Purchase Advice?

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My former Viper was a 96 RT/10 with 3:55s that Marv Rose is selling now in our classifieds. I moved to an 04 C5 Coupe, but am thinking about coming back.
I'm bidding on a 2000 RT/10 since it is more affordable than a 2003 SRT. I tend to drive around 1200 miles per month, and use my car as my daily driver, despite the fact that I haven an S8 Audi for that purpose.

I've been reading that the 2000 year is a "creampuff" year, with less power than my old 96, that the cast pistons are no good, that I should get an 01 with ABS. On the other hand, the fact that the 2000 year is "soft" seems to make them a good purchase.

What recalls were they subject to (still have problems with head gaskets or frames??) and should I steer clear of the 2000 or go with it.

I can also buy my 96 back from Marv, for a bit more money, to cover his costs and carry, but figured that a 2000 would be better because it's newer, has electric windows, and perhaps the hard top can be stored in the trunk???

All advice appreciated.

Larry :usa: :2tu:

I'm posting under a new name, but used to be 96 Black RT/10.

Thanks for your help.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HArdtop cannot be stored in Trunk.

but a fuel cell fits nicely in there! :headbang:

I am no expert, but the pistons only make a diff. if you are going to supercharge.

Andy

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't care about the ABS and the cast pistons, then the 2000's are a good buy. There's lots of good deals on Gen II's right now, so shop around before you commit. :usa: :usa:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan on driving the car 1200 miles per month, get atleast an 01/02. They will have ABS. For me, the extra power the early Gen 2 cars had does not outweight having anti-lock brakes.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 2000's are the hardest to sell, so maybe you can get the best deal on one of these. Yes they are considered creampuffs but still have more power than your 96. My 2000 GTS dynoed at 414hp, with intake and cat back. I would spend a little extra and get a 2001 just for the ABS.

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any info on recall campaigns for 2000 model?

Any downsides other than the milder cams that Maurice Liang talks about in his book, which apparently smooth out the idle at the expense of feel, and acceleration. I'm not worried about power if it's up from my 96. That was plenty for me to handle, and I preferred the feel of the 96 to the 2003 that I drove at Skip Barber's Viper Class, for the streets.

I'm seeing prices on the 2000 year in the low 40s.

What is a bargain??