Quick Question About Timing Chain Cover Gasket

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the dreaded timing chain cover leak and I'm getting reay to replace it. It's all torn down and I have the new cover gasket along with a water pump and oil filter adapter gasket. Question on the timing chain cover gasket. The new one has a very thin bead of rubber on one side. Does it matter which side this goes on (against the block or the cover itself)? If I remember right when I was cleaning the mounting surface of the block, there was a little bit of this old strip left on that surface so my thinking is that side goes against the block. My other question is should I still run a bead of red high temp gasket maker on this side? I plan on least putting some on the back side of the gasket.

Big E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't like to do a job like this over again so I aways run a thin film of silicone on both sides. Just enough to make the gasket "tacky" and to provide a good seal. Hope this helps. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah..... I noticed. One too many *** and cokes when I posted :rolleyes: .. Anyways, she's all back together and no leaks after some hard runs! WOOHOOO!

the gasket will only go on one way. so you cant put it on wrong.