Question about wax

Reaction score
Hey all,

I posted this in a mustang forum, but I want to get as many opinions on the subject as possible. What waxes and polishes do you recommend useing? I've head the terms NXT Tech Wax and Zaino mentioned.

P.S. Where could I get one of those car dusters?

Thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
car dusters can be bought almost anywhere. some car shows and i know r&s has them on rt23 south in pompton plains.

forget ZAINO..it stinks.

use liquid glass carbon PTFE/6. it rocks.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search for "California car duster", there are probably only a million places that sell them online, not to mention every single Pep Boys, Auto Zone...etc.

To each his own on the wax, I'm a Pinnacle Souveran disciple, especially for dark cars. Two for one sale at: http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html with free shipping. One jar will do your car 20 times at least. Goes a long way. When your done the lustre and finish looks a foot deep.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One Day I’ll Have One…Here’s the low down on the waxes mentioned thus far.

NXT. Contains a significant amount of silicone oil. According to MSDS sheets, as much as 10%. Also contains cleaners and abrasives.

Liquid Glass. Contains 12% diatomaceous earth, an abrasive…also used as pool filter sand. Also contains 12% silicone oil. Here’s a link to the ingredients in case any one wishes to see it.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=12003001

Zaino. Synthetic. No abrasives, no silicone oil.

Many polishes/waxes use an abrasive as at least part of the cleaning agent. The problem with using abrasives on a regular basis is that each time you abrade the surface your paint gets that much thinner. Paint is very thin to begin with, and once the clear gets too thin…it fails. Only use abrasives, no matter how gentle when necessary. As often as some of us like to wax our cars…you can see how this could become a problem.

Silicones. The debate still rages over silicones and car care products, so I won’t go there for this topic. I will say that silicones are used in many products as they are great camouflaging agents that will hide swirls and minor defects. The problem is, they don’t last much longer than a wash or two and the problems resurface. They also do nothing to protect your paint.

Finally, PTFE…or Teflon. As discussed in other threads here…according to DuPont, the maker of Teflon….Teflon is worthless in a car care appearance product. It must be heated to 700 degrees to apply.

I'm with ViperJon..to each their own. I have never used Menzerna, as I am more than pleased with Zaino.

Hope this helps.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I posted this in a mustang forum, but I want to get as many opinions on the subject as possible. What waxes and polishes do you recommend useing? I've head the terms NXT Tech Wax and Zaino mentioned.

P.S. Where could I get one of those car dusters?

Thanks

I definetly would not go with NXT, as Matt said it contains alot of silicone oils and it will also stain your trim and has no durability. There are alot of good detailing forums you can do your research on but I think you will find the majority is using Zaino. IMHO Zaino is the best in both looks and durability as well as ease of use. If you want to do some more investigation here are a few good links for you...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

http://www.detailersclub.com/

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/detailing/

You can also oick up one of those California Duster or Oxo also makes one at just about any of the detailing supply places or at a car show. One of my favorites is...

www.properautocare.com or
www.pakshak.com

And of course, we can't forget the most important link...
www.zainostore.com

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
car dusters can be bought almost anywhere. some car shows and i know r&s has them on rt23 south in pompton plains.

forget ZAINO..it stinks.

use liquid glass carbon PTFE/6. it rocks.

For 150 bucks a pint it better apply and remove itself while you are sleeping. I think its claims are a bit far fetched also. Twentyfive coats and it will prevent rock chips, come on??? Is there any type of guarentee against rock chips. If I use X-Pel (3m film) on my bumper they will guarentee against chips and even pay up to $1500 for paint work if I do get chips, is LG willing to offer the same warranty?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Menzerna FMJ is great stuff, and so is Pinnacle. It really depends on the color of your car. I'd skip the NXT.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agentf1, i will only tell you it is better than zaino and looks great. it will outlast it easily which is most important to me.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming you have good well cared for paint on the car to start with, I don't think you could tell the difference between a Zaino, Pinnacle, Liquid glass or NXT finish side by side, I'd bet money on it.

Durability is another issue. I KNOW the Pinnacle I like is probably the worst of the lot but I also know the finished product is as good if not better than any other and it goes on like butter. You don't have to wait for it to haze, you can wipe on wipe off. I do the whole car in 45 minutes. And since like most of you posers :) you like to detail the car, do I really give a [******] if it lasts 4 weeks, 6 weeks or 6 months. Nope. I can hit it again between beers...it only gets better with each layer.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've did Pinnacle and NXT side by side on my red ACR, and I COULD definitely see the difference. I didn't think I'd be able to, but the NXT looked cloudy compared to the Pinnacle. The downside to Pinnacle is that you have to reapply it so frequently, but it is very very easy to apply and remove. Menzerna FMJ might even be easier to use, and it lasts much longer, but it is better suited for lighter colors.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've did Pinnacle and NXT side by side on my red ACR, and I COULD definitely see the difference. I didn't think I'd be able to, but the NXT looked cloudy compared to the Pinnacle. The downside to Pinnacle is that you have to reapply it so frequently, but it is very very easy to apply and remove. Menzerna FMJ might even be easier to use, and it lasts much longer, but it is better suited for lighter colors.

Whats happening Bigcarrot, I can see differences between some products also. Pinnacle Souveran is an outstanding Carnuaba and one of the few products/carnuabas that seems to have excellent optical clarity but as you said it does lack in the durability department. It is probably similiar to the NXT or maybe even a little better as far as the durability goes from my experience and definetly blows NXT and most other products away in the looks dept. I have done some side by side comparisons with Zaino and Pinnacle Souveran and have not been able to see a difference in looks. With that being said despite the fact that I probably Zaino my vette almost after every wash I still choose Zaino since I use it on my 2 daily drivers as well and see no need to have 2 products which is actually pretty funny because when I think about it I actually have about 20 products right now with most of them only having 1 use and my Zaino bottles are all 1/2 empty. Man, I hate to say it but with all of these "What Wax" threads this place is starting to look like the CF.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried using the search function........

There are numerous threads, posts etc on the subject

Waxes are like cat-back systems......everyone is passionate about the brand they have or use. What I think is the best and a breeze to use, others may think stinks and needs a jackhammer to remove.

I personally like all Mothers and Meguires products and have used them for years with excellent results.

Good luck!

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turtle wax all the way 3.49 for 16 oz. bottle..with some Meguiers quick detailer over it..My blue/white GTS looks new every time I do it this way....P.S. I use the blue Turtle wax on the nose to hide any stone chips... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: