Question on a GTS Exhaust sytem

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Okay. the time is near where I will be getting my Gen II Viper. On the stock system, are there just one muffler per side or is there a resonator with a muffler too?

What do most people do when upgrading the exhuast. I want something loud and tuned sounding. I actually like the droning sound too. Not raspy sounding.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
GTS: Exhaust manifold to side sill cat to side sill resonator to center rear muffler.

Sound is so subjective that the best thing is to go to some Viper club events and check out the various systems for what you like best and meets what you want to spend

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam, my little Asian Gerbil buddy..

First thing is to remove the rear muffler from a GenII.
It'll make it sound better , but not by much. I'm going with headers and cat back (3") to get some nice sound very shortly.
Car is being picked up today to be sent to Dougs!

Gerald

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron had posted a wave file (MPEG) of the stock GTS exhaust vs. muffler delete (SnakeOyls). Check the archives or find Ron and get him to post it again. I used to have it saved on my hard drive but that got wiped out by sircam a few weeks ago. Made the difference for me...
cool.gif

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 2000 the Snake Oyl sub-assembly that removes the rear muffler was perfect to my ears. Which brings a question. I know that Chrysler calls the item in the sill behind the cat a "resonator". And calls the piece behind that bumper, a "muffler". My experience was that a resonator always was after the muffler, (like on Hemis) so wouldn't the part behind the bumper actually be considered a resonator?

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AB,
I rode in a 2000 GTS today with the complete Belanger system and no cats. Very aggressive sounding with the cross over section. Loud on acceleration, but not rude. (owner does more Viper Days events and road racing)

I plan on putting that same system on my R/T, but will use some high flow cats. (I do more street fighting and cruising)

Best advise, go listen to a bunch,

Dave

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Snake-Oyl system w/ headers is LOUD! You will hear it pulling away gently from a stop at least 4+ blocks away. It does sound great, but I ended up putting corkscrew inserts into mine so that I did not wake the neighborhood all the time. The inserts helped (it is just Loud(single cap) now).

Also note that you will not be allowed on some tracks with even the milder decibel level and the resonance will make your stereo pointless

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd,
If you think the Snake Oyl sub is loud, you should hear some of the other systems. SoCal Rebel fired his up before I fired mine up and mine was a little squeak compared to his. Same with IMSOLO's car (Gen I with muffler delete), I can feel him approaching from a ways away.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ab,

Take a short drive up here to Ocala and I'll be glad to show you my system, I'll even take you for a spin and remove the sidesills. It is hands down the best sounding and best performing exhaust package on the market(we even tested and outperformed CDI headers and the NEW Corsa 3" catback last week. This was an independent test and the results will be posted)

Thanks for your questions,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I wish I could. I miss the Tampa Crew, but I live in Birmingham, AL. My rt/10 had a loud sound to it too. Ask gerald..it scared him! hehe! A mouse would scare that muscle head!

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, Doug your boyfriend told me it was heading for his shop. So the muffler on a 1998 gts removed doesn't really do much in your opinion as far as sound? What are you planning to get? E-mail me and give me your phone number. I hope you are doing well.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for me the snake oly sub exhaust was the perfect choice!!
the r/t being open it is nice it is loud but not too loud!!
did it on the recommendation of Bill from Woodhouse without ever hearing stock so i can't compare for you... just love the way it sounds!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang