Radiator Options, who's got which?

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a Davis, but it's leaking... again.:rolleyes:

The RD was fixed once, the ***** said it was as good as new, tested to 20lbs., 2years and less than 5000kms on it and it's leaking again. Don't have the reciept for it, so a return is not an option. I don't have the stock one, so that's out, too.

I read that the Fluidyne will not fit with the stock air box, what about the Alans?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I feel for you. My RDR leaked new out of the box. They replaced it after a large postage stamp to send it back, but there are enough stories accumulating to maybe put RDR on the avoid, or re-evaluate list.

I kept my OE radiator for those events like above.

There's a FE GTS radiator for $55 on ebay right now. I've been buying parts from him. Good seller.

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, 6666,
I like the way the RD fit, and if it didn't leak I'd recomend it to others, but...

I am looking for another alluminum rad, I guess. Just wanting to hear some other peoples experiences with the other two options, or if there are other ones available as well.

(I'm going to pull the one in the car out tonight, see where it is leaking...:mad:will post a pic if it doesn't go too late)

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a PWR made in Australia. Triple pass unit. Got it from West Coast Viper IIRC. Had the first one that arrived pressure tested before installation and it leaked. WCV was great about getting a new one out (I think they were more PO'd at PWR than I was). Fit great but is so thick I had to move the air box rearward about 1.25" and of course had to modify the fan a bit. Still going strong after a couple of years with no leaks.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have had absolutely horrible luck with RD radiators. I have a solid 100% failure rate for every single one we have installed that includes an integral oil cooler... luckily we put orders on hold after the first half dozen, as the issues came back on multiple cars within a month of each other. They tend to fail after about a year, seemingly from galvanic corrosion- though the system never shows an actual problem, and the number of different cars are great. RD always blames G.C. and sticks us with the bill- hmm, design defect guys? YA THINK with a failure rate like that!?!? we gave up on them a while back after being boned with 3 of the 6 failures in a row. They all fail at the same place, the leading edge of the core tubes right inboard of the top radiator hose.

So far so good with the Alans Triple Pass!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had absolutely horrible luck with RD radiators. I have a solid 100% failure rate for every single one we have installed that includes an integral oil cooler... luckily we put orders on hold after the first half dozen, as the issues came back on multiple cars within a month of each other. They tend to fail after about a year, seemingly from galvanic corrosion- though the system never shows an actual problem, and the number of different cars are great. RD always blames G.C. and sticks us with the bill- hmm, design defect guys? YA THINK with a failure rate like that!?!? we gave up on them a while back after being boned with 3 of the 6 failures in a row. They all fail at the same place, the leading edge of the core tubes right inboard of the top radiator hose.

So far so good with the Alans Triple Pass!

Mine doesn't have the oil cooler in it, and leaked on the tube sheet at the bottom near the drain plug.

The light orange stain (glycol) in the mirror zoom - 2nd pic - on the far right tube - is where I found it in the car. The final pic of course is the pay dirt pic.

You must be registered for see images

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just great, I have an RD radiator that has been in for 3-4 years now. I'll have to keep a close eye on it.
Is there a way to check for corrosion just by looking at the fluid or by having the radiator tested?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just great, I have an RD radiator that has been in for 3-4 years now. I'll have to keep a close eye on it.
Is there a way to check for corrosion just by looking at the fluid or by having the radiator tested?

I don't think there's any reason to go shopping yet. Maybe we have a case of isolated problems that have merged their stories here at the VCA? :dunno:

Just check your fascia bottle occasionally. Should do that anyway.

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I found. What a piece of crap. If anybody is considering a Ron Davis radiator, save your $$$, these things are junk, pure and simple. They do not stand behind thier product, and blame the end user for thier inferior construction. (Sorry, I could not get the image to load to this page)

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p299/97Aspman/IMG_1333.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p299/97Aspman/IMG_1367.jpg

Some of that gunk is what the rad shop used to "repair" it last time. What a very frustrating joke this has become.

I'd still like to hear from anyone using the Fluidyne rad.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased a RD
Never again, it leaked from new, was returned, at my expense, and it is still not right.
Plus I went through all the pain of installing, then removing, and reinstalling, not to mention time the car was off the road.
I live in the hope that it rots quickly, so I can get something else!
Worst thing I have ever added to the car.

Irid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alans triple pass has been fine for me. Have 8-10k miles on it.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Ron Davis #2 in. First one failed in less than a year.
Second one has not been there a year yet, so it will propably start leaking soon.

Just great....:clap2:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32