Question about oil change please......

arian23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi i am new to this viper forum and i needed help for changing the oil on my 94 RT/10. i have been trying to find out the engine oil capacity on the car and i have got a few different answers. On this forum in the specs section it says 11.5 qts. with the lines and oil cooler, and and dealer told me 9 qts. if someone can please help me out with this i would really apprieciate it. Also in the specs section in this forum it shows that a 96 viper holds less oil than the earlier ones. im just a little confused. thanks!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
hi i am new to this viper forum and i needed help for changing the oil on my 94 RT/10. i have been trying to find out the engine oil capacity on the car and i have got a few different answers. On this forum in the specs section it says 11.5 qts. with the lines and oil cooler, and and dealer told me 9 qts. if someone can please help me out with this i would really apprieciate it. Also in the specs section in this forum it shows that a 96 viper holds less oil than the earlier ones. im just a little confused. thanks!!

Welcome. THE YEAR MATTERS !
Year-match is a problem for some dealers, and for some info posted here. A guy SWEARS his info is correct, and it IS.... (for his year.) And in 2 of the year models, 93 and 96, the answer will be different on many questions mid-year!

Your correct answer is as shown on this site: 11 Qt, IF-IF-IF you can successfully drain the oil cooler and lines (front end elevated). It is likley that you will be hard-pressed to get 10 qts in. Stop adding, Run up, and check after adding 9.5-10q. DO NOT OVERFILL

And PAY ATTENTION to your coolant overlow bottle under your RF headlight (!), and the surge tank atop the RF wheel arch. Keep your coolant full, and NO AIR in the system. Head gaskets WILL FAIL in 1994, and having air trapped in the system hastens their demise.....

You have NO EMAIL ADDRESS in your profile, so we cannot send you more info

GOOD LUCK.....

OP
OP
A

arian23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does the dealer say 8- 8.5 qts?? Thats wierd. Dealers are very sketch sometimes. So should I have the car level when I drain the oil of elevate it a little bit? If I elevate it will it all drain out because i see the plug is in the middle and you dont want the oil to go behind the plug and not come out. I really apprieciate all your guys' help.
I got my email address and VIN # updated so you guys can send me more info if needed . thanks!!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the service manuals are wrong on the oil capacity about Vipers. I believe my 96' RT/10 manual says 8.5 for my capacity as well, but its definitly 10. Your dealer is prob going by what the book says

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is another view - the ten quart cars actually run better a little low since it cuts down on aeration of the oil and windage losses within the crankcase. Secondly, too much oil creates more aeration and can lead to engine failure. If you were to put ten quarts into a eight quart pan and ran it hard you will have problems.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack, my guess is that you've been Drag Racing long before you owned your Viper! Agree with your comments 100%.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most dealers think they know everything there is to know about Vipers, but the truth is most don't know ****. They just like to play the roll and talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. Be very careful what dealers advise you take. Most haven't even sold a Viper.
I learned the hard way, as I watched my warranty expire they kept jacking around with my car and never would listen to what I was telling them. In the end they didn't want to be told what to do (because they thought they knew everything) and I ended up fixing ALL my issues myself at my own expense.
At least my car didn't fall apart when I fixed it, like my Gen 1 did when I took to a different dealer to simply have the right mirror tightened. Thet tore the whole door apart to tighten my mirror and when I got my car home, the first time we used the pass door eveything came off in my sons hand when he went to close it.
Best advise is to learn as much here as you can to avoid having to deal with DG. Unless of coarse you have Tator or the likes of Woodhouse nearby.
Good luck!

OP
OP
A

arian23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
another question... i got a k&n oil filter # hp-2004. Is that a good one to use?? thanks

Reaction score
We are a dealer so we use the Mopar filters I have heard that the K&N and Mobil1 filters filter to a much smaller micron. The down side of this is that they plug sooner and the bypass opens, then you get no filtering. All we use on the racecars, and streetcars here are the Mopar filters or WIX filters.

Mark Jorgensen

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wix is a poor filter IMO. I use Mopar and I don't think any of us would be appossed to a higher micron filter. Mainly because I don't think anyone here would put 5000 miles on between changes anyway.

OP
OP
A

arian23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know why I dont ask this all at once but I got mobil 1 synthetic 10w/30. Im thinking that would be ok. I didnt know if i should get 5w/30 or 10w/30. I live in San Francisco if that makes any difference weather wise for the oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery