Question about VOI Drag Races...

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

There has been alot of conversation about a method of determining the best driver at voi. In my opinion there is a simple solution to this question, using it affords every participant the same chance to earn the title of "best driver" while still allowing every car to go as fast as it possibly can.

I am pasting this response from another post on the "Viper racing, time slips" forum;

Jason,

Good idea but I've got another. Drag racing is about consistancy and longevity. I'm not impressed by the one run kamakazi bonzai warrior.

The essence of drag racing has always been the process of eliminations that lead to the eventual winner. There is rarely a dispute of who the winner is at a drag racing event. Computers, timers and beams of light take the human mistake factor out of deciding the victor.

I suggest a series of eliminations, similar to what goes on every saturday nite at drag strips across America. This series of eliminations is referred to as "bracket racing".

Racers get a few time runs to determine what their car can run. Then they "dial in" their time on the window of the car with shoe polish. This dial in is a time that their car can achieve without running faster. Once at the starting line, 2 cars with different dial in's are handicapped by computer from the timing tower and the slower car gets a headstart. This headstart is computed so that if the cars were on a rail, and driven perfectly by computer, they would reach the finish line at exactly the same time. With this in mind, the driver makes the difference. Bracket racing was designed to make drag racing affordable and competitive to all participants, so that the racer with the most money doesn't win unless he is also the most consistant car and driver combination.

Bracket racing requires consistancy in the car and driver.

For our usage, I suggest the following;

1. Keep the class structure that we currently have

2. Have eliminations per class

3. Winners of each class race against each other for best driver of the event.

Its just that simple.

One other important thing that I'd like to add which is common at the "fastest street car" and "Quick 16" events across the country...your dial in must be within .05 of your best time run. This helps to keep the faster cars from "sandbagging". A series of eliminations also keeps the one run kamakazi bonzai warriors from being a one run wonder. Awards can still be handed out to top speed and low et per class, as I would assume that everyone is trying to go as fast as they can on every run.

Just my $ 0.02. Flame suit donned. Everyone travel safe to this event!

Tom Http://btrviper.com

P.S. I have added this....in a nutshell, there are alot of good drivers out there like Mike B, Mike S., Chuck 98 rt/10, D. Levin, G. Bryce, L. Saunders, J. Furman, and countless others, but their Vipers are all spec'd different. What other format could everyone compete in?

There are other forms of drag racing eliminations, ie; classes by mods with the fastest car in each class being crowned king. These are good also, but they do not necessarily show who is the best driver, but maybe the best or wealthiest tuner. A bracket style elimination will show the best driver for that given day, and we can still crown kings of the fastest in class as they surely deserve recognition for their efforts.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No flame here Tom. Personally and I think what others want to see is who can get a stock or near stock Viper down the 1/4 mile the quickest. While this would be somewhat possible with several stock Vipers, the only way to best determine this would be all drivers in the same car. No worry about red lights or reaction time, mph doesn't count although it could be a bragging right for the fastest person.....purely an et contest. There are way to many variables with folks driving their own car. High hp cars verses stock cars.....street tires verses et streets etc. Lots of variables. What your saying would be cool to do.....run the winners against each other but it has no bearing on what I want to see. I don't care who the best drag racer is, just who is the best Viper driver. There is very possily a different best driver for a high hp car, et street car and stock car. We would just be settling one of those categories.
ps are you saying Evan = countless others
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
oh no!!

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This used to be called Top Eliminator.
Why not have Dodge bring two stock cars ( like the region events) and see who can lay down the best ET.

Bullet488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense guys but I fail to see the point of this "best driver" title. If you want a fair contest of driver and experience, participate in the bracket class at VOI.

The real problem with this "best driver competition" is that it proves someone has taken the time to learn the nuances of a stock car and is not afraid to beat on it. If that is the point, go win the stock class and declare yourself the best driver. Having a no holds barred contest with a donor car doesn't prove much to me. This competition seems to be between a select few that have strictly driven stock cars and want to showcase their driving "mojo". If that is the point, bring out your car and outrun the competition.

I you want to call yourself a good driver, go out and extract as much performance as possible from your individual car. That is to say, you learn where your clutch engages, how your weight transfers, the limits of available traction, optimized shift RPMs, transmission quirks and how to keep from blowing the thing to pieces. At this point, go race in a class with similar cars and you will be able to compete.

Add that to the fact that finding a donor car for a competition of this nature would be tough. You know with ET being the focus the car is going to get hammered. If the track is sticky you’re going to need half shafts. If you got half shafts, you probably have basic exhaust and intake upgrades. Now you can't offer lowest ET in a stock car stats to anyone. Add that to power shifts and a couple of no clutch rips into second and this car will be lucky to make it through the day. Besides, with heat soak, clutch wear, track surface, time of day and the amount of time it will take to pull this off.. I'm afraid you would have nothing but arguments and potential for problems. (Get a little over excited and you could wreck the donor car)

I think it would be fun, but there are alot of problems and with very limited time at the VOI drags.. I would much rather see the true heads-up competitors have the track time to dial in their cars and compete.

Just my .02$

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's around 1am for me, and I have to get to bed. Don't have much time to comment on this, but I agree 100% with what Tom Welch has to say about bracket racing. I've been doing all I can to build interest and get more entries for that class, including calling out my road racing buddies to run me in Bracket. I even have a Bracket grudge match race coming up against Tom Glenn, last year's Viper Day's Super Stock Champ, and this year's Unlimited Class leader. But, I guess they are all mostly "chicken".
wink.gif
And now, heck, Welch........you've probably gone and scared away any that WERE thinking of competing there...... by revealing that, YES, it's where some TRUE driving skill can really shine!

Unfortunately, the "hardware" is already set in stone, and it's really pretty much too late to change the award structure already in place. I don't think we will have the time to be able to "bracket" all class winners for an overall thing anyway. We've got something unique and special planned for the 4pm sharp end of competition. If we DO end up with enough extra time to pull that off, maybe we can try it..... but I'll have to defer at that point to Prashant Patel, who will be in charge of our "competition" aspect that day. We'll certainly discuss it.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
King your an optimistic devil. 4PM sharp end of competition!?
100+ cars, 6+ classes, gates open at 9AM, Drivers meeting at 10:15, Time Trials (2), Qualifying (2), build a ladder, runs, say 5 rounds in each class to get a champion (min 30minutes apart), track down time. That's a lot of action for 6 hours!!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like any sport, the BEST DRIVE WILL BE THE BONZAI WARRIOR that one time. Like any sport, a person better be consistent enough that that ONE run will be his best.

One run determines the best driver!!!
supergrin.gif

Gerald

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, Prashant has done it before pretty easy, during big Viper vs Corvette wars. That also included quite a bit of lost track time for clean-up of the wrecked or broken Corvettes too!
yesnod.gif

Get in that car and DRIVE it..... because things are going to move QUICK once we get into eliminations!
smile.gif
It'l be good to see ya again.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any word on the special class for the Michelin track tires?
I got a set of those mounted, a set of M/Ts and my stock tires.
I need a support truck.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter how scientific you guys want to make it with bracket racing, I for one still would like to see who the best driver of them all really is. Most of the smack talk here seems to be devoted to who the better driver is--so I say let's get it on.

Bracket racing has it's place, but in any experiment you try to eliminate all the variables you can. In this case, in order to isolate the best driver you have to eliminate variables between cars.

My money is on Jamie Furman--no questions asked.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's not forget one important thing here guys, BRACKET RACING *****! If I wanted to bracket race I would buy a Neon and go to a local track every Saturday. Also, I never said that the race should be between tuners only, I think anyone who wants to say that they're the baddest in the land should be able to participate. Anyone who fails to see the point in the "best driver" title, well, that says about all I need to know about your driving skills. The main problem I see is that unfortunately this is only a one day event. Besides we all know that Evan would win anyhow, right Joe.
rolleyes.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If I wanted to Bracket Race I'd attend and help sponsor the Bracket Owners Invitational.

Since every* race driver is always trying to BETTER their last run, "settling" for consistency vs speed is more of an amusement than a race. Bracket racing reminds me of the Harlem Globetrotters spotting the Church Ladies 200 points............

*Exception: Enduro racing. CONSISTENCY RULES !

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me it's always been run what you brung. If I **** at driving, hopefully the car is fast enought to make up for lack of driving skills.

yesnod.gif
AMEN!
yesnod.gif

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, bracket racing is out.........fine with me, just a thought that takes the mighty dollar out of the driver equation.

A question though..why does the mod II class have to be "bracketed" to only run 10.50?????..sounds like a no breakout bracket race to me. I was planning to run in mod II class but the thought of lifting before the finish is more than I can stand..I can't believe some of the high power, big buck cars that have loaded that class.

Tom

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:
So, bracket racing is out.........fine with me, just a thought that takes the mighty dollar out of the driver equation.

A question though..why does the mod II class have to be "bracketed" to only run 10.50?????..sounds like a no breakout bracket race to me. I was planning to run in mod II class but the thought of lifting before the finish is more than I can stand..I can't believe some of the high power, big buck cars that have loaded that class.

Tom

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom,
I can understand you not feeling good enough to compete with the Big Dogs. But if everything was your way we'd all be driving around with Kmart stickers on our windshields
laugh.gif

Have some cheese with that wine and step up brotha,

Gerald

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is what tom is saying true. Mod II cannot break out bettter than a 10.5 or is it for cars that have yet to run 10.5??? I'm sure my car has a 10.5 in it but not sure of my driving skills?

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yo Gerbil,

I'm up Bro..I will be daydreaming about you in the next lane..lol.

Roof,

Maybe Im wrong as usual but I thought that the Mod II class(which I was going to run on stock radials) was limited to running no faster than 10.50. What happens if you run faster than a 10.50, I have not heard....good question though.

Tom

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to ask last week nobody answered. Im prepared to run either way. (Slicks or streets)

Somebody please speak up and tell us how it is gonna be!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supposed to be a 10.50 breakout, Normally that means that if you run faster than a 10.50 in eliminations you would lose and in qualifying if you ran faster than a 10.50 the run would not count. But it would also be normal in heads up racing to run on a pro tree....so who knows
dunno.gif
dunno.gif