R&R Crossover Gaskets -- Any Tips?

jayriddle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the dreaded water leak from the passenger side crossover gasket of my '94. I've read on here that they're a PITA, but not impossible, to replace without removing the intake manifold.

I've got the cowl off and the crossover housing torx bolts out, but I don't see how it's possible to get the crossover housing out of the car in the small space between the intake and the windshield.

What's the secret -- do I have to detach the T-stat housing to get the crossover housing out?

Tips appreciated,
Jay R.
1994 RT/10, 90K miles

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
reattach the crossover temporarily and take apart the housing. Take your time. The worst part is putting the housing back together. I recommend finger tighten the housing bolts, then finger tighten the crossover bolts, then wrench everythings down tight.

OP
OP
J

jayriddle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I do need to detach the T-stat housing first and take them out seperately. Makes sense -- I see no other way. I'll reinsert the crossover housing bolts before I take off the T-stat housing, and go from there.

I also assume that once the T-stat housing is detached, that gasket cannot be reused and must be replaced, too.

Thanks for the reply.

Jay R.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't have to do what you did because I had my manifold off bit Tator recommended you use the black atv sealant on the new gaskets so I did.

OP
OP
J

jayriddle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black ATV sealant -- OK, thanks for that tip.

Actually, while removing the torx bolts on the crossover housing, I discovered that one of the bolts was loose -- not even hand-tight. So, the gasket may not even be the culprit -- one of the crossover housing bolts just may have worked it's way loose, causing the leak.

I know it's not recommended, but in a pinch can you recompress (reuse) those crossover gaskets? In other words, if I just torque down the bolts on the crossover housing, will the old gasket form a good seal?

I ask only because I want to take the car on a trip to Laughlin, NV this weekend, and I don't think I'm going to have time to do the whole R&R gasket project. But if I can just retorque those bolts and be on the road, I might be tempted to try it....

OP
OP
J

jayriddle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried it, and it didn't work. I retorqued the bolts at the crossover and fired her up. Leaks everywhere. Gotta replace the gasket once it's been compressed

GTSDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just done this recently, and must say I was the same as you, I couldn't see any way that I could get the housing out with the manifold still in place... In the end, (with a little encouragement from Baz), I removed the manifold bolts and shifted it forward enough to give me some space. Baz and I completely removed the manifold to replace the housing though, as it was SO much easier with it out of the way, and having done it, not half as much of a nightmare as it first appeared... I was having cold sweats whilst unbolting the manifold... You will need two people to remove the manifold and lift it free, and obviously replacement manifold gaskets with Chuck supplied for me along with the other parts I needed... Another thing worth considering whilst you're in there, is a lower temperature thermostat if you haven't already done it...
It's not as bad as it first looks... Good Luck!

OP
OP
J

jayriddle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate all the helpful reponses, but I ended up having the car hauled to the dealer before I got it done. I didn't really give up (in my mind, at least), but rather realized that there was just no way I could finish this project before the weekend when I really need the car for a trip.

To those who have successfully gotten these gaskets replaced without moving the manifold, you have my respect and admiration -- it is not easy.