Purge Harness Needed But Mopar Mixed up the Number

Bill W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine light comes on and code reader shows small emissions leak. I take it to the dealer and they run a smoke test. Test shows the purge valve and hose need to be replaced. I got the purge valve via Rock Auto. The part number for the hose is 4763804AD. Found one on eBay and they sent the wrong hose. The hose has a plastic tag from Mopar attached to it with 4763804AD on the tag. I contacted eBay and the seller says they got the hose directly from Mopar. Can someone help me find out how to get the purge hose I need? If Mopar is ******** up the number I feel lost at this point. The hose I need is number 1 on the Mopar parts manual.

Attachments

• IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 12
  • My Parts Catalog.jpg
    My Parts Catalog.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 12

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Where is your hose broken? For what it's worth, mine snapped right near the valve because I forgot to unclip it from the strut tower brace before I removed it when I was doing some work on my engine years ago. I just put some rubber hose on it with some clamps to bridge the break and I've never had a code or problem since. Just saying you might be able to patch the one you have instead of replacing it. I know that doesn't help with the part number problem, but could at least get you back on the road. There's always a chance that just that one hose you got was mistagged too. You might try your local dealer and see if they would order the part in for you to look at to see if it's the right one before you actually buy it.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, it looks like the assembly they sent was the one between the throttle bodies. Is the leaking hose under the headlight - and what year is your car? The hoses changed slightly for '98-'99.

I recently had tank pressure buildup in my '96. I found that my purge valve was plugged with grains of activated charcoal which had come loose from the canister just below the valve. I replaced both myself for about $100. I believe that in 2000, they moved the canister to the PS rear across from the battery and went to a rectangular filter instead of the cylindrical used on the earlier cars. The purge valve is still under the headlight and appears to be the same one used on the Gen 3 located inside the engine compartment by the driver's headlamp.

Attachments

• Evap system.jpg
    Evap system.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 10
  • purge solenoid and canister.jpg
    purge solenoid and canister.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230419_190308 (2).jpg
    20230419_190308 (2).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Dorman Evap 96 Viper.jpg
    Dorman Evap 96 Viper.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Bill W

Bill W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the car to the dealer and am reporting what they told me. I know they said they have to remove the front end to fix it. I have the purge valve but can't get the hose. The part number should be 4763767AD but I can't find it.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where EXACTLY was the leak? Is the plastic line melted (mine is - partially), kinked, or broken? Has it just been pulled out of the rubber elbow at one end, or the other? They probably have several rolls of PCV hose of various diameters in bulk in the parts department. It isn't like every single hose in the car is molded, or can't be suitably replicated by bulk hose and plastic elbows, or with nylon air brake tubing and a heat gun. Come on folks - it's a car.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets