question about installing new brake pads

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have EBC red stuff brake pads and new rotors on my front wheels which I received from Jon B. at Parts Rack. Jon B. also sent me another pair of pads for the rear wheels and said I didn't need to machine or replace my rotors to replace the pads but from what I read on EBC's website they say "Always turn or replace rotors when changing pads." What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Jeff

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How badly are the rotors groved? If not too bad I would rather wear the pad down than give up metal on the rotors.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the rotor is in good shape, I just hit it with a little sandpaper to clean off the old pad material and kind of give it a "fresh" surface to bed the new pads on.

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They don't seem to be grooved too bad. Are you saying the new pads will "give up metal on the rotors"?

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So TowDawg are you saying take the existing pads off sandpaper them a little then put them back on and not use the new EBC red stuff brake pads?

Reaction score
Take the existing rear pads off, use sand paper on the rotors to remove the old pad material on them, install EBC pads and do a proper bedding of the pads to the rotors. The rear pads will "fit themselves" to your rotors while bedding them.

Hokahey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the rotors are not too "scored" or grooved, I usually opt NOT to turn them. (If the rotor is in good shape, I just hit it with a little sandpaper to clean off the old pad material and kind of give it a "fresh" surface to bed the new pads on) this is a good idea, and my reasoning behind not turning the rotors is that whenever you turn the rotors you remove material. That material is what disipates the heat from the friction. The less material, the quicker heat build up............ and the higher the brake temperatures. Im just saying....

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your help with this! I'll let you know how it goes!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have an ACR and you're gonna run EBC reds?....... do you only drive on the street or what?.......and if so, Why do you have an ACR?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You have an ACR and you're gonna run EBC reds?....... do you only drive on the street or what?.......and if so, Why do you have an ACR?

Good question. There are better pad choices for the track .....

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree and I'm going to take it on the track but after paying for taxes and registration on this car I need to re-lock and load on my finances to afford the cost of racing it (and an instructor as I'm pretty new to having a car like this) so in the meantime the EBC reds are good for driving it around town.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see you question sooner, but it looks like a couple others have already chimed in to clarify what I meant.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, having an instructor the first few times out with an unfamiliar car like this on the track would be a very good idea. -don't ask how I know. The faster you try to go, the more you will find that you want better brakes. I run Mintex-front / Brakeman #3-rear, and love it. Excellent initial bite, very consistent throughout temp range, no fade, very well balanced combo for the car. -Very ugly squealing on the street though.......but who cares.....just run a louder exhaust set up, and make the car totaly obnoxious.....-don't ask how I know.

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going out to the track for the first time on Friday for half a day with an instructor! Wish me luck. :)

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks I definitely will. My instructors name is Ted Winning. Has anyone here heard of him? I looked him up and he was on 9 news website as an amateur race car driver and instructor. He said we will be driving with the windows down in case I roll the car they can get me out without having to break the windows which was a little scary but makes sense.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks I definitely will. My instructors name is Ted Winning. Has anyone here heard of him? I looked him up and he was on 9 news website as an amateur race car driver and instructor. He said we will be driving with the windows down in case I roll the car they can get me out without having to break the windows which was a little scary but makes sense.

IMHO and as a Viper track guy and instructor, it's usually best to have an instructor who has driven a Viper on a track, the track you're driving is preferable if possible. When I first started, I had a few "Miata" and other momentum car racers as instructors and their driving "approach" and driving "line" was different than what worked best for Viper.

Probably the best and simplest advice I or other track guys could give you as a novice would be to "keep your eyes up and look ahead to where you will be"; focus on slow into the corner and fast out; and brake in a straight line.

FYI, we always run road courses with the windows down, so don't worry about this statement.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! This instructor said he has driven a Viper on the track one time before so we'll see how it goes.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always windows down. -not so hot, hand signals, can hear the exhaust better (more fun). Also agree very much with Dan about instructor's experience in a Viper. It ain't like the other cars out there.....at all. I think even the Z06 guys have an easier time with control. (not as much chance of getting bit) Those are very fast, similar power to the Viper, but not as much a handful to drive at/close to the limit. ( I took my Corvette to the track once and found it quite boring ) An instructor that's only used to a 'momentum car' like a Lotus, Miata, M3, or something like that, will get you killed in a Viper. I've rode with some good drivers in those kinds of cars, and they approach the track completely different. In a Viper you need to scrub some speed before you turn in, then you fix it with the throttle on the corner exit. A miata doesn't need brakes, they just go full blast constantly (it seems like) If they do hit the brakes, it takes them three laps to regain what they lost (it seems like). ......Slow in - fast out, Viper still smokes the little cars on a full lap.

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I'm back from my trip to the track and it was a blast! You are so right Allan about how to drive this beast. Although my instructor is a Miata racer, fortunately he's been racing for 30 years and has driven multiple different cars including a Corvette ZR1 and another Viper and told me we need to drive this car just like you said Allan. Brake before the turn then throttle through the apex and exit which worked really good and my instructor went incredibly fast using this technique. It took me a little while to get the hang of it but eventually I started figuring it out and got quite a bit of confidence until I spun out in the dirt. The good thing is I was able to get back out for a half an hour and build my confidence back up and did good again and didn't spin out after that. I have a video I took from a camera I mounted in the car from when I was starting to get better. Unfortunately though I ran ran out of power on my camera before I got back out the last half hour so this video has my spin out in it but it's actually pretty cool to watch the spin out. I also added some movie quotes from Talledega Nights and some music to the video as well as my instructor coaching me and getting excited about me doing good on some turns. Hope you guys enjoy and make sure you turn your speakers on so you can hear the stuff I added. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8o_Zc6kfww

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jlodwick,
Great video. I am glad you still have your sense of humor. Not too bad driving for a first timer. You were doing well until you turned in too tight on the corner and you probably let up off the throttle spinning the rear out. Nice that you passed the Porsche just before hand. What track were you running? It looks like you have a lot room out there as it is quite desolate. Must be in the Wyoming prairie. I did not see any corner workers either.
Nice car BTW.
PAVenomRT/10
2000 RT/10
2009 ACR

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
God vid, thanks for posting. Haven't heard "Shoot to Thrill" in a while, made my morning. Good driving.....now you're gonna do that again and again and again........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21