprisingly wide. Does anyone feel the same way and if so - is this an issue with the SRT as well? Does anyone have difficulty with parallel parking?

- Heat. I noticed it was starting to cook a little in the GTS even with the windows down after about an hour of regular driving. 8.0L engine and all, so I'm not surprised. It wasn't bad, but does it ever get uncomfortably hot?

- Safety. A bit of a funny issue for this type of car I know, but I will not always be the only one riding in this car. I don't believe they crash test Vipers, so I don't have much to go on other than ancedotal evidence. I would imagine that there is a stiff structure to the snake, both for handling and the track oriented nature of the car, but I have not the foggiest on how well it would hold up to a side impact past having side airbags, etc. I wish I was macho enough to say I could always zip out of harms way, but the one time I've ever got bit was when I was parked in a single lane and got smashed from the back. Sometimes it's just your turn.

- Your thoughts. For the daily drivers or those who put miles on your Viper, what do you like best about the car- ride, looks, handling, all of the above, etc? How about the things that bug you the most- visibility, seats, gas, etc?

I know these might seem like small or knit-pick issues, but I'm already a devout believer in the performance and styling of the Viper. If I were only to take it out once in awhile for a spin, none of these above would even be a thought. Blasting the SRT around the autocross course was really an unbelievable experience... However, I really like to drive, so reality is that I would be taking it out on regular excursions that the small things may start to wear on me.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for all your help!

Grant

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grant,
I have owned a 03 SRT10 for 7 months now so you will get a fresh perspective, here goes.

My 03 has an adjustable foot rest for your left foot. I use it all the time and like it.

I try not to drive in the rain but when I do I take it easy for very obvious reasons.

I think the turning radius is a little wider than I would like, so I think twice about U turns in tight conditions or when there is a curb to deal with. Parking seems OK to me but I like wide slots so you don't get your doors dinged. Unless you are a parallel parking expert and never make a mistake, parallel parking is a big no no due to curb rash on your right wheels. The rim hits rather than the tire like on your SUV.

Heat is a big issue, particularly here in south FL. If it is over about 80F I run the AC. With the top down the engine heat gets sucked into the cockpit so again the AC takes care of it. When it is say 70F or less all that engine and exhaust system heat feels nice. Many owners go with aftermarket exhausts to eliminate the cross-over system and say it helps lower the heat. There seems to varying opinions on how much it helps, but appartntly it does help.

As far as side impact, I don't have a clue and hope I don't find out. I just figure I can get out of the way if I see him coming!

One thing that bugs me is poor rear visibility when backing up but maybe that is my problem since I am not 6'. Would like verticle adjustment for the seat.

Overall, I love the car. It is fun/exciting to drive, has unique styling and great performance, and gets a lot of looks, waves , and thumbs up.

Go for it!!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
- Foot rest.
I know the SRT/10 has a dead pedal and I sure the coupe does as well, but to me it feels to cramped in the foot well. I’m used to setting my foot flat on the floor between shifts in the GTS. I’m searching for an SRT/10 and I feel I’ll want to remove or modify the dead pedal. But I’ll try to get used to it before I do. My 2 cents.
Good luck on the Coupe, I hope to have one in the future.

mikescg

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i just got my 05 srt10 this month and have logged just over 500 miles, the footrest is in odd place but i haven't adjusted it yet, i am 6'3" 285 lbs and have the fixed 2" lowering kit for the seat and i am quite comfortable

as for heat, i think it will be an issue and i will be changing to high flow cats with the corsa track system before spring, this week i was driving around in 24 degree weather with the heater off and the window cracked open, and was quite comfortable from the engine and exhaust heat alone

turning radius is a bit wide but i have gotten used to it,

wet weather traction is questionable at best, proceed with caution,

these are only my opinions, but i have owned a bunch of other high performance machines and this car is awesome, it brings a smile to my face every time i start it up........

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grant,Since I've had my SRT Coupe for a little over three months now,I'll try answering your questions.
(1)foot rest/dead pedal-yes there is one,nicely adjustable at that.Unless you're fairly tall(as in over 6'1") and/or have large feet,you should be able to get it into a comfortable resting spot for your left foot.

(2)Driving in rain-have done it in both my previous Viper and the coupe-not a huge problem,IF you remember to be a little less eager with the throttle.Depending on what year GTS you drove,it may or may not have had ABS,which the SRT10 has.This can help a lot with braking-induced spins in the wet.

(3)Turning radius-a bit larger than one might wish for,but not a big problem,and pretty typical for a car this size.

(4)Safety-hope neither of us has to find out first hand,but in most crashes involving SRT10 verts,the cockpit area seems to hold up quite well,and this should also be true of the coupe.

(5)Heat-the exhaust crossover in the factory exhaust makes a very efficient seat heater.Most who have tried it say that putting on a set of Corsa Tracks,Borlas,or something similar which eliminates the crossover helps a lot with the cockpit heat issue.

General impressions-some of this you already should know from the autocross experience;steering is very quick,precise and responsive.Feedback from the steering and suspension is first-rate-you can feel exactly what the car is doing.Braking performance is as good as it gets in a street car.Handling can be further improved with a mild track alignment and about a 4-5lb.increase in front tire pressure(gets rid of some of the understeer and makes the car a bit more neutral in its handling characteristics.)Seats are excellent for me,but could be a bit tight for a taller or bulkier driver.There is less headroom in the coupe than in the vert;shouldn't be a problem if you're not over 6'1" or 6'2".Visibility is NOT as good in the coupe as in the vert,especially to the sides and rear-it is critical that you adjust the side mirrors properly and use them!The footwell is narrow,but pedal placement is excellent for heel-and-toe downshifting.Some find the suspension a bit harsh for daily driving;I don't find that to be a problem,but if you do,there are aftermarket shocks available which improve the ride a bit.The whole ia a real "driver's car"which rewards skill and punishes stupidity,sloppiness,and/or inattention-if not handled with common sense and respect,it can and will bite you.Hope this helps.

OP
OP
G

granto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the replies guys. A lot of the information I'm getting seems to be in-step with what I imagined it would be, but I'm glad to hear that none of the issues were thought of as critical. Honestly, I was most worried about the foot pedal, as that's the only thing that is a 'drive' issue for me vs a comfort issue.

All things considered, I'm really leaning toward a Viper now and will probably change out the stock crossovers for an aftermarket like everyone says.

Again, thanks for all the help guys. Appreciate it and hope to see you all on here in the next month or so if all goes according to plan :)

Grant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang