Question about '94 RT/10 exhaust.....

grkss400hp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question about \'94 RT/10 exhaust.....

I am pretty new to the viper forum...... more used to the LSX platform, so my question how do u guys think about this exhaust set-up...... i will be pulling of the side-sills and removing the stock mufflers on either side, keeping the stock-cats... but now should I go with bullet style muffler or just go with straight pipes off the cats ? Are the mufflers bolt-ons to the cats or welded ? thanks guys !

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Question about \'94 RT/10 exhaust.....

Replace the cats with high-flow at the least, you get both gains and less interior heat. After that you can go straight pipes if you are into a mind numbing sound or get an aftermarket muffler (i'll let others chime in on type).

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you want to ditch something, at least ditch the cats. As mentioned above, they are the main source of interior heat.

I personally use no cats at all. My mufflers are Spintechs. It's loud and I like it. Got about 500$ down in the conversion, materials & labor included.

If things become too noisy to your liking, you could think about using high flow cats or even glasspacks.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go with a high flow cat and Borla cat back (muffler) That's what I have. And yes they are welded but you can change that to clamps.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's my set-up. Easy to convert back to stock (only 3 bolts):

3989DSC00347.JPG

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here goes the neighborhood.

Get the Roe kit for Gen I. Added 22 RWHP to my 94. Easy to install.

Agreed. Resonable cost and easy to install.

Yeah, what they said. And B&B headers foolio.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score

I tried removing the stock cats and mufflers and replacing with just high flow cats. Way to loud.
Went with 18" round dual tube glasspack high performance mufflers from JC Whitney for $32.00 each. Sounds good and runs great.

KROOKLYN

Viper Owner
Reaction score

For those of you who have the roe kit, how is the sound.I was thinking of purchasing the kit myself.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The roe kit sounds awesome. Phil's Viper sounds like a Viper should sound...my 2 cents.

8AV8

VCA Member
Reaction score

The Roe kit sounds great, I'll never go back to the stock
exhaust.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Leave stock cat? You're replacing the wrong thing.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You might consider removing the cats and adding a resonator.
This will give a little more hp and reduce a lot of heat.
I'm using Borla mufflers, resonators with dynomax cones to reduce the noise. I found the noise to be a problem with a side exhaust car.

KROOKLYN

Viper Owner
Reaction score

94RT10Ohio you got a pm

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with the no cats on a Gen1 car. You won't be able to tell the difference because the Gen1 engines burn so clean and the side sills will be way cooler. I had a borla muffler on mine. It was loud, but not unbearable until I installed headers.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had the Sean Roe Gen1 kit on mine as well loved it...Even better when i took out the cats..
Baz :2tu:

OP
OP
G

grkss400hp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with the no cats on a Gen1 car. You won't be able to tell the difference because the Gen1 engines burn so clean and the side sills will be way cooler. I had a borla muffler on mine. It was loud, but not unbearable until I installed headers.

so your saying because "it burns clean" I could pass the sniffer test w/o cats ?!?

o btw what size piping should I get 3' right ? Im cutting right between the cats and the muffler.... and where the muffler was replacing it with straight pipes, and then cutting off the stock tips and clamping them to the new pipes...should be quite easy and VERY cost effective AND still pass smog

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

grkss400hp, Stop for a second. You are replacing the wrong thing. Cut out the stock cat. Replace with stainless 2.5" pipe. Make sure to keep everything in alignment and measure overall length before and after so everything lines up well afterwards. I actually tacked the exhaust to two tables, cut out the cat, welded in new piece. The exhaust never moved so it went perfectly back in. The nsee what you think. If need be, you can play around with different mufflers later but I'm sure you will be happy.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're not gonna pass CA smog with out cats. Just buy Sean Roe's high flow exhaust package with high flow cats.

OP
OP
G

grkss400hp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ok i decided after looking how close the stock muffler and cat are to each other, to cut them out as a whole....

so ill be cutting before the cat, and putting in 2.5 inch tubes($10.95 x 2)....and either a borla Xr-1 ($130 x 2) or a dynomax bullet ($33 x 2) and using 4 dynomax band clamps(8.95x4) to hold it all together....

in theory it will sound good, guess ill find out

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ok i decided after looking how close the stock muffler and cat are to each other, to cut them out as a whole....

so ill be cutting before the cat, and putting in 2.5 inch tubes($10.95 x 2)....and either a borla Xr-1 ($130 x 2) or a dynomax bullet ($33 x 2) and using 4 dynomax band clamps(8.95x4) to hold it all together....

in theory it will sound good, guess ill find out

okay what did you go with...and where can you get those mufflers????

OP
OP
G

grkss400hp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

www.summitracing.com

well i literally just finished pulling the stock stuff off and to tell you the truth it doesnt sound too bad with open headers......so with that said im going to go ahead and clamp up the 4 foot pipe I bought and go from there if its too loud I have the dynomax bullet mufflers I can add....

i let ya know in about a day or two, when I have some time to finish this all up....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery