My 08 ACR to ACRX Conversion

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worked most of the weekend on the car. Got a lot done but not a lot of pictures. Here is the Diff cooler and pump. I still have to wire it and make one more line.

You must be registered for see images attach

I finished up the front fender liners and stainless brake lines as well as installed the adjustable sway bar links in the front.

I also rewired some of the dash wiring to reduce the extra wires that are unused. Before reinstalling the dash I also mounted the fire suppression and the fan for the defroster.

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
took a few miscellaneous shots as well

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I know what you were doing while I was at MSR this weekend! That thing is going scream. Looking good.:2tu:

Now about the catch can system?:)

See you next weekend.

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well let's see some vid of MSR :) Yep I was busy at it this weekend. I need this thing done!! I am ready to hit the track. Catch can is easy, let me know.

Now I know what you were doing while I was at MSR this weekend! That thing is going scream. Looking good.:2tu:

Now about the catch can system?:)

See you next weekend.

Thanks Tiago

awesome Tim.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, what an awesome build. You may want to consider changing the control arms over to Mono-balls and race type ball joints. Solid steering rack bushings will help too.

Good luck!

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dan, I will be upgrading to the mono-ball and race ball joints later this season or at the end of the season. I may do the steering rack bushings now.

Wow, what an awesome build. You may want to consider changing the control arms over to Mono-balls and race type ball joints. Solid steering rack bushings will help too.

Good luck!

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well let's see some vid of MSR :) Yep I was busy at it this weekend. I need this thing done!! I am ready to hit the track. Catch can is easy, let me know.

My camera crapped out on me Saturday morning but my traqmate data is still useful. I'd be interested to compare some data to your laps. I ran Sunday on R6s after my PSCs went greasy on me to end Saturday. I'm afraid I can't go back! As soon as we get you up and running I'm ready to fab up a system. I know a few other track regulars that are very interested in what we come up with. Every time I plant the breaks I wonder how much oil is getting into the airbox.

It's nice to see most of those parts off of the garage floor and on the car!:D

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Looks awesome Tim. I imagine you will be wicked fast with that dedicated track weapon you are building.:2tu:

I would also be interested to see what ya'll come up with for a catch can system.

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Working on a parts list now. I'll let all the local track rats know when Mike and I get the pricing and parts list done.

It will most likely be something you can place through a major performance parts supplier.

Looks awesome Tim. I imagine you will be wicked fast with that dedicated track weapon you are building.:2tu:

I would also be interested to see what ya'll come up with for a catch can system.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tim I am so glad you are going to go wheel to wheel and this project looks great. The racing as you know will be expensive but man there will be many cars in your mirror. I know, as I have been on the track with you, and you have some great talent. Go get em Tim. Mark

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark!

Hey Tim I am so glad you are going to go wheel to wheel and this project looks great. The racing as you know will be expensive but man there will be many cars in your mirror. I know, as I have been on the track with you, and you have some great talent. Go get em Tim. Mark

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pictures coming soon but I will now have a 2010 ACR Wing! Jon B could not stand that I was not fully completing my project so he made me a deal I could not refuse!!!

Jon is the MAN! I will update the pics as soon as possible. Hopefully I will be done this weekend

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pictures coming soon but I will now have a 2010 ACR Wing! Jon B could not stand that I was not fully completing my project so he made me a deal I could not refuse!!!

Jon is the MAN! I will update the pics as soon as possible. Hopefully I will be done this weekend

LOL!

nice :D

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow----how about a salvaged 08 to build up and keep that perfect acr?? Im sure you weighted your options but damn that looked like a perfect car...lol

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My god. . . your car is amazing.

Check out ADV.1, they have titanium lug nuts, might be worth your time with all the attention to detail that has gone into this project.

Best of luck with finishing it and making it to the track.

Nick

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow----how about a salvaged 08 to build up and keep that perfect acr?? Im sure you weighted your options but damn that looked like a perfect car...lol

Thought about it and it would have made more financial sense but I wanted my car. This would have been the smart decision but I guess I'm not that smart. :D It wasn't perfect but very close. I have a ton of track abrasion on the front end (rock chips) from past track days.

Not only that but I didn't want to find out that something had been hit harder than expected or a certain part was way more expensive and difficult to change etc...

My god. . . your car is amazing.

Check out ADV.1, they have titanium lug nuts, might be worth your time with all the attention to detail that has gone into this project.

I will, hopefully they have open lug nuts. Thanks
Best of luck with finishing it and making it to the track.

Nick

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great Tim! Should be a fun season looking forward to running with you. By the looks of things we will be in two different classses you will be running unlimited with the new rules I believe. Anyway will have some fun. I am excited you are almost finished the project now it;s time to shake it down.

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I am missing a lot of progress photos due to the fact I needed to make Sebring. Well I made it and the car is roughly 98% done. I finally mounted the camera, still have to do the trans cooler and the cool suit. I will update with some build pics soon. Here are some action photos taken at Sebring. Note the nice front bumper in the beginning and not so nice in the later photos. Made a poor decision in turn 1 and scraped some paint off but luckily NO mechanical damage whatsoever! Got lucky!!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great to see all the build shots and unbelievable prep, but gotta say my favorite pics are those of you running the track at Sebring-- congrats!!

Has been fun for alot of us to read along, and of course for those of us in the colder climes, we were able to live vicariously with you over the Winter months.

Bill Pemberton

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Sebring pics Tim! It looks like you adjusted the rear wing down for additional downforce, or are my eyes fooling me? If so, did you notice a difference?

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see all the build shots and unbelievable prep, but gotta say my favorite pics are those of you running the track at Sebring-- congrats!!

Has been fun for alot of us to read along, and of course for those of us in the colder climes, we were able to live vicariously with you over the Winter months.

Bill Pemberton

Thanks Bill! I am loving the car still just need to get it worked out with the new combo!

Great Sebring pics Tim! It looks like you adjusted the rear wing down for additional downforce, or are my eyes fooling me? If so, did you notice a difference?

Eric, I did adjust the wing and I could definitely tell the difference. It should be adjusted by track not overall. The back was a little too loose and it really took care of that issue. I originally went two positions but backed off one as I was having issue with high speed understeer. I need to call Russ and run track set ups with him and continue to refine the suspension. TWS this weekend was not very good, car just didn't feel as planted as before and Russ said I would have more adjustments to make. Still very happy and know it is just a matter of time till I get it worked out.

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
good to see you tearing up the track again Tim, ***** about the front bumper, but sounds like it was just cosmetic at least :D

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very impressive but I have to say the out of pocket had to be higher than an X. Even buying at 20k off an ACR is 88k and an X in primer is 115K. We put a lot of parts on the #90 X last year and they are pricey. I simply can't believe a cage, arrow engine, suspension, body bits (canards are something like1k), and all the rest came in at under 30k. And if you are putting a big number in paint then I hope your debut convinced you that was a waste.

An awesome labor of love though and I hope you enjoy it and you should be justifiably proud of the project. Me I'd save the time and money and buy the x

Oh and the one thing you left out is IMO the most important. The X-specific rotors. When you do that be very careful about clearance to the wheel barrel. We had a couple of wheels literally get machined in 2 last year. And add the water mist cooling for the brakes. Trust me both are worth it

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith, I am fully aware of what I spent and what I would have spent on a new X. I can tell you that with a warranty motor, which I only had to pay for the upgraded pistons (was my street car at the time), and the fact that I bought this car new in 2008 for way more than 88K that my numbers definitely come out for the better despite your doubts. The price difference between what I paid and what trade in would have been is the big "X" factor in this equation as well. The canards for instance were more than 1/2 what your expectation of them was. If I were to buy a brand new ACR and convert it you would be correct. I could post the prices and the spread sheet but I would not do that to Tom Francis, ART or Jon B at Parts Rack. I really have no reason to say that it would be cheaper or more expensive. Last, you also have to remember all of the stock parts that I have sold. I have not figured parts that I still can sell if I choose. I can also assure you if it was the same cost or more to build mine I would have bought an X.

As for the paint, Brad's car was painted was it not? I would start with paint or a wrap regardless of whether or not I had a debut incident. The paint and or wrap would have been damaged and been fixed. I have kept track of every dollar that I spent on this build and I have the quote that I received from Tom Francis that more than proves my savings. What I don't think you and others take into consideration is some people LIKE to do things like this. A labor of love, absolutely!

I have had very mixed reviews on the rotors but plan to do them in the near future. With an almost new set of Stoptech rotors I was not going to scrap them. I do greatly appreciate your opinion on their worthiness as well as the misters. I need to be faster before they are relevant for me :), I am not in your league and I don't mean that in a bad way.

I fully respect your opinion and your decision to buy an X, for me I am quite happy with my end product as well as the money I saved. I also hope to see you out running an X again, any plans to get back in?

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I respect your approach as well, just wouldn't do it that way. Also, ask Tom for all ACRX manuals and tech bulletins. There are important life cycle items and things to check

This is the year I learn to fly so focusing on that. flying is tons cheaper than racing

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sad that flying is cheaper :)

I will ask Tom for this information. I can get it indirectly if needed and I have been told a lot of it. You are referring to lifecycle of wheel hub bearings, shocks etc... I assume. I am very glad that Dodge has given these recommendations, I think they even give the hours for the engine before a refresh. Hopefully this is obtainable from Tom.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950