question for viper owners in NE and cold regions

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cold sunny day, dry pavement, no salt, I'll take my car out. Be careful with early morning drives. Black ice and frost can be a big problem. Remember to be smooth on the throttle. Cold streets and cold tires can be the combo that puts your snake into the armco.

Hiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my car for a year now, and I've driven EVERY DAY!
yesnod.gif

Sun, Fog, Rain, the Viper has seen it all!
As long as you're careful and realize the car's potential, you'll be fine!
I really don't know how some people can store their Vipers during winter!!! Personally, I cant! Just be careful!
bounce.gif

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget it.Unless you don't mind salt on it.I won't drive mine until after the first heavy spring rain.Tires that are very slippery on cold pavement.Condensation when you get it back in the garage.......I can wait.Winter is a time for detailing and mods. Bruce

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think that i am just going to store mine over the winter. too many cinders and crap on the road once the snow comes through, even if the weather gets nice, i still dont want to drive it in all that crap.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't "store it" I just pull it into the garage, put the cover on, and hook up the trickle charger. But I'll take it out in a second as long as it is nice and dry outside and not alot of salt and rocky garbage on the road. You know we'll have some good days, and that's when I take it out, blow out the cob webs, and scare the neighbors.

I have a Dakota that I use for the every day car.

AC

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I already stored mine till April, it will be here before you know it. The deer are a big problem right now. Wouldn't want to hit one. Have a few things to do till then, EBC greens, few coats of Zaino and maybe vinyl stripes for the summer. If I don't like them oh well just peel them off.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done both and obviously it depends on the severity of the winter. I tend to run up to first snow and then winterize it for the season. First nice spring day it's like getting a new car all over again.

Another question you might ask yourself is whether the car is a keeper or not. Winter driving will age a car much faster than Spring / Summer / Fall, between the salt, cold temp risks, road gravel, other drivers, etc.

Also remember the insurance $ savings on dropping all but fire & theft.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on taking mine out on a nice sunny day when the roads are all clear just to get it moving. We've had mild winters here lately
smile.gif

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Store it? For what? Save it for the next guy? I don't think so! I drive the car every reasonable chance I get. I won't take it out in the rain or the white stuff, but temperature wise, no limits - just be aware that tire adhesion goes away big time in cold weather.

The option is to not drive the car except under the most ideal conditions so that you could proudly report your prudence to a prospective buyer (should you choose to sell at some point) only to have them beat you down to market price anyway. NFW!

The car was made to be driven. Drive the friggen thing! It's not an investment, it's a toy .....

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Listen to ACR Joe! There's plenty of weeks in the NE where there's no snow on the ground (well, at least that's how it's been for the last few years), and you can enjoy plenty of clean road time!

Heck! We've been lucky to have perfect 50 degree weather for 3 years in a row at our winter celebration in JANUARY for our VCA-NJ members. We've had over 25 Snakes show up at the Trap Rock Brewery for this event!

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With everyone driving their snakes all winter long, I would assume that the cold air doesn't stress the body panels over time? As a first year Viper owner that would be my only concern other than wet/snow/salt conditions.

Y2KACR

VCA Member
Reaction score
I drive mine on clear dry winter days whenever I can here in Iowa. There is nothing better for the car (or me) than to take it out and "exercise" it. Better for the car to be warmed up fully than stored for a few months! When you go to sell it (at some point in the future) which would you rather say "I really enjoyed this car" or "I wish I would have driven it more"?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are a bunch of wusses.

I DROVE MINE IN THE SNOW!!!!!

Only twice, but I still did it. The Viper ***** in the snow. The only things you need to watch out for are the cold tires on cold roads because it's like driving on ice in any other car. You gotta REALLY be careful with the throttle and clutch when turning.

I used to kinda sorta put it away - meaning put the trickle charger on and take it out on nice days. The only thing I was worried about was when the roads are all white with dry salt and you drive through that one puddle and salt sticks to everything - and it's too **** cold to wash the car... so I was pretty sparing about when I drove it over winter.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
and it's too **** cold to wash the car...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love that French drain in my heated garage. Works for covert operations during (water use restricted) droughts as well.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACR Joe:
Love that French drain in my heated garage. Works for covert operations during (water use restricted) droughts as well.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll take a ride to Philly to wash the car... I presume you can provide bikini chicks to do the washing? I'll bring the beer. Send address ASAP.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year I did not store mine. Drove it on Sunny days, clear dry roads. When I needed a little therapy. You will pick up some paint chips on the facia. But you can also get it repainted for under $500.00
This year I plan on pulling the tranny. Installing new hoses. Putting it up on jacks Inspecting everything (retorque) and detailing the s#%t out of it.

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
Mine is already put away.

The 5 inches of snow we got this morning was a confirmation that the season is over.

I live on a dirt road, so even when the "streets" are clean, I still can't take my Viper out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya