My 08 ACR to ACRX Conversion

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love it!! What a fun and im sure stressful project at times. There is something about building your own that you just cann't get if you purchase off the line. Thanks for posting all the pictures! Great info!:2tu: Love the brake ducts!!

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, your way ahead of me at this point! :omg: Your making my ******** thread look softcore for now! Nice work and I feel better knowing there is someone else out there going to the extent that I am. Nice photos, keep em comming! :eater:

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to finish one small item per day after work, some progress from last night.

Footwell Plate Bent and installed, just needs to be cleaned up

You must be registered for see images attach

Door brace on drivers side

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know what the wheel hub torque is? Not the wheel side but the four bolts on the back to hold the assembly on?

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update from last two days. I finished the bracket for the differential cooler, mounted it and started to prep the diff for the pump and lines. The pump is due in FedEx after 3 months of backorder :(

I also changed the brake lines as the stainless steel lines I had will not allow the fitment of the brake ducts in the front. I ordered the new ones from Tom Francis to insure that they would fit with the brake ducts. The appear to be a normal kit from Goodrich.

Anyway, pics of the progress

Detailed pictures of the Brake cooling spindle duct and flex tube

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, Tim, helluva project on your hands there. Looks like it's coming along well! Miss seeing that yeller Cobra flying down the track!

Ken

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing, but I have to think that for all the $$$ you spent tearing down the old car and building up the new one, you could have bought an "X" and had $$ left over for the Michelin tires.
Of course I could be way off on the $.

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been mentioned a couple of times. Like I have said, I will have everything that is on the X with the exception of the 10 wing and the controller tune for the X.

I will be roughly $25K less into this than buying an X with paint.

The biggest difference is the $25-30K I would have lost trading my car in from its original purchase price. I have receipts and a spread sheet that I have been keeping record of from before I decided the start of the project.

Total investment so far has been $125,000 including the original purchase price of the car. The is the exact same as an X with paint. Now figure I would have lost $25K - 30K from when I originally purchased the car and the math doesn't lie :)

I am definitely on the better end financially than an X. I have a car that can still be insured (although nothing I will do will be covered) under my normal auto insurance policy, it is still streetable and can and is registered.

I still have some stock parts that have not even sold yet so it will only get better not worse. I also have the satisfaction of doing a cool project in my garage :D

Amazing, but I have to think that for all the $$$ you spent tearing down the old car and building up the new one, you could have bought an "X" and had $$ left over for the Michelin tires.
Of course I could be way off on the $.

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ken, it is and happy as always with another project. I have a picture of the Cobra on the wall in the garage, think about it a lot. It was a great car!

Wow, Tim, helluva project on your hands there. Looks like it's coming along well! Miss seeing that yeller Cobra flying down the track!

Ken

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, there will also be two lengths of metal strap that will go under the main caliper bolts and attach to the hose clamp that will be installed on the flex hose to brack duct connection. As soon as I install these I will take more pictures. The duct is kind of wedged in so it can't move a lot.

Do the brake ducts attach to the calipers with a 2 screws?

Bruce

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I am hoping to secure a set tomorrow. I will keep watching and great work by the way.

Bruce

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those brake ducts are awesome and are what I have been looking for for a LONG TIME. Please post all the info you can regarding those things.

Thank you!!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dunno what Tim means about his driving skills...... I personally saw him on a strange track to him (Portland), at a Porsche-Club HPDE day. My new ACR was only 250 miles at the time, so he only got some slow break-in laps with me. He got bored and paid to take his RENTAL SUBURBAN and 3 passengers for hot laps! He was keeping up with most of the BMWs out there..... *********, and IMPRESSIVE!

Saw him at VIR in the Red Group, I think he is cup-worthy.

In another coincidence: I was gonna take the NARRA pace car to the hotel at VIR, so I looked for its licensing papers. The registration / delivery paperwork in the NARRA Dodge Challanger Pace Car was actually made out to: TIM !! He's 'connected' somehow....

Glad I could play a role in your awesome project Tim, and THANKS.

JonB ~~~~~:<~

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wow....amazing build....gotta ask one question though.....you're doing all that and you're worried about the cost of the tires? :D

Tires are 'endless consumables' and the the spec Dodge Viper Cup Michelin slicks are wwaaaaaay more co$tly at $2000/set than Sport Cups or Hoosiers....

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those brake ducts are awesome and are what I have been looking for for a LONG TIME. Please post all the info you can regarding those things.

Thank you!!!

Vipair sells repops of the original comp coupe ones like are in the picture at a much cheaper price.

Vipair is GTSR-001 on the forums.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does that require cutting the bumper cover? I'm having a hard time visualizing it on the car.

The APR splitter is definitely bigger than the ACR ******** splitter, but it is thinner and less rigid.

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you will have to cut the front bumper. Please see the first page of this thread I have photos of the front end.

Does that require cutting the bumper cover? I'm having a hard time visualizing it on the car.

The APR splitter is definitely bigger than the ACR ******** splitter, but it is thinner and less rigid.

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The suburban was actually pretty fun, I don't think the Vette in from of me liked me coming up behind him in the braking zones :)

I didn't mean to get so close to you in the hotpits when drifting the suburban, I saw you fall over a wall and couldn't help but feel a little responsible. :D j/k of course.

Thanks for all of the help Jon!

I dunno what Tim means about his driving skills...... I personally saw him on a strange track to him (Portland), at a Porsche-Club HPDE day. My new ACR was only 250 miles at the time, so he only got some slow break-in laps with me. He got bored and paid to take his RENTAL SUBURBAN and 3 passengers for hot laps! He was keeping up with most of the BMWs out there..... *********, and IMPRESSIVE!

Saw him at VIR in the Red Group, I think he is cup-worthy.

In another coincidence: I was gonna take the NARRA pace car to the hotel at VIR, so I looked for its licensing papers. The registration / delivery paperwork in the NARRA Dodge Challanger Pace Car was actually made out to: TIM !! He's 'connected' somehow....

Glad I could play a role in your awesome project Tim, and THANKS.

JonB ~~~~~:<~

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The biggest difference is the $25-30K I would have lost trading my car in from its original purchase price.
I have a car that can still be insured (although nothing I will do will be covered) under my normal auto insurance policy, it is still streetable and can and is registered.

This -- good job keeping reality in check. Looks like a fantastic build... very jealous, but also looking forward to seeing your end result!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth