Question "How To" Emergency Brake Pads Removal / Install

BlackViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you that have done this already...

I was working on my Gen3 and had the car up in the air so I figured I'd flip-flop the emergency brake pads. Reading through the manual it appears it is more complicated than it was changing the front pads. The manual says to first remove the console and then lock the automatic parking adjustment with a screwdriver to remove tension off of the cable. Next, pull the cable from the pivot wheel, remove the cable from the bracket cable housing and then remove the 2 bolts attaching the parking brake caliper to the knuckle. Then the steps to remove the pads are listed.

My question is two-fold. First, is it necessary to remove the console and then relieve the cable tension as the service manual indicates? I thought I read somewhere a while ago (when I wasn't doing the pad replacement) that wasn't necessary - but though I searched I can't find that comment and then again, maybe I'm not remembering that comment properly.

And secondly, the manual says to lubricate the bushing components with the appropriate lubricant- what is the appropriate lubricant for the bushings?

Thanks in advance for any help.

OP
OP
B

BlackViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you that have done this already...

I was working on my Gen3 and had the car up in the air so I figured I'd flip-flop the emergency brake pads. Reading through the manual it appears it is more complicated than it was changing the front pads. The manual says to first remove the console and then lock the automatic parking adjustment with a screwdriver to remove tension off of the cable. Next, pull the cable from the pivot wheel, remove the cable from the bracket cable housing and then remove the 2 bolts attaching the parking brake caliper to the knuckle. Then the steps to remove the pads are listed.

My question is two-fold. First, is it necessary to remove the console and then relieve the cable tension as the service manual indicates? I thought I read somewhere a while ago (when I wasn't doing the pad replacement) that wasn't necessary - but though I searched I can't find that comment and then again, maybe I'm not remembering that comment properly.

And secondly, the manual says to lubricate the bushing components with the appropriate lubricant- what is the appropriate lubricant for the bushings?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Figured it out on my own.

The ebrake caliper comes off by removing 2 bolts - the pad swap is a piece of cake after that. No need for any other removal of other parts (except the hairpin clip on the pad retaining pin.) Whole process of swapping the ebrake pads took less than 30 minutes. (And on both sides, the inner pad was worn slightly more than the outer pad.)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Didn't know about the console thing myself either. I have the service manual, but didn't think to reference it as I just looked at the caliper and saw it was two mounting bolts. I did disassemble mine and reassemble them in the hopes of preventing any further dragging issues, but I've also just taken to only using the emergency brake when absolutely necessary. I think it's a double edged sword. I used it every time I parked the car when I originally bought it and it lasted 2 years with zero problems, then it finally hung and chewed up the inner pads bad and scored a rotor. Not using it means the mechanism won't move and is more likely to stick than ever, but I just try to keep my eye on it now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456