RACED A DIABLO VT

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO ONCE AGAIN I COUGHT MY SELF ON THIS CLOSED ROAD IN MEXICO. BUT THIS ONE WAS DIFFERANT, THERE WAS FERRARIS, PORSHES AND VETTES THERE. NOW I SPOTTED THIS BLUE DIABLE VT, I MADE THE MUCH NEEDED U-TURN. NOW IM RIGHT BEHIND THIS GUY AND MY BLOOD BEGAN TO BOIL. I COULD HARDLY WAIT FOR THE DIABLO TO NAIL THE GAS. WE MADE A RIGHT AT THE LIGHT AND HE FIGURED OUT THAT I WAS BEHIND HIM IN MY 99 RT. KEEP IN MIND THE CAR IS STOCK MINUS THE REAR MUFFLER DELETE OPTION.

HE FLOORS THE DIABLO AND GETS THE JUMP AND IM RIGHT BEHIND HIM. HE PULLED SLIGHTLY, BUT HE DID JUMP FIRST. THIS WENT ON FOR A WHILE. WE ROAD SIDE BY SIDE IN FIRST JUST WAITING FOR ONE OF US TO JUMP FIRST. WE DID THIS FOR SO LONG THAT MY CAR BEGAN TO RUN HOT. I COULDNT BELIEVE THAT MY TEMP GAUGE RED 230. IT REALLY MADE ME FEEL LIKE I WAS DRIVING A PILE OF NUTS AND BOLTS COMPARED TO THIS 250K DOLLAR ITALIAN DREAM. ANYWAY, WERE BOTH IN FIRST, HE JUMPS OUT BEFORE I WAS READY. HE GETS A HALF OF CAR BEFORE I EVEN GET THE GAS DOWN TO THE FLOOR. SO I NAIL IT, I SLOWED HIM RIGHT DOWN, HE GRABS SECOND SO DO I AND THE CARS ARE DEAD EVEN WITH HIM IN THE THE FRONT B/C OF THE JUMP IN THE BEGINNING.

MY QUESTION IS THAT I THOUGHT THESE CARS WERE NO MATCH. THE VIPER IS SUPPOSED TO BE FASTER RIGHT. SO WHY COULDNT I WALK ON HIM.

I NEED TO GET TO DOUG LEVINS SHOP, AND SOON.....

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year was the diablo?
Either way, they have very strong top end, 202mph top speed.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I think it's the other way around. A Diablo VT should spank a stock Viper. Could be close but the 6.0 V-12 should walk you pretty good.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Because the L147 project (successor to Diablo) was being re-evaluated by new owner Audi, the Diablo had to receive one more update in year 2000 to fill the time gap. The 6.0 VT was the result. Audi designer facelifted the body, mainly in nose and tail. Nearly the whole body was made of carbon-fiber panels, excluding the aluminium doors and steel roof. Magnesium was used in cylinder heads, intake manifolds and the 18-inch wheels. But dry weight was up to 1625kg because of compulsory 4WD and quite a lot of equipment.

The V12 was bored out to 6.0 litres, in addition to titanium connecting rods (from the GT), lighter crankshaft, individual coil-on-plug ignition and two-stage variable exhaust (for complying noise regulation without losing power), it pumped out 550 hp and 458 lbft. Compare with the GT, it didn?t have the ram-air intake on the roof (hence saving a rear-vision camera) and hotter cam timing.

Like the GT, the 6.0 VT got wider tracks front and rear. In particular, there was 60 mm added to the front to improve turn-in response as well as stability. However, it didn?t steer as sharp as the lightweight SV, especially the viscous-coupling 4-wheel drive introducing quite an amount of understeer approaching the limit. In terms of performance, it was also slower than the SV, blamed to nearly 200 kg of extra weight it carried.

Interior was trimmed with carbon-fiber panel while position of pedals and gear lever were also improved a little bit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:
Actually I think it's the other way around. A Diablo VT should spank a stock Viper. Could be close but the 6.0 V-12 should walk you pretty good.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey MES if you believe the magazines the Viper is faster to 150 than the VT, and the Viper wasnt driven by Jamie or Evan
laugh.gif
....The VT also got a best mph of 117mph in the 1/4 R&T....Its also about 4000lbs so the hp advantage it has over the Viper would only manifest after the Viper toped out at 186-192MPH...Similar to the 550 Maranello...Now if you take them on from a 80mph+ it may be a different story....From a dead dig you would beat both......

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your right snakebite, but I think even you could drive a viper around a diablo, and if you can't stop by and see me and I will teach you how. SMC is new at this stuff if you read his other posts. I am not sure why you he let his car get hot though, why wait.

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TRUE, IM NEW TO THE VIPER SCENE. HOWEVER, IVE STREET RACED ALL MY LIFE IN LOTS OF DIFFERANT SPORTS CARS. ANYWAY, THE CAR GOT HOT AS I HELD IT IN FIRST GEAR AROUND 4500 RPM OR SO WAITING FOR THE DIABLO TO JUMP. THIS WENT ON FOR ONLY 15 TO 20 SECONDS. THE VIPER SHOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE THIS. I GUESS DODGE FELL ALITTLE SHORT WITH THE PLANNING OF THERE COOLING SYSTEM. HEY MAYBE THE GEN 3 WILL GET IT RIGHT. ITS ONLY BEEN 11 YEARS GUYS, SOON A WELL THOUGHT OUT CAR WILL ARRIVE FROM DODGE. DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH THOUGH.........

MAYBE ITS TIME TO TASTE WHAT THE ITALIANS ARE MAKING OVER SEAS........HUMMMMM....

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamie furman:
Your right snakebite, but I think even you could drive a viper around a diablo, and if you can't stop by and see me and I will teach you how. SMC is new at this stuff if you read his other posts. I am not sure why you he let his car get hot though, why wait.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
I was just thumbing through an older R&T and it had the Lambo "GT" in it...Now that would be a better match for the Viper...3200lbs[think its a misprint?]567hp..It did the 1/4 in 11.7 @ 121mph and topped out at 203mph. With that power to weight it should have been way faster than that...Sounds like a lightweight version specially made for the track a la M3 lightweight. Or its definately a misprint on the weight...Its probably the meanest looking of the Diablo's with that big wide air intake in front.....

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've read lambos are a slouch from a stop. I remember reading an article in R&T about a year ago that had a new diablo AWD and it ran something like [email protected] or somethign like that. Yaawn, I'd rather have a porsche GT2, after the Viper of course.

Craig

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELL I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THIS LAMBO HAD MUFFLER WORK AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE. THERES KNOW WAY THIS CAR WAS A SLOUCH. IT GOT UP AND RAN. I DONT BELIEVE THOSE 12.8 FIGURES. DONT BE FOOLED, THOSE LAMBOS RUN ALITTLE FASTER THEN A STOCK VIPER......

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamie furman:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jamie, I agree. I raced a yellow VT Roadster from 60 to 120-130 and pulled him by 3-4 cars, no problem. My car just has headers and no cats/470 RWHP and 510 RW/LBS/FT.I also had my side sills off at the time as I had been checking the o2 sensors. So I looked like the " Beverly Hillbillies " pulling up next to this guy=&gt; Just my luck! Paolo

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SMCBUILDERSINC:
WELL I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THIS LAMBO HAD MUFFLER WORK AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE. THERES KNOW WAY THIS CAR WAS A SLOUCH. IT GOT UP AND RAN. I DONT BELIEVE THOSE 12.8 FIGURES. DONT BE FOOLED, THOSE LAMBOS RUN ALITTLE FASTER THEN A STOCK VIPER......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not doubting it was fast (they are very fast) but this was from a roll not a stop right?

I'll scan the article this thursday and post it when I get home.
Though this was in R&T and they can't drive.
Craig

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SMC your car shouldn't be getting hot that quick, my supercharged car is not intercooled and has a stock cooling system and never runs over 200 degree's. I would take it in for service and tell them it doesn't seem to be running right and it overheats and have them check it out.As far as Italian goes I am partial to ferrari and I love my 360 but its not quite as fast as a viper and performance mods are super limited and expensive as is the car, so I don't think you would be ahead of the game. Your in the right car and I don't think many if any owners are feeling the car is inadaquate, no offense but maybe there is a problem with your car.

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Motor Trend Road Test Results the 2000 Lamborghini Diablo VT runs 11.8 at 120 mph. The Viper in Motor Trend Road Test Results only runs 12.3 at 118 mph. I know the Viper can run faster but so could the Diablo with some one like Jamie F. driving.
So the Diablo might just be faster than a bone stock Viper.

Im going to race a guy who has one of these in 3 weeks.
So I will tell u guys if it is as fast as I think.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SMC,

The Diablo has spanned over 10 years with little change to the body style. The various models have differing performance weight and power.

Here's a smattering of numbers:

1990 Diablo
0-60 4.5
1/4 mi. 13.3

1994 Diablo VT
3600lbs
0-60 4.6
1/4 mi. 13.2

1999 Diablo GT $310K (83 sold)
3220lbs, +80hp
0-60 3.7
1/4 mi. 11.6

2000 Diablo VT $275K
0-60 4.0
1/4 mi. 11.9

It appears that the earlier models are not as quick as our Gen II Vipers, and the '99 and newer models are about the same or maybe a bit faster than a stock Viper.

But at roughly $300K he probably figured that he could dust you off with no problem, and was more disappointed than you were that you could stick with him.

As far as the overheating goes, I say that you should have your car checked out. Many of the Vipers here are regularly run on the track circuits at high revs for a much longer periods of time without overheating problems.

And simply adding headers, high flow cats, and exhaust (and/or N20)would change the balance of power back into your favor.

-Dean.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the last time i raced a Porsche 993 TT (96-97?) with my diablo i was a head about 3-4 cars, and its was a short race, 4days ago was driving and i saw a new 996TT i asked the guy if he like 2 race my 360 modena so he said yes but we have 2 go 2 a long road i said ok
frown.gif
then when i was driving i heard a very loud sound so i looked at the mirror and i saw dark blue car, honestly i ignored him without even knowing the car! so anyway i just get out from the roundabout so we can start and at once i heard a very very loud sound and BoOOoOoM BooOOM, someone hit me from the back, its just like slow motion my car lost grip i was trying 2 hold it in a straight line but I couldn’t, ran over a pavement 20m maybe thanks god its was late so nobody is walking! I really opened my door and walked 2 the guy and I was angry, first I said to him hay what are you doing we are racing not fighting then I start swearing and the poor guy he is listing and he each time I swear he replay man im sorry I know its my fault I lost control ba ba ba ab, so really he was polite he said don’t worry my insurance will pay you, I said I know but its not the way its goes we are talking about life’s here, but what a car he owns it’s a skyline GTR 800HP (as he said 2 me) No NOS (where do you hide this bottle) J , anyway I called the ferrari garage to lift my car, the funny part is the Porsche guy came and he was talking 2 me all the time (not a good time for friendship) also before that the skyline guy said 2 me I raced that Porsche and a kicked his *** and when the Porsche guy arrived he change the subject (liar) it’s a fast car and I heard about it but he lied about the Porsche anyway the Porsche guy he lift me home and we talked and today I saw him cruising I asked him if I can invite him to have some coffee (just to say thanks) and he agreed. Guys always drive safe
smile.gif

You must be registered for see images

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your accident, but at least nobody was hurt.

Thanks for your info on the Lamborghini. It's always good to hear opinions from real owners.
How does the Diablo feel compared to the GTS?
Have you ever run the Diablo at the track?
My understanding is that most Diablo owners don't 1/4 mile race their cars because the clutch can break and costs $4K to replace.

-Dean.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Snakester
smile.gif
i never went to a track before
frown.gif
i wish one day .. but street racing WOW i love it, maybe because i love 2 think 2 much, i mean there is a car lift one right.. can I? hear other people engines near me + he is a good driver + i have 2 shift faster + i hear the winds + my hands sweating etc.. i think more adrenaline here than just a straight line, i cant talk about tracks anyway
smile.gif
and about the Diablo Vs. GTS hmmm.Diablo its a fat fast car, some mags says Diablo its a 30min car..hmm i dont see this sorry but when i drive my GTS i feel it, the interior gets hot epically near the gear and at the sides, its get really hot sometimes, in the other hands the Diablo engine i call it theDrunkEngine.. really each time each week i have check engine L or R, nothing is there just errors, battery hard 2 change (i was shocked viper bat are the same) Diablo parts expensive and not available always, but is she fast yes i did more than 202M/325km i think i was with a friend and believe me if i say i cant hear him talking, so what about the viper, its for me more harder 2 drive no AWD,ASR,EBD..ets more fun u can knock other people cars with the Diablo but power is nothing without control, so i feel me in the viper i do mistakes and really im learning from them, anyway its not fair if im going to compare the Diablo and GTS i love them both
smile.gif
and love is blind ........!

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as you like street stuff,why not drive with a loaded gun,a little Juice could have saved the day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi