Question regarding stock exhaust v-band clamp

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to install a Corsa cat back system together with hiflow cats on my '98 RT/10. In order to weld in the hiflow cats, I need to disconnet the exhaust from my (stock) headers. If I am not mistaken, this part connects via a v-band clamp to the headers and this v-band clamp can not be re-used, right?

Now, can I use any aftermarket 2,5" v-band clamp or will I have to get the OEM part?

BTW: I am assuming that stock diameter here is 2,5". Or is it not?

Thanks for your help!

Holger

F

FrgMstr

Always had issues with my V band clamps not holding or sealing well. Went with a traditional $5 steel U clamp and never had a problem since.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To avoid sealing trouble mating new pipe to the old header flange, use a flat abrasive block like a small brick up against it and swirl it around for a couple of passes. Examine it to see if there are any high/low spots revealed in the rust. A few taps with a hammer or passes with a file to true them works wonders. Repeat this on the pipe flange as well. Don't over do it though, or the wedging action of the clamp will be reduced. As said before, apply antiseize to all outside mechanical surfaces taking care not to get any inside the pipe--the cats don't like it. Even at that, they might hiss a bit at first. A couple of heat cycles and subsequent tightening may be necessary.

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never heard that the clamps are not reusable,...

Actually, the service manual says this :omg:

I don't plan to connect a new pipe to the header flange, I just want to remove this part from the car to better cut off the old and weld in the new cats. So I was wondering whether or not I really have to buy a new v-band clamp when I put the exhaust back on and if it has to be an OEM clamp or any other aftermarket clamp of the correct size (would be easier to get here).

Thanks!!

Holger

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read that too a couple years ago when I did mine. I checked in with the Wizard on it and he laughed at me for even asking. I re used mine and they work fine. As always pay attention to the torque specs,as I recall these are not very tight.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same Holger to weld on some flanges for a straight pipe to swap out the cats and resonators when needed.... no issues, clamp may just need a couple hits with a hammer or whatever to crack it loose when you take it off for the first time. Reused the clamps with no issues..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys! That's the answer I was hoping to hear, to re-use the clamps even if service manual says otherwise :2tu:

I am still new to Viper DIY so please apologize my sometimes stupid questions :rolleyes:

Holger

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those clamps are likely subject to a lot of heat and vibration fatigue, so the engineers gave it their safety note of one time use only. CYA. They however, aren't the ones that work on the cars and pay high parts prices etc. Sooooooooooo...

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unless your takeing it to the moon, you can reuse any clamp as long as you use common sense and it looks and clamps fine, but if you are takeing it to the moon, put a new one on

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the factory the assembly process is monitored, especially torque, clean new part, OEMs usually discourage reuse in applications for dealer service because it would take too much time to define a process to prep / clean and check the clamp (threads, corrosion, torque strain, etc..) for service, many times it's just cheaper to toss a part in the garbage and put on a new one. Just imagine if someone Dave6666 was responsible for writing the service book procedure for checking a used clamp (implying you would do a good job) but it would be a page long, and who's going to pay for that time especially if it has to come off for a warranty / tsb billed to the OEM.

Cheers,
Mike

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
exactly because thier are alot of people out there that should not have a wrench in thier hand,with no common sense. i agree

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave