Radiator Suggestions????? Help, Please!

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay guys...

When I put the supercharger on I upgraded to an Alan's Triple Pass Radiator and I have had problems the entire time w/ leaks.

I finally got a chance to take it out and was told to take it to a radiator repair shop to see if they could fix it. (I knew where one of the pin holes was)

They told me yesterday that it had MULTIPLE pin holes (some in areas that could not be reached to be fixed) and that I might as well trash it because it was no good...

From what I understand, they are not going to warranty this product so I need some suggestions about what I should replace it with...

I have a 93 so my set-up is different. Has anybody ever been able to modify a "Gen II" radiator to fit on an early "Gen I"?

Is there any other high performance radiators out there for an early Gen I or should I go back to a stock radiator?

Thanks in advance :crazy2:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****. If you've been following all the recent radiator threads, I think the only one I haven't seen being dissed is the Alan's.

As far as the Gen1 - Gen2 thing goes... Expert I am not.

Have you contacted Alan's to see if they can put a new core in the one you have? Should cost less than a whole new one, and may reset the warranty clock.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a Ron Davis Racing radiator on my Roe S/C'd 94 RT-10........absolutely no problems, and staying cool in Phoenix in the summer with an S/C is saying something. A few people have had problems with them, but more than 95% have had great luck with them. Call JonB (Parts Rack) and ask his input!

OP
OP
V

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I talked with him a while back when I first realized that my problems were coming from the radiator and he told me to take it to a radiator shop and see if they could fix it... so.... I don't think I'm going to get much help there...

I did upgrade my fans to where I have a switch and can turn them on/off from inside the car, so I'm really thinking about going back with a factory radiator. I'm a Dodge dealer, so its MUCH cheaper for me to go that route... I'm just tired of the car wanting to overheat!

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a Ron Davis on my car for 18 months. It's done great in the TX heat and several track events. I don't know what the early vs late Gen1 differences are. One thing I have found out, the threads for the airbox screws are in a different spot and are metric.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran my stock radiator when I had my Roe for many years. It would run a little warm but never overheated. I have the GenII fan module and just kept the AC on all the time.

I changed to Alan's just recently too but don't have any leaking problems... so far. I guess I better keep my stock one just in case.

OP
OP
V

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never ran the factory radiator w/ my Roe (I changed it all at the same time) but when I was stock (and my factory radiator was not in the best shape anyway) it usually ran just shy of the yellow bar... with the Roe and the Alan's radiator (when it had just been filled and would work properly) I ran about 180 or so.

I don't know what to do, but summer is here and I need to do something fast! It hasn't been driven in 3 months!

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have a factory radiator w/ a supercharged or highly modified car?

Stock radiator here. '98 w/6.5lb Roe, 170 t-stat, 592rwhp. Sitting in traffic in Pigeon Forge this weekend (92-95 degrees, 100+heat index) never got above 215-220. Cruising speeds it stayed in the 170-190 range. Although, I do have a later Gen2 fan module also.

OP
OP
V

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Chip!

I see you guys had a good time... I hate I had to miss it! Maybe next year... :dunno:

When did you get the Roe? I know you like it.... :headbang:

That kind of temp would be good with me... I think I might try it anyway... if bad comes to worse I can always upgrade to Gen II's fans or change radiators again...

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chip!

I see you guys had a good time... I hate I had to miss it! Maybe next year... :dunno:

When did you get the Roe? I know you like it.... :headbang:

That kind of temp would be good with me... I think I might try it anyway... if bad comes to worse I can always upgrade to Gen II's fans or change radiators again...

Got it installed in April (Tony did it). Yeah, I like:D. I think the '00-02 fans are larger (someone else could probably tell you for sure, the differences). I switched mine a couple of years ago, and had a noticeable difference in temps.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read the threads dealing with problems with the Ron Davis radiators. I installed mine two years ago and have had no problems. It however is NOT the one with the integral oil cooler. Car has been much cooler in the highest heats of the Texas summer and also on the track. Just relaying my personal experience.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read the threads dealing with problems with the Ron Davis radiators. I installed mine two years ago and have had no problems. It however is NOT the one with the integral oil cooler. Car has been much cooler in the highest heats of the Texas summer and also on the track. Just relaying my personal experience.

Neither was the first one of mine that leaked out of the box.

OP
OP
V

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input guys... I know everything that is man made can have defects, but I am so limited having an early Gen I and I'm a little nervous about spending that much money on another possibly defective no-warranty radiator.

I talked w/ Sean Roe this afternoon because before I found out how bad a shape my radiator was in, I had talked with him about upgrading from 8# pulley to a 10# pulley.

After talking with him about all of my mods, driving conditions, etc... I have decided to try a new factory radiator and see how it goes...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked w/ Sean Roe this afternoon because before I found out how bad a shape my radiator was in, I had talked with him about upgrading from 8# pulley to a 10# pulley.

After talking with him about all of my mods, driving conditions, etc... I have decided to try a new factory radiator and see how it goes...

Sound consistent with what he has told me before. And that is, that the OE radiator is fine for cooling with a lower thermostat.

I somewhat disagree with that, as the lower stat does nothing when stuck in traffic when it's 100 deg outside, but Sean seems like a square shooter when it comes to the technical information highway.

Good luck!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had and still have the stock radiator with the 172 thermostat and the late model fan assembly. Zero overheating issues with the Roe going on three years+ ??

How much for the scrap aluminum radiator ?? :D Seriously.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had and still have the stock radiator with the 172 thermostat and the late model fan assembly. Zero overheating issues with the Roe going on three years+ ??

How much for the scrap aluminum radiator ?? :D Seriously.

What's that saying? One man's trash is another man's treasure. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte