Racing Brake Pads?

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on what are the best (or worst) brake pads for use on the track with the SRT stock rotors? I’m not looking for duel-purpose, low dust, no squeel, etc., pads. I want the pads that can best handle (and isolate) the heat and best stop the car under road course driving conditions. Anyone have any favorites, thoughts, or recommendations on a brand to get or to stay away from??? Thanks!

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have started using the Comp Coupe pads on the front and stock on the rear. They are much better at stopping the car, BUT only use them on the front. I put them on the rear and the car was scary in braking. It won't stop straight and the back end jumped around ALOT. Upon discussing this with Russ from Archer Racing and explaining what was happening and what I had done, he said I had too much brake in the rear. He suggested putting the stock pads back on the rear. I did so and the difference was unbeleivable. The car stops straight and fast. The pads are $205.00 per set (part # 04898012AA)and can be ordered directly through Viper Race Headquarters @ 1-888-960-3333. I also suggest installing the brake cooling ducts also for a CC. They are a bit of a pain to install as some modifications need to be made to the hood that mounts on the caliper, but cool brakes are effective brakes. Thats why I had Autoform install them two weeks ago.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said! :) (But brake pads are also availalbe through Archer Racing and they can bring them directly to VIR next month!!!!)

Changing out the rears will give you too much rear brake - the Comp Coupes can solve that some with alignment and rear wing, but even then, some of those guys have gone to a smaller diameter rotor and back to a street pad.

The brake cooling ducts are a work of art - not cheap, but do a VERY good job, and, change the hotter pad to the OUTSIDE - much easier to check pad wear on a track weekend if you know the outer pad will wear faster.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with the above, and offer a good alternative, goldilocks style.

BRAKEMAN 3 COMPOUND may be "JUST RIGHT" at front and rear.....and is well-familiar to Viper Track Rats..... Wider temp range....less grabby..... friendlier to rotors than VCC pads. Better use-value as well.

And you can choose to leave them in for street use if you dont mind dust and squeek.

$225 / set from PartsRack... MSRP $283

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone explain to a non-ABS owner how the different pads would affect braking? The only thing I can figure is that under non-ABS conditions you have too much rear, so you actually have a choice of letting up or braking more (so the ABS controls rather than the grabby pads?) TIA.

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom -

Great question. I'll let one of the smarter people (like janni :) ) take a shot at the answer.

It did bring up another question - when the ABS kicks on, does it independently brake just the wheel that slip (first) or is that stability control?

Interested to see the answer.

BTW - I used the porterfield R4s and the Porche air deflectors + Motul brake fluid in my 1999 GTS. I ran stock pads on the back because they did not get enough use to ever get heated up.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have started using the Comp Coupe pads on the front and stock on the rear. They are much better at stopping the car, BUT only use them on the front. I put them on the rear and the car was scary in braking. It won't stop straight and the back end jumped around ALOT. Upon discussing this with Russ from Archer Racing and explaining what was happening and what I had done, he said I had too much brake in the rear. He suggested putting the stock pads back on the rear. I did so and the difference was unbeleivable. The car stops straight and fast. The pads are $205.00 per set (part # 04898012AA)and can be ordered directly through Viper Race Headquarters @ 1-888-960-3333. I also suggest installing the brake cooling ducts also for a CC. They are a bit of a pain to install as some modifications need to be made to the hood that mounts on the caliper, but cool brakes are effective brakes. Thats why I had Autoform install them two weeks ago.

Do you use the Comp Coupe pads in the front for everyday driving, of just for track days?

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai SRT 10, I have left them on the car only because I haven't been driving the car much in between events. That being said they are not very good for street driving, unless you get them hot, braking feels like you have a very badly warped rotor. If you do a lot of street driving I would recommend them only for track events. But you would have to make sure you keep track of which bads came off where so you can put them back in the same place, then bed them in a little before you start driving.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We at AtRo Racing sell a brake pad set that eliminates all the brake dust and improves your braking performance. The cost of the set is 399.95 which includes UPS in the lower 48 states of the USA.

Robbie

AtRo Racing Products
203-641-8569
[email protected]

OP
OP
V

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BRAKEMAN 3 COMPOUND may be "JUST RIGHT" at front and rear.....and is well-familiar to Viper Track Rats..... Wider temp range....less grabby..... friendlier to rotors than VCC pads. Better use-value as well.

And you can choose to leave them in for street use if you dont mind dust and squeek.

Brakeman 3 rock! I used them for the first time driving with Chin Montorsports last weekend at VIR and I cannot believe how much better they work than the stock pads. :2tu:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brakeman 3 rock! I used them for the first time driving with Chin Montorsports last weekend at VIR and I cannot believe how much better they work than the stock pads. :2tu:

Front and rear, or just fronts?

OP
OP
V

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front and rear, and I had no issues with the rear end getting loose. However, I was braking so hard at the end of the front straight that the front end would briefly "wobble" side-to-side when I first got on the brakes. I didn't feel as if my control was compromised, but rather that the car was doing everything it could to stop quickly. (I have a 13MB video of a lap and then some going around VIR where you can see the “wobble” if anyone is interested.) The difference between the stock pads and the Brakemans was dramatic. I had two other Viper owners (one of which posts on this board and might chime in on the brakes) ask me what I had done to my brakes. Just the pads, man, just the pads.

It is my understanding that Brakeman has been making the BM3s for the SRT now for only a few months. My spare/replacement set is already on the way from PartsRack. :D

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I experience the same "wobble" under max braking with stock pads. It seems lilke it is related to the ABS system. Most noticeable when braking hard (I mean HARD) in the 90-120 mph range). Less noticeable when the pads are overheating and losing grip.

04 Black GA Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the chance to ride in Vipera Russelli's viper at VIR last weekend. I also have on 04 viper, but with fewer mods. I was very impressed with the braking power his car had over mine. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with driver ability and experience, but the Brakeman brake pads seemed superior to my stock pads. I'll probably switch pads when these wear out.

Cindi Lux

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did a lot of brake testing last spring with our T1 SRT10 Vipers. We tested 3 different types of brake pads and combinations on the cars.

In our testing we evaluated stopping distance, stable platform under braking, turn in and handling, heat, and wear on rotors. Granted, we get pretty picky on our cars trying to find the absolute best for competition.

At the end, we found the Mintex F2 Compound (same ones used on the CC that you can get at Viper Race HQ) on the front and rear works great . But the car can "wonder" around a tad bit under hard breaking. :eek:

If that is uncomfortable for some, then I would really suggest throwing on the stock pads on the rear and life will be great. Stopping distance will almost be the same with a lot more confidence! :2tu:

Just thought I would to toss in our .02 cents.

If anybody has any additional questions, pls let me know.

Cindi Lux

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I put a set of Brakeman 3's on my 01 GTS ACR and they work much better than stock pads. Also, you can just leave them on if you want. They work quite well on the street, though they are dusty and squeaky, as Jon B says.

Glad to hear they work well on the SRT as I will be replacing those pads soon with more Brakeman 3's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang