Purner wheels, Stoptech brakes and Sebring

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not even the same car anymore! The Purner (904)-437-7822 setup grabs like it's on a rail, virtually no push, and I didn't lock the Stoptechs once! The Porsche pads lasted the day. Good news for me, as some of you may recall my previous post when I welded the pads to the pistons! However my day ended halfway through the afternoon because of air in the brakelines. How does that happen anyway? Looks like I'm still seeking a better brake cooling setup. Is anyone using Archers brake cooling setup?

More pics and video to come. For now click here.

You must be registered for see images

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice pics.... jeeez..... in that one picture with you and the GT3.... looks like your at the limit.... and the GT3 is on a sunday cruise! maybe he was done with that turn or something....

let me know when the vids are up...

Brooks

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FikseGTS:

looks like your at the limit.... and the GT3 is on a sunday cruise!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I knew somebody would notice something like that. Fact is, in the pic it is being driven by the pro's wife and let's just say she was no Viperbrat(Judy). I lapped her twice. But when the pro was driving he was all over everyone's butt. I think he said the car weighed 2400lbs. Lotsa fun.

Ernie J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,
The air in your brake lines is caused by the fluid boiling.
You must have been at the Safe Motorsports event.I'm surprised
you had a problem boiling fluid. The sebring long course,which
you ran, is easy on brakes. What kind of fluid are you using.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ernie J:
The sebring long course,which
you ran, is easy on brakes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've heard the opposite. I beginning to think that a course only as ******* the brakes as the driver.

Yep, Safe Motorsports. Motul600.

Good times!

Ernie J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,
It certainly isn't the brake fluid. Motul is the best.
I had the same problem with my Viper several years ago
when I was doing the Safe Motorsports events. Sean Roe
solved the problem with titanium pistons in the stock
calipers and a proportioning valve to give the car a lot
more rear brake. Cost less than 500.00 dollars and I
never had fluid boil again.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've already upgraded to Stoptech. I'm looking for a good brake cooling solution. Archer's looks like it should work well. What are the rest of you using???

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chuck,
Just a suggestion here. If you're getting the brake fluid to boil with the StopTech upgrade on the car AND running Motul 600, you should call StopTech directly.
For what it's worth, Ernie is right about the long course being easier on brakes. Lots of long straights to cool them. The short course is tough on brakes and you'll want to get them working properly (not boiling fluid) before you run a Safe event there.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chuck........Glad you had a great track day at Sebring...My favorite track for a lot of reasons. Thanks for posting so much of your great day! Thankfully, StopTech is always ready, like a personal pit crew, to help you with concerns: pad choices, cooling, rotor choice, etc. They are a top-notch support team.

The 12-hour teams there had a LOT of brake problems. Huge problems in fact. So braking can be difficult there, especially for an 'admitted' (confessed?!) driver with brake techniqes like yours, who literally incinerated the OEM brakes.

And air can certainly get in the lines with an incomplete bleed, even with an excellent fluid choice like Motul - 600. Talk to Bob Lee at StopTech, as Sean suggested......

With all due respect to Sean and ErnieJ, I am NOT a fan of Titanium pistons as the initial step to solve cooling issues. Why? They simply disguise and ignore heat sources. The heat still occurs! Where does it GO? Elsewhere! Seals get destroyed, dust boots, etc. Stop/cool the heat....not the transferrance.

You must first reduce the heat at the SOURCE: rotor/pad interface. Ti pistons to not do this. They just stop a lot of the heat transferance to the backing plate, and the fluid. (You could install Ti-foil backing plates for about $80....not $500.)

Add cooling ducts, deflectors; wheel-well skirts (Sean has em?) extract air. Do you have a pyrometer to take rotor/caliper/tire temps. You certainly need one at your advancing levels! Once we know your heat range, lap speeds/times....and maximize external cooling...then look to costly Titanium pistons.

Again, THANKS for the great photos !

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be fair JonB the stock brake pads lasted for more than three events. It was the EBC Reds that couldn't last one day. It's a moot point now that I have the Stoptechs which work great! The Porsche pads (Brakeman 3 ???) would have lasted the whole day if I would have had fresh fluid. It was an awesome ride! I also have Sean Roe's deflectors.

Now who's gonna answer the duct cooling situation???

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, do you have Porsche air deflectors on your car?? We use them in combination with Stoptech 13" stock replacement rotors, Brakeman #3 pads, SS lines, Titanium pistons, and Castrol SRF with the stock calipers on the fronts of both of our cars. We run in the Super Stock class in Viper Days. We have never had a brake fluid boiling problems with this setup.

We are anal about bleeding fluid after each track event, probably to the point where we are wasting some brake fluid. In the overall scheme of things clean, fresh brake fluid is cheap insurance, even when the fluid is SRF...

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to chime in on the clean brake fluid issue. I have the 'standard' 13 inch Stoptech two piece rotors and 4 piston calipers. I'm using Axis Ultimate pads and Motul 600. After about 1000 street miles and one track day, the brake fluid was 'dirty' enough that I had to pump about half a liter through the system to clean it out.

I ran two pretty hard 20 minute sessions at PIR on a 75 degree day and experienced very little fade. I'd like a bit more agressive pad, but the brakes were quite comfortable compared to stock.

Jim