Questions About The High Flow Cats

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I am looking for people to post what the purpose of the high flow cats are. What do they do? I heard they increase horsepower, do you know by how much? What should I know about the high flows?

This just comes up because I was at a meeting with a few members of the region and was told that if I do not put the high flow cats on that I can melt the side sills because of the Borla Cat-Back Exhaust. It can overheat the stock cats and cause melting in the sills.

Any info would be great.

Thanks again

Keith

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
never heard that, only that over time the stock cats heat will discolor the side sills. As far as what they do a cat is a cat. The FF ones simply move the gases through with less restriction and don't build up the heat that the stock ones do. Jon at Parts rack know everything there is to know about them. Call him.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with kgrif, the borla shouldnt do anything but make it better. It should'nt add heat if it helps gets the gasses out faster.

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard that some high flow cats produce a distinct smell. Any truth to that?

I think it was SapphireGTS who had the "smell" problem. I have heard of a couple of guys, but very very few. I swapped to the RT HF cats from JonB. Huge heat drop and they sound great.

Hope it works out for you.

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but from what I was told, the addition of the Borla or any other catback will not increase the propensity for your sill to melt. I think the stock cats can do it. What is nice about the Random Tech cats is that they are smaller. I even wrapped a bit of isolation around them because there was quite a bit of room left.

From what I heard, no cats is LOUD! Which is never a bad thing... ;)

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes HF Cats do smell under Full Throttle. They have that "Kids Cap Gun" smell.

No Cats... We'll they flat out stink. With the right setup, it is cool, flames out the back. Might melt your plastic car :)

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes HF Cats do smell under Full Throttle. They have that "Kids Cap Gun" smell.

Perfect explanation on how HF cats smell. I have been trying to figure out a way to explain it to others and this is excellent. I am hoping the smell will go away over time.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be concise. Cats reduce emissions through conversion and reduction processes. These processes are initiated when exhaust gases come into contact with platinum grade metals ("PGM" - primarily platinum and rhodium) which are wash-coated onto a honeycomb ceramic substrate secured inside the catalyst shell. Cats restrict exhaust flow to increase residence time - the time required to complete the catalytic processes. Reducing residence time (and at the same time back-pressure) increases exhaust flow which in turn increases power. There are points of diminishing returns in terms of both emission reduction and power gain. Theoretically, higher flows, and hence shorter residence times, require a higher PGM loading. Given the price of after-market (A/M) cats, I doubt such higher loadings are actually applied. Enough to pass state mandated I/M tests, but highly unlikely that they could pass a full blown FTP (Federal Test Procedure) which OEM's are required to pass. Bottom line, A/M cats reduce back-pressure, residence time and heat, while increasing emissions, exhaust flow and power.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put RT Hi flows on from Jon & I love them. My sills are soooo much cooler & it makes the car sound a little meaner.

my.02
Andy

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran the Borla cat-back with stock cats for a year before switching to the RT high flow cats. Never had an issue with melting the side sill before the change and the sill is MUCH cooler with the RT high flow cats!!!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I am looking for people to post what the purpose of the high flow cats are. What do they do? I heard they increase horsepower, do you know by how much? What should I know about the high flows?

This just comes up because I was at a meeting with a few members of the region and was told that if I do not put the high flow cats on that I can melt the side sills because of the Borla Cat-Back Exhaust. It can overheat the stock cats and cause melting in the sills.

Any info would be great.

Thanks again

Keith
Keith, call Chuck Tator 914 763.3136 and have him purchase Sean's HF cats (he's an authorized Roe AND Dodge Dealer) and install them for you! Period...end of story. You'll thank me later, especially for introducing you to Chuck!

BTW- You may want to shorten up on that sig. ;)

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that high-flow CATS would actually run cooler in the sills..since there's less obstruction the heat would dissipate faster.

Cheers

Jeff

P.S Mike nice Avatar ! I bet your the king **** in Quebec . :D Y a gotta love the snow in the background.
Trudeau would be proud :cool:

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which cats are better?

Roe or Random Tech? Any input?

I know many guys swear by Random Tech. I love mine. I only heard of one person who had some of the welds come loose, they returned it and get new ones. If they come from JonB and he recommends them, I wouldn't hesitate.

Check out their website. Random Tech

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had the top of the line random tech substrate $500 cats
and this is what i found.
Too loud with the B&B cat back for the RT/10 IMHO.
with the hardtop off you couldnt hold a conversation when on the gas.
Even though it made the sidesills flat out cool,and only luke warm after a drive.
and sounded like it was ready for the track...
So after only a few hundred miles they were removed and sold and the stockers but back on
and now it sounds just perfect.
hope this helps
Jim

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you notice smell from the lack of cats,high flow cats or have the shift arrow show up in 1ST gear then you are driving WAY TOO SLOW! Bruce

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4