Radar detectors ?????

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just purchased the Valentine radar detector anyone have any input obout this unit ?

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you get used to the arrows, you will not want another unit. One of the best in the market.

VIPERUSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Banshe,, if you come up saturday,, talk to Brakedust,,,i'm pretty sure he has one. with the amount of cops,, i will be next to get one. GOOD LUCK with it

:usa::usa::usa::usa:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
should have searched. V1 is antique now.

RadarTest.com - Best radar detector reviews from the world's most respected authority.

My last years model (no gps) SRX has laser scramblers and the front radar detection unit (mounted in the grille opening) is more than double the size of the V1 unit. I also have a Laser sensor front and rear with laser scramblers. Unit is invisible and has audio inside the console with an LED and the 'old style' visual display which I mounted above the sun visor.

The new portable Bell sti and ****** 9500i units have gps and will give you speed camera locations before the cameras blast you. They get uploaded new GPS info from the internet free.

The new Passport ****** 9500ci (custom install) has all the features of the SR7 and SRX units with GPS. However, it's cost is prohibitive at $1800 wholesale.

V1 is the most unreliable unit money can buy because they usually get about 70% false alarms. Bell/Passport get occaissional false alarms.

Ted

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried everything. If you want the longest range the V1 is the best. I would rather have to slow down for a false alarm then not have enough time to slow doen for the real thing. Trust V1 is the best

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you read the radar test site? The V1 may sight radar the tineiest bit sooner than the Bell and the ****** portable units ... but I've never seen it compared to a custom instal $1800 unit. I don't see that being a tiny percentage more sensitive makes any difference. My 1 year old 'old' SRX unit detects radar within 3 miles in the mountains so if it was a 100 yards more - irrelevant. I don't think a false alarm every mile or two is worth paying attention to meaning that after so many false alarms the actual real detection can be ignored (like I did in Wisconsin) resulting in a ticket. My SRX has only given me 1 false signal in the year that I've owned it (grocery store).

The V1 hardware ix exactly the same as it was 5 years ago. One of the few detectors that has not been improved in many years.

Although it hasn't gone down in price.

Speed cameras are not all radar signalled. Greedy Politicains now love the radar cameras that are signalled by cables buried in the road bed - that's right, there's no radar signal to detect, you get busted!

Hence the GPS was invented. After a few months of use the mechanically activated cameras are programmed into GPS radar detectors so that the detector give a warning of radar - even though there is no signal from the radar camera. The Bell sti and Excort 9500i alert you to the presence of the radar camera a mile before the camera takes your pic/money/license.

The V1 being from the old days has no internet capability, no GPS, and no program to eliminate false signals from your route.

Sorry but the V1 is antique. Depending on how greedy the politicains get the GPS will be the future. Unless you live in BC where Speed/radar cameras have been banned for a couple years??? I bought an ****** 9500i (portable windshield sticker) for all my other cars and still have last years SRX built into my Viper.

Has V1 got Laser scramblers? Of course not, you need an SRX or 9500ci for that.

If you read the site I posted (RadarTest.com - Best radar detector reviews from the world's most respected authority.) you'll learn tons about radar detectors and learn about the new radar units being used against you. It took me about a day to read all pertinent info on that site.

But ... buy whatever makes you happy.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried everything. If you want the longest range the V1 is the best. I would rather have to slow down for a false alarm then not have enough time to slow doen for the real thing. Trust V1 is the best

I have to agree. I also like the simplicity and size of the unit. They also provide (at a cost) software upgrades. A basic plug and play unit. :2tu:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand these units will read and record common radar false alarm locations too. (Building alarms etc.) The purpose being the operator knows this GPS bookmarked location is a false alarm location.

What happens if a cop shooting radar sets up in one of the "GPS zones"?

Does the cop sit and write ticket after ticket because the GPS enhanced unit signaled "false"?

Just wondering...:dunno:

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a detector soon so I'm following along with this, and although I've heard for years that the V1 is untouchable I'm open to other options...
It seems like the V1 will not miss a real "threat," its greatest liability is being too sensitive and therefore triggering more false "threats" than other, newer units?
If I'm reading that right then I think I'd be fine with that. At the moment all I have to go on is intuition, so when I'm driving through an area where I know cops like the median, or a specific exit ramp or whatever I'm extra careful as it is. I'm looking for a detector to NEVER give me a false "all clear" more so than limiting false alarms. If it's blaring false alarms in an area I'm cautious about already then what's the difference? I'd be dogging it there either way.
Is it possible that the "right" radar detector has more to do with the personality of the user than the sensitivity of the unit??? of course anyone who is going to ignore all/most of the information it gives you may as well buy something at RS for 50 bucks and go take some heat off the rest of us.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you wnat facts then go to RadarTest.com - Best radar detector reviews from the world's most respected authority. and spend a couple days reading data, like I did.

Modern radar is usually turned on when even a Cobra $49 special will tell you that you just got a ticket, con't neeed to spend $500 for that. If your state allows detectors then that's good because the V1 is easily read by Radar Detector detectors. If you only drive in states where speed cameras are illegal you don't need GPS capability which the V1 doesn't have. If you have no interest in using laser scramblers (which V1 doesn't have) and false signals are OK then you could get a V1 becuase it's just as good at picking out radar as the Bell Sti and the ****** 8500 and 9500i. The 2% better sensitivity is irrelevant.

I wrote my story on another thread and after getting only 15 false signals from my $49 Cobra I tore it off the windwo and threw it in the back seat. Yup, that was the Cop signal.

A couple guys here use V1, but most of the Viper Club guys that drive out front at higher speeds than the 'normal' drivers all use the ****** SRX or the 9500ci because of the HUGE radar sensor and multiple laser sensors as well as the laser scramblers. The cops in BC and washington often use Laser. SRX gives you a chance ... V1 might tell you that you got tagged. The V1 may also NOT tell you because the Laser beam is about 30" wide and aimed at healdights and license plates your mirror mount V1 will probably be out of the Laser's beam. My Laser sensor and scramblers mount in the grille at plate high right beside the license plate (except I don't run a front plate). The rear plate bracket has a radar and laser sensor mounted at the top of the plate (with my SRX).

The SRX and 9500ci have sensors bigger than the entire V1 unit and I would imagine that the grille mounted, massive radar sensor, it would be much more sensitive than a little V1 receiving a signal through glass and surrounded by metal? Unfortunately, there is no testing done on the SRX, SR7 and 9500ci units. They are a 6 hour installation job and a lot more than double the price. Although the Bell Sti and Excort 9500i are same price as the V1.

Ted

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used V1's for a number of years and the only ticket I've received was 2+ years ago from an instant-on gun in my 4-Runner. I hear what Ted is saying, but until Johnny-Law shows me that they are investing in the technology that he is mentioning, I'll stick with what I've got. My opinion is that they can write as many tickets as they can 24 hours a day with the old technology guns...why would they spend the money to upgrade guns when their budgets are blown paying salaries causing them to lose their jobs. Just my .02 ;).

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the arrows and bogey counter the V1 provides. I've only gotten one ticket in the many years I've used the V1 and that was in MD where the cop used the POP feature of his gun to tag me. My V1 didn't pick that up back then. It will now though since I had it updated. The radar gun manufacturer does state in their manuals that police should not use POP readings to write a citation. They should use it only to get a quick estimate of speed prior to hitting you with the real thing. Either way I'll put up with the occasional false alarm from a V1 to get its sensitivity, arrows, and bogey counter. I did add another brand's laser jammer to my 06 though just to be safe.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... I did add another brand's laser jammer to my 06 though just to be safe.

How easy is it to combine devices like this? How much does a laser jammer add to the cost and how much more complicated is the wiring involved?

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Radartest.com is not the best site for reviews, to long to explain, but guysoflidar.com is the best. V1 is a good unit, I use it but it is starting to slip and others are performing better.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand these units will read and record common radar false alarm locations too. (Building alarms etc.) The purpose being the operator knows this GPS bookmarked location is a false alarm location.

What happens if a cop shooting radar sets up in one of the "GPS zones"?

Does the cop sit and write ticket after ticket because the GPS enhanced unit signaled "false"?

Just wondering...:dunno:

My last trip of 1,000+ miles I had one false/building signal in Vancouver. When you set the GPS memory it also records the frequency so that when a cop shoots you right in front of the building the radar detector Detects it. The GPS units cancel the unique signal, they don't shut off the radar detection.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Since there's hardly any data (1 page) it doesn't take very long to read it. I learned that there are many different V1s and only a few are good. It looks like (in their tests) the Bell StiR would probably be my choice.

Sporadic and incomplete testing of many detectors (8500 & 9500ci) allow no reliable conclusions.

There was also no false signal testing? no frequencies listed for popular building frequencies. No testing of adaptive or GPS capabilities. Although there was a test on a corner, the other site had side testing, because sometimes there are cops/radar on other streets coming towards us.

On their Radar Detector Detector testing I found it interesting that although the Bell STi was undetectable, the 9500 was detectable at half the distance of the V1. Information I read stated that the ****** was insulated/shielded (same as the Bell)while the V1 has no insulation whatsoever. (V1 Worst choice for states, and Ontario, that disallow detectors.)

I also found no information on the safety messages that are displayed on the Excort display, (Fire Truck, Road Construction, Ambulance, Road closed, etc.). Having "SAFETY EQUIPMENT" instead of a "Breaking the law" equipment could make a HUGE difference when dealing with an insurance company or a court case.

Ted

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since no one is manufacturing or selling detectors here, why all the concern about being right? I seriously doubt that either of the 2-3 detectors mentioned in this thread are particularly better than the others. A lot of the preference is also based on your location and what you typically encounter when you drive.

Point is, is there really a need to begin a discussion of the websites that review detectors? There's no doubt that V1's are tried and proven. I'd venture to say that a majority of Viper owners choose them (based on years of discussion on this site). Is the SRX a better detector? Maybe so. But I'd suggest that the differences with regard to detection are just not that great. Like the extra bells and whistles of GPS...then your decision is easier.

I guess my beef is in the trashing of any of these units. They're all excellent.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How easy is it to combine devices like this? How much does a laser jammer add to the cost and how much more complicated is the wiring involved?

Wasn't complicated to install at all. The only hard part, and it wasn't hard, was pulling a wire into the cabin to hook up an LED so that I would know when it was triggered (it flashes at start up and anytime it detects Laser). If you don't need the LED then the whole thing can be wired in the engine compartment. I didn't put rear facing laser jammers on as cops tend not to shoot you from behind. I don't remember the price though, sorry. The V1 I just move from car to car. I only have the jammer on my 06 coupe because I do a lot of long distance driving with it on interstates. Around town I'm generally not speeding.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valentine has worked pretty well for me in West Coast travels. Has picked up quite a few cops traveling in front and behind me. It has a sensitivity switch City/Hwy that can be used to reduce falses in town.

Best feature is arrows that can tell if the radar is in front of you, to the side (along frontage roads) of behind.

Over the years radar detectors leapfrog over each other, but for a good quality, plug and play detector, the Valentine works well.

I have had it upgraded a couple times. Each time they sent me a totally new unit for a upgrade price.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Valentine has worked pretty well for me in West Coast travels. Has picked up quite a few cops traveling in front and behind me. It has a sensitivity switch City/Hwy that can be used to reduce falses in town.

Best feature is arrows that can tell if the radar is in front of you, to the side (along frontage roads) of behind.

Over the years radar detectors leapfrog over each other, but for a good quality, plug and play detector, the Valentine works well.

I have had it upgraded a couple times. Each time they sent me a totally new unit for a upgrade price.

I understand that the ****** and Bell GPS units have at least 20 Interstate radar cameras programmed into their database. You get a mile advance warning. Because I plan to drive California I bought the new GPS ****** 9500i this year. Going south to the US (where speed cameras are legal and numerous) I'll use the little gps unit as well as my built in SRX.

I didn't purchase the 9500ci(custom instal) because the price was $1,000 more than my SRX's $1000 price tag. The $500 Cdn. 9500i is portable and what I use in all my other cars.

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude