Question about CA Vipers....

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

While reading some of the posts today...I came up with a question. Does a Viper owner in California have to do any mods to the car to meet the stringent requirements out there?

If so...how hard are they to 'undo' when you buy a CA car, and move to a more normal state...?

TIA,

cayenne

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might find from a 'certain' contingent that your Viper must be painted yellow. But to truly meet the statewide standard, consider painting it Blue and White!

;p

Jay K.

OP
OP
C

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might find from a 'certain' contingent that your Viper must be painted yellow. But to truly meet the statewide standard, consider painting it Blue and White!

;p

Jay K.

Hahah...nice reply. I was, though, referring to th emissions crap they have to go though out there. I hear they have to test their exhaust on a regular basis out there.

Down here...if your lights work, windshield wipers wipe, and horn honks...you car is inspected. Back up in AR...they finally did away with car inspections at all a few years ago....

C

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cayenne.
They are just jerking your chain. All current Vipers, I believe since 96, are 50 state compliance. No additional modifications necessary. Some owners have modified their cars, and they of course would need to be in compliance to be registered. Each state is different, but California is the most stringent. If it passes here, it should pass everywhere.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cayenne.
They are just jerking your chain. All current Vipers, I believe since 96, are 50 state compliance. No additional modifications necessary. Some owners have modified their cars, and they of course would need to be in compliance to be registered. Each state is different, but California is the most stringent. If it passes here, it should pass everywhere.

Thank you Paul for not following the other guys... Yes, OBDII Vipers are Ca compliant, but, if they're from another state AND have less than 7,000 (or 7500, I don't remember exactly) miles, you are in for a headache! Otherwise, it's not a problem, assuming the catalytic converters have not been removed and the it's relatively stock.

Bottom line: Moving to another state, there's really nothing to change/remove that will give you added power.

Mike

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car was orignally purchased from Roanoke (Illinois), registered in Indiana, then the owner moved to Arizona, then sold it to the guy I bought it from who was here in Cali. No problems, car smogged fine. I belive Paul is 100% correct. My brother also had an R/T here in Cali which was purchased from Roanoke. I think youre OK, assuming its got stock headers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96