Quaife Torque Sensing Diff

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai, the SRT's diff. requires major modification, to run a Quaife setup. Therefore the SRT's cost much more to do this to than a GTS would. Far more than just stub axles are changed. Problem is, Quaife doesn't actually build this as a direct replacement for the SRT diff, only the GTS. Taylor Racing has come up with a way to make it work, and that it doe's. As far as the Quaife being a good upgrade, "pure magic" but expensive.

Skip White

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had one for about a year now.

I do not know what was meant by the stub axle modifications. I sent the rear end to Taylor and they fit the Quaife into it.

I have not had any problems with it and my car puts out a good bit more power than stock.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats saying a lot, coming from someone that has a very fast SRT, and has acheived great numbers at the track.

The stub axle mod, has something to do with the Quaife not being made as a direct replacement for SRT, but then again, I'm not sure, the GTS, may also require this. Taylor Racing is the only one doing this for the SRT. As I said, there is a lot of work to installing this. The best racers out there are having them do this install, and it's they have it mastered. We will all end up with this unit in our modified cars sooner or later. I may take it on as a project in the near future.

Skip White

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thats saying a lot, coming from someone that has a very fast SRT, and has acheived great numbers at the track.

The stub axle mod, has something to do with the Quaife not being made as a direct replacement for SRT, but then again, I'm not sure, the GTS, may also require this. Taylor Racing is the only one doing this for the SRT. As I said, there is a lot of work to installing this. The best racers out there are having them do this install, and it's they have it mastered. We will all end up with this unit in our modified cars sooner or later. I may take it on as a project in the near future.

Skip White

Yeah, with the package I am working on this winter, I am going to need this diff! Skip, If I drop one in before you, I'll give you the run down. Please do the same if it goes the other way...

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Skip, or John;

I have been interested in a Quaife Diff in my Viper's for a number of years now. Our SRT-10's have a new (to the Gen III) diff that was to be a big improvement on the track, and obviously, the SRT produces some serious times.

So, please tell me how much better the Quaife would be in an SRT-10? Would we "feel" the difference in everyday driving/spirited romps on the throttle? Important: would there be noticeably less "wheel hop" during a drag start? How about the COST of having the Quaife installed (all completed)?

Based on your "seat of the pants" comments, I will be looking in to getting the Quaife done this winter (if your comments are positive).

Thanks!

Jim W.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, the Quaife applies power to the wheels very much differently, than the oem setup. It's pricipal operation is different, and it is said to give a little better of the line traction. Where is really shines is when going into a turn, and accellerating. The power percentage is shifted to the outer wheel, instead of the inner wheel. This keeps the car tracking much better than a posi style. As a matter of fact it a life saver in this respect. No car on the track can keep up with a Quaife style diff.

As far a feeling the benifits on cornering, well I'm scared to death to accellerate hard enough on a turn to ever notice it, on the street that is, but come the day you do get on it when the car is not straight, you will benifit from it. I would also say the car is much less squirly from a hard take off.

Cost to swap out the redone unit is very low. It's the build up that cost.

The Hydro Lock unit is not a true torque sensing diff. That's what Jerry from Unitrax told me, and he doesn't even sell the a torque sensing unit for the SRT, so I'm inclined to believe him. Hydro Lock is just a different principal of operation, but still functions as a Posi unit.

Wheel hop may be reduced with this setup, but there are many factors to wheel hop.

Skip White

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to get serious about racing an SRT10 I would consider this upgrade a must.... the only better option would be to get a custom rear end and spool... but that'd not be very good for street use.

Skip knows what he's talking about - Quaife rear end units are the standard by which others are compared - and the stock SRT10 rear ends are KNOWN to be a weak link.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This would eliminate the weak link, I'm sure. The ring and pinion have really never been a problem, nor has the case. Breaking of this new setup is pretty much unheard of.

Skip White

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

I personally cannot feel any difference from the stock rear end vs. the Quaife. This is based on mostly street driving but with some road course and autocross time. The Quaife did not seem to reduce wheel hop.

The Quaife visually looked much stronger than the stock piece. The stock piece had two spider gears where the Quaife uses 6 helical gears to replace the two spider gears. Based on this, my guess is that the Quaife could handle up to three times the load that the stock one could handle.

I believe the cost was around $3,000 for the Quaife installation into the SRT-10 rear assembly. Installation and removal of the rear assembly from the car was not included in the $3,000. John Hennesseyy did the removal and installation as part of my total package.

So in summary, I have not seen any negatives associated with the Quaife other than the price. On the positive side, I doubt that anything short of 1000+ HP launch on drag slicks could damage it.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt that anything short of 1000+ HP launch on drag slicks could damage it.

I'm kinda hoping that won't break it either.... I talked a friend into running one and we'll find out in Bradenton Florida if it can take 1000hp!

re wheel hop - the diff won't stop that - that is more controlled by suspension setup, spring and dampening rates etc.. unless you run a spool :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960